No announcement yet.

Everything 2017 Off-Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any potential takers for JV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• michaelm_ wrote: View Post
      Are there any potential takers for JV?

Very seriously doubt it. A couple of potential dumping ground possibilities, but I doubt the Raps want to completely empty the cupboards of picks.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• michaelm_ wrote: View Post
        Are there any potential takers for JV?

I'd like to see what a pairing of JV and KP would look like. More of a conventional look I suppose, but that would be a very talented front court.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          I'd like to see what a pairing of JV and KP would look like. More of a conventional look I suppose, but that would be a very talented front court.
          Lol if JV somehow ends up in New York, they should just move somewhere to Europe and play in Euroleague.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            50 win teams don't just blow it up because there's tough competition in the conference - ever. It's not MLSE, it's not Masai, it just makes sense to see what you can do moving forward. Maybe nothing, maybe something.
            How much better than a 41-43 win team is a 50-win team if their playoff ceilings are the same? Because Atlanta, Indiana, and Chicago all just threw in the towel.

At this juncture there's no point in arguing about a rebuild because our path is basically set in stone. But I do think that at the end of this core's run, people should take off the rose-colored glasses and evaluate exactly how we got to be so stuck. And whether building from the middle is even possible for a team without a true superstar.

Because that's what separates us from some teams in the West. Teams wth true MVP candidates like Harden and Westbrook are adding pieces that could give them a real shot. Teams like Portland and the Clippers are simply in the same boat as us.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              How much better than a 41-43 win team is a 50-win team if their playoff ceilings are the same? Because Atlanta, Indiana, and Chicago all just threw in the towel.

At this juncture there's no point in arguing about a rebuild because our path is basically set in stone. But I do think that at the end of this core's run, people should take off the rose-colored glasses and evaluate exactly how we got to be so stuck. And whether building from the middle is even possible for a team without a true superstar.

Because that's what separates us from some teams in the West. Teams wth true MVP candidates like Harden and Westbrook are adding pieces that could give them a real shot. Teams like Portland and the Clippers are simply in the same boat as us.
              Atlanta, Indiana and Chicago all knew their stars were going to abandon them. The Raptors just re-signed their entire core for the next 3 years.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Atlanta, Indiana and Chicago all knew their stars were going to abandon them. The Raptors just re-signed their entire core for the next 3 years.
                Yeah, completely different situation. If Lowry and Ibaka pulled a Tucker and last year DeRozan pulled a Paul George, the Raptors would be rebuilding right now just like Chicago/Indiana/Atlanta.

And the difference is significant. Toronto is arguably the second best team in the conference (depends how much you like Boston), those three teams this past year would have been very happy to win in the first round - and they couldn't. In fact between the three teams they went 4-12 in the first round. They weren't any good.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Was really hoping we could move JV, say to SAC. Does a JV and BC for Koufos work? I know koufos makes half of what JV does; would be an alright starter on the interim beside Ibaka, gives a chance to showcase Yak a bit more, and would give us a bit more flexibility to add a wing like thabo, mbah a moute or a stretch 4 like ilyasova, jerebko, tolliver on short term deals.

Lowry, Delon, FVV
                  Demar, Norm, McKinnie
                  Miles, Thabo, OG
                  Ibaka, Ilyasova, Siakam
                  Koufos, Poeltl, Bebe

Having our so called core for this 3 year window and having our young guys Delon, Norm, OG, Siakam, Yak developing at the same time isn't bad at all imo.

Comment

• I don't know that I'm all that interested in adding more depth that could prevent guys like Norm, Wright, Pascal and OG from playing consistent minutes. Grabbing top level D-League guys is enough for injury insurance without risking the development of our more important prospects. Poeltl, Wright, Pascal, and ideally OG if the sales pitch is accurate, should all be ready to provide backup minutes this year, and Powell should be a full time starter. Adding a Thabo or Ilyasova just means those guys don't get to play as much.

I mean, I guess it would be fine, I just don't see a need for it right now. I'd rather save adding more talent for next summer, when more roster balancing moves are going to be needed regardless, and we'll have no hard cap, and will be free to trade for guys with our TPE or JV/Miles as ballast if desired.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I think we are settled with our wing depth with
                      DeRozan, Powell, CJ Miles, OG, Bruno, and two underling signing of Malcolm Miller and Alfonzo McKinnie with the latter having a shot to play on the roster. We need some depth at the forward/centre position. I would like to see the Raptors use whatever salary remaining on one of these players

Mason Plumlee - Plumlee can be our stretch big with Ibaka playing the 4 while Plumlee handles the 5 position. This move makes JV expendable as we find him suitor to upgrade our SF position.
                      Ersan Ilyasova - Ilyasova is our perfect 3 to start with this season, his definitely no Galinari but he can still produce and will provide us with that veteran and 3-point presence we lack of.
                      Pau Gasol - His veteran leadership should bring some noise at ACC but he won't come cheap to play his last or second last year in the league
                      JyMichael Green - This hidden gem is what I want the Raptors to target since he can become a Paul Millsap 2.0 and will look for a big raise in the future
                      Terrence Jones - Our last ditchin effort is to sign this guy and have him play the 3 alongside Ibaka and JV

Comment

• Raptors are off season winners, according to kevin o connor

4. Toronto*Raptors

Summer in a Nutshell:*It’s not time to blow it up (yet).
                        Summer League Player to Watch:Pascal Siakam

Masai Ujiri is having one hell of an offseason.*They signed Kyle Lowry and Serge Ibaka for only three years, dumped DeMarre Carroll’s albatross contract, drafted a potential steal in OG Anunoby, and turned a redundant backup point guard in Cory Joseph into a necessary sharpshooter in C.J. Miles. There are good things happening in Toronto.

If their internal improvements add up the way the front office is betting, the Raptors could really make a leap. Norman Powell is too good to not be starting, Delon Wright seems ready to be a capable backup point guard, and Bruno Caboclo might just be ahead of schedule on his development and could become a contributor. Who knows: OG Anunoby could come out blazing as a shooter after he returns from the torn ACL that ended his college career. The Raptors reportedly want*DeMar DeRozan shooting more 3s*and less contested midrange jumpers.*Per NBA.com/Stats, DeRozan shot 39.6 percent from 2-point range from 15 feet and out last season, which means he’d need to shoot only 26.3 percent from 3 for the same points-per-shot output. If he’s able to exceed that low number, the Raptors will benefit significantly. Ujiri should still consider*blowing it up, but first, let’s see how these reloaded Raptors develop and perform.
                        https://theringer.com/2017-nba-free-...s-44c3aa8d09f1
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Stackhouse is on the Lowe Post podcast that was released today. Not done with it yet but beyond the fight stories Zach, of course, had to ask about Bruno. Specifically he asked Stack if there was an NBA player in Bruno. Stack said absolutely, said he needs to build confidence, can sulk a bit now and then but he comes around, just needs to play. Paraphrasing a little but yeah.

Anyway, of course you can't really expect a new coach to bash a young player in his organization too much - but Stack didn't exactly hold back his true feelings on other parts of the podcast.
                          Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• How much better than a 41-43 win team is a 50-win team if their playoff ceilings are the same? Because Atlanta, Indiana, and Chicago all just threw in the towel.
                            About 7-9 wins better. Those teams didn't so much throw in the towel as had it thrown in for them when their stars all left or indicated they were leaving.

The logical conclusion of this line of thinking is that an organization may as well not even bother trying unless and until it has a top-5 calibre superstar. Since, by definition, there are only a handful of those guys in the NBA at any given time (let's be generous and say two handfuls) that means approximately 20 teams should not even try. If that is sensible, then the league should simply be 10 teams big.

No one has rose-coloured glasses on. I think everyone posting here understands this team's limitations. The disagreement is about how you characterize the current roster/team: you think they're "stuck" and I think it's terrific that Toronto has a perennial playoff team with a group of very good players for the next three years at a minimum. Opinions vary.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post

As long as we avoid Cleveland in rounds 1 or 2, there's no reason we shouldn't be in the ECF every year. I don't think we could've said the same about Atlanta, Indiana and Chicago.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                This is just patently not true.

Indiana:
                                - Hibbert fell off massively
                                - Stephenson caused locker room issues and they decided it wasn't worth trying to re-sign him, he signed a pretty below market deal with Charlotte at the time (in terms of years not dollars)
                                - DWest left after it was clear they weren't going to be contending anymore, same reason George wanted out now

Atlanta:
                                - They did actually re-sign Millsap the first go around
                                - They didn't re-sign Carroll because they had a replacement lined up in Bazemore and likely knew more about his physical limitations going forward than we (or Detroit) did.
                                - Lowballed Horford so he left
                                - Millsap left because the team is no longer really competing

Bulls:
                                - D-Rose broke down which completely fucked them
                                - We don't know that Butler even wanted out, he was reportedly surprised by the trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X