Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fewest touches per 36 in the NBA: Poeltl and Bebe

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...a-haters-ball/

Nice to see the much-anticipated Knicks pick behind such offensive juggernauts as Salah Mejri, Omer Asik, and Willie Reed

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Fewest touches per 36 in the NBA: Poeltl and Bebe

Nice to see the much-anticipated Knicks pick behind such offensive juggernauts as Salah Mejri, Omer Asik, and Willie Reed
      you know they've got the "rebound and hustle" role cards from Casey, so what do you expect?

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
        Fewest touches per 36 in the NBA: Poeltl and Bebe

smdh

Comment

• I'm still wondering where this culture reset is going to come from lol.

Comment

• Deems wrote: View Post
            I'm still wondering where this culture reset is going to come from lol.
            It's not, it's just a talking point. You can't keep all the exact same pieces in place and somehow reset the culture. Changes have to be made.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
              It's not, it's just a talking point. You can't keep all the exact same pieces in place and somehow reset the culture. Changes have to be made.
              Pretty easy to reset a culture.

Set up a system that emphasizes passing to not get a good shot, but to get the BEST shot. Included in that system are specific plays to open up three point shooters. Sit players who don't play along with the new system.

All of the top three teams run options off of set plays that involve the shot potentially after the 3rd, 4th or even the fifth pass. Raptors run few sets that involve more than double screens and two passes.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Set up a system that emphasizes passing to not get a good shot, but to get the BEST shot. Included in that system are specific plays to open up three point shooters. Sit players who don't play along with the new system.

All of the top three teams run options off of set plays that involve the shot potentially after the 3rd, 4th or even the fifth pass. Raptors run few sets that involve more than double screens and two passes.
                It's easy to reset the culture on paper, but much harder to mentally break the habit of everyone within the organization.

I'll be very surprised if whatever playbook changes we make, lasts more than 10-15 games before old habits rise to the surface. Casey likely isn't going to implement new disciplinary techniques when someone takes a bad shot.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I would agree with this if we changed SOMETHING. But the core is exactly the same. Same star players, same coach, same GM, same type of roster makeup. If we had gotten a new coach or maybe dealt a core guy then you could argue that real changes to our system might be incoming, but that didn't happen.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    It's easy to reset the culture on paper, but much harder to mentally break the habit of everyone within the organization.

I'll be very surprised if whatever playbook changes we make, lasts more than 10-15 games before old habits rise to the surface. Casey likely isn't going to implement new disciplinary techniques when someone takes a bad shot.
                    Yeah, the question will be what happens when that first 3 game losing streak hits and the offense isn't working and a couple of guys are struggling. Does everyone believe in what they are doing? Are they willing to take a step backward to take two steps forward later on? To me, the biggest challenge is that they absolutely need Lowry to buy in and get aligned with whatever it is they are going to do. If that happens, then it will work. If that doesn't happen, then it won't. It's going to be on the front office and coaching staff to be one loud voice convincing everyone that the changes are in the best interests of all to make that happen.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, the question will be what happens when that first 3 game losing streak hits and the offense isn't working and a couple of guys are struggling. Does everyone believe in what they are doing? Are they willing to take a step backward to take two steps forward later on? To me, the biggest challenge is that they absolutely need Lowry to buy in and get aligned with whatever it is they are going to do. If that happens, then it will work. If that doesn't happen, then it won't. It's going to be on the front office and coaching staff to be one loud voice convincing everyone that the changes are in the best interests of all to make that happen.
                      history is not exactly encouraging. Lowry will rule the roost and Casey won't be able to tell him otherwise.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                        I would agree with this if we changed SOMETHING. But the core is exactly the same. Same star players, same coach, same GM, same type of roster makeup. If we had gotten a new coach or maybe dealt a core guy then you could argue that real changes to our system might be incoming, but that didn't happen.
                        I think the key will be the style of play. If the style of play is better then I think it will be the biggest difference and determining factor of success. Lowry is good at doing a lot of different things, but he needs to take 3-4 less shots a game. DeKobe can do his thing but we need a few less isolations in favor of more ball movement. We typically run a pick n roll heavy offence that runs a lot of horns sets. We need to revamp this a bit. More back door cuts. Ibaka is good with the pick and pop. More high low cuts and passing is needed.

I think if they figure out how to do this we stand a good shot of making the finals... and not getting swept. I honestly don't think its as much of a personnel problem as many think.

That doesn't mean Casey is the number one problem either. He has been a good coach. He makes good game to game adjustments. His problem is primarily his in-game adjustments.

Over this time we have improved but we can do better to get better shots for our guys.

Demar's biggest issue a few years ago aside form handle was the amount he drove to the hoop. Now he drives a ton and he has mastered the midrange. He became more efficient, and developed a good post-up game.

OG's development I think will be very very important this year. Bruno is a whatever. You hope he can end up playing 5-8 minutes a game by the end of the year. That is dependent on two things. His defence has to be proven at the NBA level. It got better in the D-league, but now he needs real competition. The second thing is his ability to not be nervous and hit his shot without just jacking up shots either. He has good shot mechanics, and length. He has the potential to be a servicable rotation player, but we will see.

I don't know if getting a SF to replace Carroll is the best for us. We need OG and Bruno to develop. I don't know if that happens if we get a SF. It may create a tiny bit of a hole for this season or an area of weakness but that is fine for now. If the right person comes along then great. Otherwise Carroll/norm can hold down the fort until OG is ready.

Norm should play off the bench. We need his scoring to be consistent off the bench.

Bigs, We will be fine. Really curious to see our big men this Friday in summer league. Ignoring Bebe for a second we need to play Poetl as the backup this year as much as possible (10-15 minutes). We need to develop Siakam into a PF. Yes he could work as a small ball 5 but we need 4's and he should really be playing 4, especially if we have plans to play someone like Ibaka at the 5. Ideally, he fits in a Kenneth Faried mold where he has some limited offence (I think it will be better than Faried), but his main thing is his energy and defence if it can improve.

Passing, this goes without saying. We need everyone to get better at passing. Demar did it. Kyle has his moments and is overall a great passer, except I noticed he was more turnover prone when he got back from the injury. We need to either have oen of the rookies develop this ability. Poetl possess decent passing ability and court awareness so I would opt for that.

Ideally, we play JV off the bench throughout the year if we can't trade him. He fits the Greg Monroe build. Yes, he should get more touches. That doesn't mean he needs 10 more touches a game. Perhaps 3 more a game would suffice. JV's problem is his defence, additionally he just doesn't work as well in the "modern" nba. I think he would work off the bench. I would opt to start Poetl instead unless he can either up his defensive awareness. He is inconsistent. He will have a few games each year where he will throw up big numbers. I believe this year he had a 20pt + 16-20 rebound game. He did the same in the playoffs a few years ago but he needs to do this more and demand the ball a BIT more if he wants to continue to have a place on this team as well as in this league.

All in all I think this year is kind of a sneaky way for us to just develop our talent. The following year is where we need to be targeting for making a big leap towards competing with teams like warriors, because thats when Bron is not going to be in the eastern conference anymore.

Is this all optimistic? Yes, it is but, thats why I am the TrueTorontoFan

Comment

• Yes the dominant players on the team have to buy into the new style and there must be discipline to stick with it with those unwilling to be moved...to the bench or off the team. A tricky proposition as Phil Jackson found out with trying to install the triangle in NY. His main cogs did not like/want it. Popovich I heard hated the 3...but learned to like it...so it works both ways.

Good ball movement is just so pleasing to watch....when they play that style it is just amazing...and they tend to win...but do not sick with it. Maybe the next team is better at shutting the passing down...that's when they have to dig in and keep at putting up those assists. Look forward to the change.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                            history is not exactly encouraging. Lowry will rule the roost and Casey won't be able to tell him otherwise.
                            Well, if it's true that Lowry has been unhappy with strategy/gameplan, etc., then he should presumably be willing to embrace a change in those areas. You would hope that the front office, coaching staff and Lowry/Derozan would all be on the same page entering the new season given the new contracts, etc. Time will tell I guess but if getting swept by the Cavs didn't deliver a message that change was required then I am not sure what will...

Comment

• Lowry isn't the ISO player on the team.
                              If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Culture reset my ass, Casey's mind is like the rock that he pounds, dense and unmovable object.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Comment

Working...
                                X