X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

It was about the money.... because it almost always is. MLSE ownership always make sure they steer clear of the tax, years in advance.
    I'm making a slightly different point. MLSE knew about the tax crunch 2 years ago. The front office knew two years ago. So, yes, every team in the NBA is eyeing those tax rules and acting accordingly but that's always been the case for all but ~3 teams.

My point is that MLSE on both the NHL and NBA sides have often let guys get to FA and then do deals. It's had mixed results. The Leafs just paid Nylander bags of $$$ cause they had no choice they left it so late in the day. You can decide to pay $ or not but leaving the decisions to the last minute is what needs to change.

Leave a comment:

• G____Deane
    replied
    I'm going to be sad posting how Siakam is tearing it up in the Raptor's alumni thread....

Leave a comment:

• Kagemusha
    replied
    https://youtube.com/shorts/OULOmY9wn...zSIXb98BWRxsgf

Perfect fit

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

MLSE has generally let players go into the last year of deals and it has had mixed results. I think Ujiri's comments today about the uncertainty of free agency may foreshadow a change in philosophy on this point.

I think this is something where Pelley could and should get involved and tell Shanahan and Ujiri that we can't have this happening and you're going to need to deal with guys earlier then commit to stickhandling the $ side for them.
    It was about the money.... because it almost always is. MLSE ownership always make sure they steer clear of the tax, years in advance.

"When the league put in this new salary cap and this second apron and this real limitation on the way big market teams could stockpile star players, you're starting to see how teams like Golden State or L.A., others... it's hard to have three stars in this league right now," said Adrian Wojnarowski. "The league's goal was to start spurting that talent around. That's part of the reason why Pascal Siakam lands with the Indiana Pacers."
    Still, this is the first year of Brown’s career during which his team has been better with him on the court versus on the bench. He’s getting paid $22 M a year. The Raptors just traded two key contributors largely because of an upcoming tax crunch, and Quickley is about to get paid as a restricted free agent. It’s very possible the Raptors flip Brown for future assets; he is very good, and he might be too good for a Raptors team this year without Siakam or Anunoby. The team remains losing, of course. If that changes in the next week or two, and the wins start rolling in, maybe the Raptors keep Brown. But right now he feels like a luxury.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

Yeah I could see being sour on it if we got a shit return but alls well that ends well.
    MLSE has generally let players go into the last year of deals and it has had mixed results. I think Ujiri's comments today about the uncertainty of free agency may foreshadow a change in philosophy on this point.

I think this is something where Pelley could and should get involved and tell Shanahan and Ujiri that we can't have this happening and you're going to need to deal with guys earlier then commit to stickhandling the $ side for them.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

I don't understand this? Any team that wanted him was going to ask him this directly and he was going to tell them one way or another. It wasn't like teams were going to be tricked into trading for him without getting some assurance he wanted to stay. It being reported didn't hurt his value. What hurt his value was Toronto letting him get to the last year of his contract and then needing to do something with no leverage.
    Yeah I could see being sour on it if we got a shit return but alls well that ends well.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    BrydenB wrote: View Post
    I enjoyed watching his rise, and appreciate his contributions to the championship. I'll root for him in Indy, but the end tarnished it for me. Having your camp leak that you aren't signing an extension, no matter what, hurt the trade talks. He could have just simply said nothing.
    I don't understand this? Any team that wanted him was going to ask him this directly and he was going to tell them one way or another. It wasn't like teams were going to be tricked into trading for him without getting some assurance he wanted to stay. It being reported didn't hurt his value. What hurt his value was Toronto letting him get to the last year of his contract and then needing to do something with no leverage.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    Thad and RJ with their tribute to Pascal on back to back plays

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media...0_1280x720.mp4

https://videos.nba.com/nba/pbp/media...2_1280x720.mp4

Leave a comment:

• Kagemusha
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    Pascal stans are talking a lot of shit. Well now he's got a perfect team around him. No excuses. Lets see what he can do
    Nothing but respect and admiration for Pascal as a person. Hardworking, passionate, driven.
    His story is one of the greatest in the NBA.
    However he has to be traded away so the Raptors can finally reset.
    Many of the shit against him are partly due to the dismal state of the team.
    If the Raps happened to be up there among the best, you'll see none of these crap.

Leave a comment:

• BrydenB
    replied
    I enjoyed watching his rise, and appreciate his contributions to the championship. I'll root for him in Indy, but the end tarnished it for me. Having your camp leak that you aren't signing an extension, no matter what, hurt the trade talks. He could have just simply said nothing.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Yeah, I mean I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how much Pascal can feast in that Indy offence with shooters galore. Hope he does well and is happy there.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    Pascal stans are talking a lot of shit. Well now he's got a perfect team around him. No excuses. Lets see what he can do
    I don't know why fans feel the need to do this stuff either way. Pascal was great in Toronto. He was a great Raptor and a great success story. Can't everyone just be happy for what he did here and wish him the best while cheering for the new-look Raptors?

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    Love Pascal and everything he did for the organization but it was time.

This will be better for him and us in the long run.

He gets to play with a team of vets ready to contend for the title, and we get to build around our new young core.

I hope Indiana takes a long time figuring it out and takes the 7 seed (we get 8 seed), and then they go on a run in the playoffs where it no longer affects our draft position.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    The greatest development story for the Raptor franchise. Pascal was a big time professional.. and was a key cog in that championship. Helping the bench mob. That MIP season was so much fun to watch. Making two all-nba seasons.. one after coming off a shoulder surgery and missing the top part of the season too.

I hope somehow he can find a way to get back to this organization when he retires. And I wouldn't be too pissed if they ended up retiring his jersey one day. And I have no issues with Indiana as a franchise. I'm sure they will treat him well. The spacing around him will be something else.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X