No announcement yet.

An idea for our best lineup strategy this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This would sacrifice much of our screen and roll game, which Lowry and DeMar depend on. Ibaka is a flat-out stinky screen setter, and I don't know if Siakam is much better. It's possible this new offense isn't as dependent on on-ball screen to generate looks, but I don't know if I'd bet on it.

Comment

The thing is, it worked better with JV on the bench because then he could handle Monroe, while Ibaka only really had to worry about Thon Maker starting. When Ibaka went up against Monroe he struggled.

Making sure JV and Pascal aren't on the court together is a good idea.

I also agree with Skywalker and Ibaka not being as good at setting screens as JV is. It doesn't even have to be JV, I'm sure most of our other centres set good screens too.
      OG is our king

Comment

I appreciate the thought on the post. Casey has already said that Jv will be starting though.

Comment

Yea I'm definitely not feeling pascal starting. At this current moment he's a worse team defender than JV so if JV's defence is such a worry Pascal for damn sure shouldn't be starting. And I'm with Dan, over EIGHTY TWO games PLUS playoffs Ibaka's body will fall apart having to battle down low with those big strong starting centers night in and night out. Even the ones who aren't that good of players are still very strong and physical. And supposedly Ibaka lost 10 pounds so he's even lighter this season than last. The same way we wanna preserve Kyle we should want to preserve Ibaka because pascal ain't gon cut it right now and he's the only other true PF we have. But hey I'm down to try anything, if JV starting doesn't work out I have no problem starting Ibaka and trying it out. But to me JV has looked really good so far in the preseason and much lighter on the feet so I think he'll be fine
          I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

We have to start JV to showcase him and get his value back up. I think putting JV on the bench would have a negative impact on his confidence. If JV gets traded than we might get this lineup. I do agree this rotation does fit better with how they want to play.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue Oct 10, 2017, 04:27 AM.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              We have to start JV to showcase him and get his value back up. I think putting JV on the bench would have a negative impact on his confidence. If JV gets traded than we might get this lineup. I do agree this rotation does fit better with how they want to play.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
              This makes no sense. You don't start players to showcase them. And his value isn't going to magically shoot back up. He'll probably average about 10-10 like he normally does. We need to win games, not be worried about increasing JV's trade value.

Comment

Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                This makes no sense. You don't start players to showcase them. And his value isn't going to magically shoot back up. He'll probably average about 10-10 like he normally does. We need to win games, not be worried about increasing JV's trade value.
                We can win games with JV starting. We've done this in the past too. Did the exact same thing with Carroll. Hopefully we don't have to attach any picks to JV. This whole running plays through him might be enough to make a team jump.
                Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue Oct 10, 2017, 07:35 AM.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Lol so now we won't win games because we start JV? We've been winning games for 4 years starting JV, we will be fine. Starting Pascal is what might cause us to lose games. The rest of your lineup rotation I'm fine with for the most part but JV needs to be starting and it has nothing to do with showcasing him. I definitely agree that starting him isn't going to raise his value so if they're doing it for that reason yes that makes no sense.
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                    Lol so now we won't win games because we start JV? We've been winning games for 4 years starting JV, we will be fine. Starting Pascal is what might cause us to lose games. The rest of your lineup rotation I'm fine with for the most part but JV needs to be starting and it has nothing to do with showcasing him. I definitely agree that starting him isn't going to raise his value so if they're doing it for that reason yes that makes no sense.
                    They were shopping him all summer. Now they just paid Norm.. Obviously the organization believe that either one of Siakam/Poetlt/Ibaka could fill the void. They are showcasing him. They just aren't willing to trade him for nothing.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

They were shopping him all summer. Now they just paid Norm.. Obviously the organization believe that either one of Siakam/Poetlt/Ibaka could fill the void. They are showcasing him. They just aren't willing to trade him for nothing.
                      Obviously you believe that they believe "...that either one of Siakam/Poetlt/Ibaka could fill the void. They are showcasing him. They just aren't willing to trade him for nothing." Not so sure I am willing to believe you, particularly with respect to who "could fill the void." I don't think we've seen anything from Siakim or Poeltl that would lead us to believe they could do a better job than JV. As I posted above, we'll know a lot more by the midway mark.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                        Wtf I didn't say that.

I was just refuting Christian's reason for starting JV, it's a bad one. You start who will lead to wins not who you need to showcase.

We aren't showcasing JV, he's starting because he's one of our best players.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          Obviously you believe that they believe "...that either one of Siakam/Poetlt/Ibaka could fill the void. They are showcasing him. They just aren't willing to trade him for nothing." Not so sure I am willing to believe you, particularly with respect to who "could fill the void." I don't think we've seen anything from Siakim or Poeltl that would lead us to believe they could do a better job than JV. As I posted above, we'll know a lot more by the midway mark.
                          Why would they shop him if they didn't think they could fill that void? Ibaka says his preferred position is C. Raps resign him to big contract and than spend the summer shopping Jv. Also we've only seen games where as they have access to practice.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Wtf I didn't say that.

I was just refuting Christian's reason for starting JV, it's a bad one. You start who will lead to wins not who you need to showcase.

We aren't showcasing JV, he's starting because he's one of our best players.
                            Him being one our best players didn't stop him from us shopping him. I just don't think Masai would offer Ibaka contract and not play him to his strengths. Now you throw Powell's extension. This JV last year as a Raptor in IMO

Raptors played Ross/Carroll a head of Norm. Knowing that Norm was better than both. One year later they are both traded. I think same will happen to Jv.
                            Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue Oct 10, 2017, 08:57 AM.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Why would they shop him if they didn't think they could fill that void? Ibaka says his preferred position is C. Raps resign him to big contract and than spend the summer shopping Jv. Also we've only seen games where as they have access to practice.
                              Well, you don't know what they wanted in return for JV. The only really confirmed rumoured trade talk involving JV was a JV for Drummond deal way back in the spring.

As for the logic that since they shopped him they must want to go in a different direction, they shopped Norm too. They didn't get the offers they wanted for either player, so they kept them both. That doesn't spell a pending end for JV in Toronto any more than it does for Norm.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                                Well, you don't know what they wanted in return for JV. The only really confirmed rumoured trade talk involving JV was a JV for Drummond deal way back in the spring.

As for the logic that since they shopped him they must want to go in a different direction, they shopped Norm too. They didn't get the offers they wanted for either player, so they kept them both. That doesn't spell a pending end for JV in Toronto any more than it does for Norm.
                                When did they shop Norm?
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X