Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD was a complete embarrassment to the Raptors against the Cavs. So I would rather have Middleton too.

I love regular season DeMar. He was great last year. I really hate playoff DeMar though.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      There were big questions about their rebounding in particular, which were definitely proven wrong.

That said, the concerns with DeMar and Kawhi are really just concerns with DeMar's fit as an off-ball option. And we've got plenty of evidence of how that works.
      But DeMar doesn't have to play exclusively off the ball.

I mean come on guys basketball is more nuanced than that. You can have more than one guy who works well with the ball in his hands on the floor at the same time. Obviously you'll want to stagger them a bit (which we can do) but they can play together effectively.

I'm not sure where this idea that you can just leave DeRozan alone off the ball is coming from. He's a good shooter from the corners and shot 35% on catch and shoot threes last year (same as CJ on less volume, and about the same as OG also). Not to mention that it's not all about catch and shoot. He'll burn guys on close outs and with Nurse coaching we should see some sets with him acting as a cutter like Wade did on the Heat with LeBron.

Like I said I think some of you are underestimating how important relationships are in this league for acquiring and retaining talent. We want Kawhi to have as many reasons to stay as possible. If OKC doesn't have Westbrook to build that relationship with George he walks. I mean it's possible we could retain him without DeMar but we don't really have any other guys with that kind of cache around the league.

Comment

• It's going to be harder to game plan for Demar in the playoffs when he's not the primary focal point of the defence. That's what last seasons offence was supposed to be about and you add a legit top 5 guy and in reinforces that.

Comment

• I don't know why the conversation is about DeMar and offense (with or without Kawhi). We'd just lower his usage and we'd be fine. He's a threat even without the ball since he's good at slashing to the rim and finding seams in the paint. We changed our offense overnight and DD had a career year.

The problem will always be defense. He's way too much of a liability.. and we thought JV was the problem.. hahahah.. DeMar was so bad against Cleveland.. I mean what was JR Smith's efficiency again? Like over 70% ?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            DD was a complete embarrassment to the Raptors against the Cavs. So I would rather have Middleton too.

I love regular season DeMar. He was great last year. I really hate playoff DeMar though.
            Nobody game plans for defending Meddleton though.

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
              But DeMar doesn't have to play exclusively off the ball.

I mean come on guys basketball is more nuanced than that. You can have more than one guy who works well with the ball in his hands on the floor at the same time. Obviously you'll want to stagger them a bit (which we can do) but they can play together effectively.

I'm not sure where this idea that you can just leave DeRozan alone off the ball is coming from. He's a good shooter from the corners and shot 35% on catch and shoot threes last year (same as CJ on less volume, and about the same as OG also). Not to mention that it's not all about catch and shoot. He'll burn guys on close outs and with Nurse coaching we should see some sets with him acting as a cutter like Wade did on the Heat with LeBron.

Like I said I think some of you are underestimating how important relationships are in this league for acquiring and retaining talent. We want Kawhi to have as many reasons to stay as possible. If OKC doesn't have Westbrook to build that relationship with George he walks. I mean it's possible we could retain him without DeMar but we don't really have any other guys with that kind of cache around the league.
              His catch and shoot eFG% was 50.2%.

That ranks 10th on the Raptors, just behind Jonas.
              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                We play a team ball/system now though. Defense is what killed us against both Washington and especially against Cleveland. And DeMar was the worst in the series we got swept in.

If we subbed DD for Middleton I bet we beat Cleveland.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  Ding ding ding.

DeRozan is the opposing teams defense number 1 priority. Middleton is not, Antetokounmpo is. Middleton's job is to find an open spot and shoot.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    Ding ding ding.

DeRozan is the opposing teams defense number 1 priority. Middleton is not, Antetokounmpo is. Middleton's job is to find an open spot and shoot.
                    Do teams really try defending a single player anymore? Feels like systems are more complex with all the switching and trapping that they do. Our offense was pretty good in the playoffs.. it was the defense that was disgusting. And DeMar was a primary reason why it was so bad (well and Miles covering Love for a long stretch).

Comment

Do teams really try defending a single player anymore? Feels like systems are more complex with all the switching and trapping that they do. Our offense was pretty good in the playoffs.. it was the defense that was disgusting. And DeMar was a primary reason why it was so bad (well and Miles covering Love for a long stretch).
                      Cleveland gameplanned DeMar, specifically. They trapped him to get the ball out of his hands, then they overloaded the other side of the floor against Jonas and Lowry by cheating off DeMar(and Ibaka), and it allowed them to shut down the Raptors offense when DeMar was on the floor.

When DeMar was on the bench, our Ortg in the series was 133.

Comment

I don't know why the conversation is about DeMar and offense (with or without Kawhi). We'd just lower his usage and we'd be fine. He's a threat even without the ball since he's good at slashing to the rim and finding seams in the paint. We changed our offense overnight and DD had a career year.

The problem will always be defense. He's way too much of a liability.. and we thought JV was the problem.. hahahah.. DeMar was so bad against Cleveland.. I mean what was JR Smith's efficiency again? Like over 70% ?
                        Nevermind that the dynamics of the actual trade seem to be getting left behind.

Lowry is too old to be the centrepiece. Jonas is too big a flight risk...if he plays really well in San Antonio he opts out and could leave. This also means probably attaching more to him than you would have to with DeMar.

DeMar makes the most sense to trade for the deal and for building a balanced two-way team.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• let's not forget Derozan was guarded by JR Smith and Jeff Green
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Derozan has a career year and we got the Middleton comparison slithering it's way back

Lol never change RR
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Derozan has a career year and we got the Middleton comparison slithering it's way back

Lol never change RR
                              DeMar is better at what he does than Middleton is. It's not close. DeMar is exceptional, one of the best in the league, at what he does.

What Middleton does might be more valuable in a playoff series.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                DeMar is better at what he does than Middleton is. It's not close. DeMar is exceptional, one of the best in the league, at what he does.

What Middleton does might be more valuable in a playoff series.
                                Don't think anyone would argue that Middleton is a better player. He could never be a team's #1 option.

However you can argue that Middleton is a better fit in pretty much every other possible role.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X