This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Hey,no offence to anybody, all ideas and opinions are valid until proven wrong. However, if Boston who on paper looked like a historically bad defensive team to everyone before the season started could end up being the best defensive team when the actual season was being played then perhaps there could be a way for Demar and Kawahi to play together, and play well together. Just takes someone smarter than us like their coaches to figure it out.
    What?

Who thought Boston was going to be bad defensively?
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Hey,no offence to anybody, all ideas and opinions are valid until proven wrong. However, if Boston who on paper looked like a historically bad defensive team to everyone before the season started could end up being the best defensive team when the actual season was being played then perhaps there could be a way for Demar and Kawahi to play together, and play well together. Just takes someone smarter than us like their coaches to figure it out.
      Who thought Boston looked like a historically bad defensive team?

Maybe people didn't expect them to be elite, but I don't know if anyone thought they'd be the worst ever or even all that bad.

Even just moving Thomas out improved them by default, even with Kyrie not being a standout defender.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I recall many pointing to the loss of Crowder and Bradley, rebounding loss from Olynyk gone, gainng of Kyrie who has a less than stellar record as a defender...
        Last edited by LJ2; Mon Jul 16, 2018, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I recall many pointing to the loss of Crowder and Bradley, rebounding from loss from Olynyk, gaing of Kyrie who has a less than stellar record as a defender...
          There were big questions about their rebounding in particular, which were definitely proven wrong.

That said, the concerns with DeMar and Kawhi are really just concerns with DeMar's fit as an off-ball option. And we've got plenty of evidence of how that works.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I recall many pointing to the loss of Crowder and Bradley, rebounding loss from Olynyk gone, gainng of Kyrie who has a less than stellar record as a defender...
            I thought they'd struggle with rebounding(they did), but I never thought they'd be bad defensively. Kyrie isn't a good defender, but he's an upgrade on IT in that department.

Comment

I recall many pointing to the loss of Crowder and Bradley, rebounding loss from Olynyk gone, gainng of Kyrie who has a less than stellar record as a defender...
              You're arguing with 2 of derozand biggest fans.

I'm not saying it's my preferred trade, I'm just saying it's not like I WOULDN'T accept him coming if DeMar was still here
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                There were big questions about their rebounding in particular, which were definitely proven wrong.

That said, the concerns with DeMar and Kawhi are really just concerns with DeMar's fit as an off-ball option. And we've got plenty of evidence of how that works.
                Here's another one: wade and lebron. Lowry could be some sort of tiny backcourt Bosh, bring great defense great shooting and intangiblezz

Comment

• One of DeMar's comps on offense is a poor man's DWade. They shot the 3 poorly, got to the line a bunch, and were decent passers (though Wade was better).

People thought Wade wouldn't work next to LeBron with the ball out of his hands, but they figured it out. On D, Leonard actually boosts the value of DD by covering his weaknesses.

Now in a perfect world we wouldn't need that, but JV has his own defensive issues too, as he does struggle in the pick and roll. So the question is, who is easier to hide on D? A wing or a center? And to me it's pretty clear that it's the wing.

So you could go DD-Kawhi-Poeltl/Ibaka or Norm-Kawhi-JV and it's not clear to me that the second trio is better than the 1st. (I don't think we're getting Kawhi without sending OG so that doesn't change the calculus.)

To be clear, I have no preference between sending DD or JV either way, but I don't think it's as clear cut a situation as "DD must go" as is being made out here on RR.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                    One of DeMar's comps on offense is a poor man's DWade. They shot the 3 poorly, got to the line a bunch, and were decent passers (though Wade was better).

People thought Wade wouldn't work next to LeBron with the ball out of his hands, but they figured it out. On D, Leonard actually boosts the value of DD by covering his weaknesses.

Now in a perfect world we wouldn't need that, but JV has his own defensive issues too, as he does struggle in the pick and roll. So the question is, who is easier to hide on D? A wing or a center? And to me it's pretty clear that it's the wing.

So you could go DD-Kawhi-Poeltl/Ibaka or Norm-Kawhi-JV and it's not clear to me that the second trio is better than the 1st. (I don't think we're getting Kawhi without sending OG so that doesn't change the calculus.)

To be clear, I have no preference between sending DD or JV either way, but I don't think it's as clear cut a situation as "DD must go" as is being made out here on RR.
                    The Heat figured it out because Wade is one of the greatest offensive wings in the history of the game.

DeMar is good. He's not Wade.

Comment

• Everything 2018 Off Season

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                      Here's another one: wade and lebron. Lowry could be some sort of tiny backcourt Bosh, bring great defense great shooting and intangiblezz
                      Knew someone would bring them up. They are both all time greats, terrific playmakers, scorers, unselfish and so on. Nothing those 2 can’t do and no surprise they worked well together.

Although I think Derozan and Kawhi can figure it out, but I wouldn’t be upset if Derozan gets traded.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        That's an interesting one. And if Kawhi was half the passer LeBron is, or DeMar half the defender D-Wade was, I'd have more hope we could replicate that success.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          One of DeMar's comps on offense is a poor man's DWade. They shot the 3 poorly, got to the line a bunch, and were decent passers (though Wade was better).

I don't think Norm enters into the equation either way. I also don't think a JV-centric offer can be assumed to be the same prospect cost as a DD-centric one. I wouldn't trade OG along with DD. While with JV, clearly there would be a significant prospect cost, probably including OG. Certainly, if you send OG, you try to keep Wright, who would be the guy at the 2 in Powell's place in that scenario where both DD and OG are outgoing.

They don't HAVE to get rid of DD. That doesn't mean people can't think the team is better if they do.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                            The Heat figured it out because Wade is one of the greatest offensive wings in the history of the game.

He's basically as good right now as wade was by the time 2013 and 14 rolled around. That was not young spry mvp level wade anymore

Maybe not in playoffs but as a regular season scorer.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post

Right, which is why I said he's a poor man's Wade. But Wade wasn't a catch-and-shoot player, he was a slasher who drew a lot of fouls, and they figured out how to play together.

It's also said DeMar is a Rip Hamilton type player. If Nurse is as clever as we hope he is, he should be able to figure out how to get DeMar moving in a way to best maximize his value.

We aren't plugging Kawhi into Casey's "ride or die" offense anymore. There is an opportunity to revamp things to fit our personnel.

Comment

• This is becoming what Derozan theoretically could be under Nurse vs What he has been last year debate. Let's be real though. Derozan is closer to Rudy Gay, Carmelo Anthony than he is to Wade.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X