No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm starting to like Brandon Knight now. I've been watching clips of him during his college year and although he wasn't 'great' or anything, I liked the things he can do. He can hit big shots, he's quick, he can drive and score with contact, he's also a good passer and if he improves his ability to find teammates then he will be very good. The only thing about Knight is that, I can see him also becoming a low percentage shooting PG. If he's still on the board, and Kanter isn't, I'd go for Knight ahead of Walker.

Comment

• Burksy is fine just fine!
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Raps are working out a bunch of late first round/early second round players the next few days. Interesting.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Walker v. Fredette off?

Interesting..

The Kings' highly anticipated pre-draft workout that was to feature both Connecticut's Kemba Walker and BYU's Jimmer Fredette will not happen this week.

Walker, who led UConn to the national championship last season, will not join Fredette for the workout, which is not expected to be held before Thursday.

No reason was given for Walker's decision not to participate, but the Kings expect to have the point guard in for a workout before the June 23 draft.
          LINK

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
            Interesting..

LINK
            If Walker called it off, you can't blame him. While it would be nice to see them go against one another, in this situation, Walker is the one with nothing to gain and everything to lose. Jimmer might have his best day EVER and Walker might stub his toe that morning. 3 and 4 years of college ball each should mean more and give a better indication of talent as opposed to a couple of hours workout.

Comment

• Yeah, not really surprising news at all.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker are both going to be in Toronto tomorrow for workouts.

Chad Ford reports on Twitter
                http://twitter.com/#!/chadfordinsider
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• A.M. workout Tuesday: Kemba Walker, Jacob Pullen, Will Graves, Marcus Simmons, Dallas Lauderdale, Curtis Kelly.
                  P.M. workout Tuesday: Brandon Knight, Isaiah Thomas, Alex Stephenson, Frank Hassell

Eric Smith
                  http://twitter.com/#!/Eric__Smith
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• On Friday, it was the Jazz (owners of the third overall pick) getting a private workout with Kanter and today, it was the Raptors' turn.

"We went out last night, we had a nice face-to-face meeting," said Raptors senior director of scouting Jim Kelly via telephone after the workout. "We met the staff, we met him, met the people that are going to be working with him. I thought that went excellent. We had a great discussion last night and followed it up with a workout today."

Obviously the Raptors' brass would have preferred to see Kanter in more of a game-type simulation ("In a perfect world we always like to see them go five-on-five for a 40-minute game," Kelly said), but if there's anything to be gleaned from Monday's session, it's that Kanter used his time away from competitive basketball wisely. He was reportedly on the floor for 75 minutes along with Raptors assistant coach Scott Roth and Kelly was highly complimentary of Kanter’s strength and conditioning.

With reports of a great motor, excellent touch around the rim and impressive range with his face-up game, Kanter could easily be viewed by the Raptors as the best player available if he's on the board at five. But the natural follow-up question is can he also address a need for this team and play centre?

Kelly said that Kanter is "probably as strong as any five in the draft right now," but was not ready to project him as a centre at the NBA level just yet.

"I wish I could tell you I have enough of a handle and experience watching him play enough [to say] exactly where that I can put him in on the floor there," he said. "I think we have the hope that he can play the five, but we really haven't seen him in enough games on this level where you can actually be really 100 per cent sure."

Like many other top-ranked prospects, the Raptors' have been keeping tabs on Kanter for several years. But Monday's workout kicks off a critical stretch of final evaluations for a draft class that boasts plenty of intriguing talent, but is also dotted with just as many question marks.

Tuesday will see the first of four scheduled workouts at ACC with highly touted guards Brandon Knight and Kemba Walker expected to attend; with reports suggesting that upwards of eight other prospects may also be present at ACC.
                    http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/raptorsdotcom_060611
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      A.M. workout Tuesday: Kemba Walker, Jacob Pullen, Will Graves, Marcus Simmons, Dallas Lauderdale, Curtis Kelly.
                      P.M. workout Tuesday: Brandon Knight, Isaiah Thomas, Alex Stephenson, Frank Hassell

Eric Smith
                      http://twitter.com/#!/Eric__Smith
                      I'm interested to see what they think of Thomas. He just strikes me as a 2nd round steal in the making.

Comment

• Today (June 7) will be an interesting day in terms of evaluating Kanter. Sure the Raptors worked him out yesterday, but today he is working out for Cleveland and they have him working against competition. Kanter will be working out against both Tristan Thompson and Marcus Morris, both of whom are expected to go in the top 10.

I'm guessing that by the end of the day we will have reports coming out from guys like Chad Ford and Jonathan Givony as to how Kanter matched up.
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• First you get the draft pick, then you get the power.

If the Raptors draft a big man Bargnani is as good as gone. My hope is that they can work something for the #2 pick involving Bargnani heading to Minnesota, while they retain the #5. At that point they're in the drivers seat of the 1st round. They can take a high profile PG or big man with the #2 and #5. They would be able to manipulate the draft to make sure they get what they want at #5. For example, they know the Jazz might look to draft a big man at #3 but we know for sure that the Cavs want one at #4. If the Raptors get the #2 and let it be known they're taking Kanter or Val, which ever guy the Cavs want at #4, then maybe the Cavs flip the script and take Williams #1 overall and grab Knight or Walker at #4. Meanwhile the Raptors could take Irving at #2. See where I'm going with this? With the #2 and #5 picks the Raptors would have a lot of power early in the draft. They could work it to get the two prospects they want or they could use the picks to leverage a trade.

There is a scenario that could play out where the Raptors would land both Irving and Kanter with the #2 and #5. Wouldn't that be crazy? Let's hope that Colangelo stay the frontrunner for the #2 pick and getsit done without having to give up DeRozan or Davis.

Comment

• Would I ever like to get a peek at this:

Today in Toronto, Kemba Walker and Brandon Knight will go head to head. Knight goes in as the favorite for the Raptors at No. 5, so Walker would need to really outplay Knight to hear his name called at No. 5.
                            Source: TheHoopsReport.com

Comment

• I thought I read one is in the AM and one in the PM. Knight's group requested separate workouts.

Comment

• Makes sense. Kemba would hurt the guy's draft status.

Comment

Working...
                                X