Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CNNSI Grades the same as ESPN C- for Raps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I wrote threads and threads and threads on flexibility that lead to nothing.

    We don't know what kind of deals are out there. The Raptors got an upper tier SF who is overpaid for a promising PF who couldn't stop anyone. If Rudy Gay was paid $12-13M this is a non-issue because Memphis doesn't trade him.

    I am cautiously optimistic (and I feel confident I'll get burned on that) but I want to see what happens next.
    I read and agreed with each and every one of those threads, unfortunately Colangelo isn't on the forum...(or is he?).

    I agree that we only can get Gay because of his contract, but perhaps Gay wasn't the right target. Maybe we wait a bit longer and the Pacers move Granger ($13 million) for the exact same package? It's hard to say.

    I neither love or hate the deal. I hate that we are a capped out team that might break .500. I love that we added talent.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

    If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

    Comment


    • #17
      The move in isolation warrants a C- based on the cap situation. But if we somehow find ways to trade/dump/amnesty Bargnani, Kleiza, DeRozan and/or Fields, the picture looks a lot brighter.

      I'm excited about a core of Lowry, Gay, Jonas and Ross (and maybe even Amir).

      A Lowry/Gay pairing might be enticing enough to attract a 3rd banana this summer....Millsap perhaps???

      Comment


      • #18
        Axel wrote: View Post
        I read and agreed with each and every one of those threads, unfortunately Colangelo isn't on the forum...(or is he?).

        I agree that we only can get Gay because of his contract, but perhaps Gay wasn't the right target. Maybe we wait a bit longer and the Pacers move Granger ($13 million) for the exact same package? It's hard to say.

        I neither love or hate the deal. I hate that we are a capped out team that might break .500. I love that we added talent.
        I remember a thread around the start of the season, that had a poll for which SF the Raptors should target. I voted for Gay then and I would still rather have him (down season, big contract and all) instead of guys like Granger, Iguodala, Deng, Ilyasova, etc...

        I think he's a great player and, with a few more moves, Toronto could very quickly become a perennial playoff team.

        Comment


        • #19
          Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          Sorry to change topics, but just curious how much you guys think Ed Davis would command once his rookie scale contract is up? Could that be something to consider when guaging this trade? I would think he'd command more than Amir or Fields putting him around $8 Million a season. When you put that up against Gay's contract and consider that you are filling a position of need at SF for a player (ED) that is a duplicate of Amir, albeit with more upside, and that you already are paying Andrea whom occupies the same position....Thoughts?
          Davis' numbers were destined to drop with Bargnani's arrival. That I'm sure of. He wouldn't have maintained his current pace.

          And in Memphis, I don't see him getting more than 20 mpg (at best). I just can't see him establishing himself as anything more than a backup PF.

          We FINALLY cashed in on an overvalued player.

          Comment


          • #20
            One thing to keep in mind here is that the Raptors are not the only team out there with expiring contracts. There are several teams out there that have a guy like Calderon that they're hoping to get something instead of nothing. If we can find a deal where we get such a player, then the flexibility (albeit a very small wiggle room) of an expiring contract returns.

            With all these "crazies" saying Rudy Gay is basically the same as DeRozan, here's hoping there are owners out there dumb enough to believe this. DeRozan contract is bad, but if BC can spin it in such a way as to say "Hey look, he's the same as Gay but cheaper and younger!", we might have some options.
            Last edited by ebrian; Thu Jan 31, 2013, 11:11 AM.
            your pal,
            ebrian

            Comment


            • #21
              Nilanka wrote: View Post
              The move in isolation warrants a C- based on the cap situation. But if we somehow find ways to trade/dump/amnesty Bargnani, Kleiza, DeRozan and/or Fields, the picture looks a lot brighter.

              I'm excited about a core of Lowry, Gay, Jonas and Ross (and maybe even Amir).

              A Lowry/Gay pairing might be enticing enough to attract a 3rd banana this summer....Millsap perhaps???
              Millsap has said he wants to go where he will be guaranteed to start as a PF.

              I was thinking Indiana but supposedly he wants to stay and Indiana wants him.

              Sign and trade Millsap for DD would be AWESOME.

              Comment


              • #22
                SI.com wrote:
                Rudy Gay’s fantasy owners: Winners. It will be a shock if he doesn’t wind up averaging 20+ points per game for the rest of his stay in Toronto.
                Woohoo!! My Dynasty team could use a boost.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Millsap has said he wants to go where he will be guaranteed to start as a PF.

                  I was thinking Indiana but supposedly he wants to stay and Indiana wants him.

                  Sign and trade Millsap for DD would be AWESOME.
                  Bryan needs to somehow get rid of Bargnani, DeRozan and Kleiza. If he brings back Millsap (J Smith will work, but I don't see it happening), a capable backup PG and a shooter (someone like Reddick or Korver) then I *might* consider extending him.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I actually found a negative comment about Memphis in all this. Not sure who this scout is, but he has a Popovich blunt-ness to him that I appreciate.

                    "These trades are absolutely terrible," a Western Conference scout said. "Gay is a young star. He has been used as Memphis' third option this season. They hardly ran any plays for him. Prince has been finished for two years. Speights complemented [Marc] Gasol and Randolph, which Davis doesn't. And Daye can't play dead."



                    Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...#ixzz2JZVJZFIi
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                    If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Axel wrote: View Post
                      "These trades are absolutely terrible," a Western Conference scout said. "Gay is a young star. He has been used as Memphis' third option this season. They hardly ran any plays for him. Prince has been finished for two years. Speights complemented [Marc] Gasol and Randolph, which Davis doesn't. And Daye can't play dead."
                      But nooooooo, he's their 1st option cuz he takes a lot of shots! [sarcasm]

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Davis' numbers were destined to drop with Bargnani's arrival. That I'm sure of. He wouldn't have maintained his current pace.

                        And in Memphis, I don't see him getting more than 20 mpg (at best). I just can't see him establishing himself as anything more than a backup PF.

                        We FINALLY cashed in on an overvalued player.
                        Thats true, ED would not be getting the type of numbers he is currently getting once Andrea returns. I was just thinking with all the negative comments that from media about how bad this trade is for the Raptors that it should be pointed out that if we didn't move ED, we would have to pay him a sizeable contract to keep him, and have yet another PF signed long term.

                        I don't want to say we cashed in on an overvalued player because I reserve that line for getting anything in return for Andrea or Landry, but we definitely used an asset to get better. I gotta say it now that the Raptors need to be playing Ross even more minutes to close out the season, so he's ready to be our staring SF next season.

                        Lowry
                        Ross
                        Gay
                        Milsap, Al Jefferson, J. Smith, D. West?
                        JV

                        That looks like a second round playoff team imo.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Yup, we need big steps forward from both Ross and Jonas next season (I've already written off this season).

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Yup, we need big steps forward from both Ross and Jonas next season (I've already written off this season).
                            You say written off this season, but I am curious as to where they will finish. Can Gay boost them into the 8th seed? Best case scenario is still to finish 9th and give OKC the pick in my opinion.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                            If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Axel wrote: View Post
                              You say written off this season, but I am curious as to where they will finish. Can Gay boost them into the 8th seed? Best case scenario is still to finish 9th and give OKC the pick in my opinion.
                              Best case scenario would be get a top 3 pick and then make the playoffs from here to eternity, no?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Axel wrote: View Post
                                I actually found a negative comment about Memphis in all this. Not sure who this scout is, but he has a Popovich blunt-ness to him that I appreciate.

                                "These trades are absolutely terrible," a Western Conference scout said. "Gay is a young star. He has been used as Memphis' third option this season. They hardly ran any plays for him. Prince has been finished for two years. Speights complemented [Marc] Gasol and Randolph, which Davis doesn't. And Daye can't play dead."



                                Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...#ixzz2JZVJZFIi
                                That is certainly as solid an opinion as anyone else's, in my opinion!

                                The other thing to remember with all this cap killing talk is Gay only has 2 seasons remaining on current deal. I think it is blown out of proportion for a team that has limited trade assets they are willing to trade and has little to no chance at free agency.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X