No announcement yet.

Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, at least I don't have to change my avatar.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Obvious move is obvious.
      Which is funny because the obvious move last summer was to fire him.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Obvious move is obvious.

Seems like they shredded the team option though (according to Grange) and it's just three years starting now.
        Ok good. That's the kind of deal I was hoping for. 3 more years from now with a raise. Makes it easy enough to let him go at any time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
          obviously it was inevitable that they would do this.
          Keeping that duo together will be a huge mistake.
          Yup. Keeping this duo together means we have reached our ceiling. We will never haver a better season than this season until one of Casey or DeRozan is gone.

Comment

• Now it will be interesting to see what happens with the rest of the staff. Assistants coming back would be nice, but if some get poached, who do you get to replace them? I liked Greer's defensive system, so I'd hope for another Thibs disciple.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
              Yup. Keeping this duo together means we have reached our ceiling. We will never haver a better season than this season until one of Casey or DeRozan is gone.
              Really? This season, where our starting SF missed most of the season and was playing hurt for the playoffs, and our young, promising starting C missed chunks of the season and playoffs, and we were starting Luis freaking Scola at PF, is the ceiling?
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                Yup. Keeping this duo together means we have reached our ceiling. We will never haver a better season that this season until one of Casey or DeRozan is gone.
                I don't know about that, but there's gotta be some pressure from on high to make sure more adjustments are made next year. It's plainly obvious our offence can't be what it is, and that at the very least JV's usage needs to go up. Theoretically these things can all happen with both guys here. Experience has taught us all not to expect that though.

I'm hoping if we're not performing as well next year and we're running the same bullshit offence with JV again under 10 shots per game, it'll be enough to make a change.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• I'm still confused as to how Scola ended up starting in 75+ games this season. Was it blackmail? Just hope Masai doesn't bring in a washed up vet again on the minimum.. because that guy's going to end up playing 20 minutes per game.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    I'm still not at all convinced this would happen under Casey. DeMar/Lowry didn't defer to JV when he was dominating in the playoffs. Instead they tried to #EmptyTheClip.

I'm not 100% convinced that as long as it's Casey/Lowry/DeMar, they're [n]ever going to defer, no matter who the next guy is.
                    The bold is the key, and what concerns me. We can all argue around in circles as to whether it's Casey's fault, DeRozan's fault, Lowry's fault, MU's fault, the fault of the rest of the roster, etc... but the bottom line is that a guard-centric, ISO-heavy offensive strategy will prevent the Raptors from ever being legit title contenders.

Something with the Casey/DeRozan/Lowry core needs to give. A complete overhaul of the offensive game-plan could be the simple solution. However, through word and deed over the past several years, there's been no indication that this is a likely outcome, hence the arguing in circles.

A switch to an inside-out offensive system, or at least an offensive game-plan that is more balanced between the current strategy and an inside-out attack, could be the fix that cures all our ills related to usage (both over and under, depending on the player) and efficiency. Of course, the million dollar question is how effective would Lowry (not a traditional pass-first PG) and/or DeRozan (poor outside shooter and not a great off-the-ball player) continue to be in a system that isn't tailored to maximize their personal strengths?

I have opinions, as we all do, but none of us really have the answer. Has the coach coached the way he has because of the players? Have the players played the way they have because of the system? Can everybody adapt to a new system? Tough to say, but with 2/3 of the core back (3/4 if you include JV as the emerging inside player forcing a change to the offensive system) next season already, it looks like we're all about to find out.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Jun 2, 2016, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• I've always thought one of the best reasons for keeping Casey was because he seems to be the only coach that could keep Lowry in check and seemed to bring the best out of him. Fitting Casey's contract ends around the same time Lowry starts his decline.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I'm still confused as to how Scola ended up starting in 75+ games this season. Was it blackmail? Just hope Masai doesn't bring in a washed up vet again on the minimum.. because that guy's going to end up playing 20 minutes per game.
                        I hear Bargs is available

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                          I hear Bargs is available

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I'm still confused as to how Scola ended up starting in 75+ games this season. Was it blackmail? Just hope Masai doesn't bring in a washed up vet again on the minimum.. because that guy's going to end up playing 20 minutes per game.
                            We all assume the big upgrade is coming, but as you start to look around the league you realize it is going to be very difficult to find a power forward that is better or even as good as patrick patterson
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              The bold is the key, and what concerns me. We can all argue around in circles as to whether it's Casey's fault, DeRozan's fault, Lowry's fault, MU's fault, the fault of the rest of the roster, etc... but the bottom line is that a guard-centric, ISO-heavy offensive strategy will prevent the Raptors from ever being legit title contenders.

Something with the Casey/DeRozan/Lowry core needs to give. A complete overhaul of the offensive game-plan could be the simple solution. However, through word and deed over the past several years, there's been no indication that this is a likely outcome, hence the arguing in circles.

A switch to an inside-out offensive system, or at least an offensive game-plan that is more balanced between the current strategy and an inside-out attack, could be the fix that cures all our ills related to usage (both over and under, depending on the player) and efficiency. Of course, the million dollar question is how effective would Lowry (not a traditional pass-first PG) and/or DeRozan (poor outside shooter and not a great off-the-ball player) continue to be in a system that isn't tailored to maximize their personal strengths?

I have opinions, as we all do, but none of us really have the answer. Has the coach coached the way he has because of the players? Have the players played the way they have because of the system? Can everybody adapt to a new system? Tough to say, but with 2/3 of the core back (3/4 if you include JV as the emerging inside player forcing a change to the offensive system) next season already, it looks like we're all about to find out.
                              I would have much less issue with our system if it were making the smart play based on the defence. But how many times have we seen a defence keyed in on DD, leaving JV or someone wide open and Demar takes a contested jumper instead of moving the ball? That's a culture that's been crafted.

We don't need to become the Warriors with ball movement but we do have to make the smart play. We don't see that under Casey or with Demar and that is a serious problem if we want to really contend.

Comment

• It's very hard for me to shake the feeling that we are going to be mired in neutral for the next few years, but I'll try to stay optimistic. Good luck DC.

Comment

Working...
                                X