Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I don't know that DeRozan is the driver for lower assist rates. He's pretty close to middle of the pack for on-court assist rates for the team. Joseph, Patterson and Biyombo are lower. If DeMar was the one driving the lack of ball movement, I think he'd end up with the worst on-court AST% as whenever he sat the team would revert to its presumably intended ball-moving ways.
    Ah that's a good point, didn't look at it that way.

Comment

I don't know that DeRozan is the driver for lower assist rates. He's pretty close to middle of the pack for on-court assist rates for the team. Joseph, Patterson and Biyombo are lower. If DeMar was the one driving the lack of ball movement, I think he'd end up with the worst on-court AST% as whenever he sat the team would revert to its presumably intended ball-moving ways.
      But DeRozan does have the highest off-court assist rate on the team, which is also part of the puzzle.

I don't have an answer here, because the offense went through stretches this season, regardless of personnel, where it looked great. So I really don't know the answer, but I do think finding ways for our offense to be less solve-able next year is important, because we looked very stoppable on that end in the playoffs.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        But DeRozan does have the highest off-court assist rate on the team, which is also part of the puzzle.

I don't have an answer here, because the offense went through stretches this season, regardless of personnel, where it looked great. So I really don't know the answer, but I do think finding ways for our offense to be less solve-able next year is important, because we looked very stoppable on that end in the playoffs.
        He does indeed have the highest off-court assist rate, but the off-court rates are pretty tightly grouped - his on-off court split for AST% is -4.2. Joseph's is -5.3. Patterson's is -3.2. Again, he's not the standout, so I doubt he's the driver. It's more of a system thing. And hopefully with JV proving his ability in the playoffs, we see some system adjustments (the ones suggested by Masai in his pressers, more use for JV and a bigger role in the offence).
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

He does indeed have the highest off-court assist rate, but the off-court rates are pretty tightly grouped - his on-off court split for AST% is -4.2. Joseph's is -5.3. Patterson's is -3.2. Again, he's not the standout, so I doubt he's the driver. It's more of a system thing. And hopefully with JV proving his ability in the playoffs, we see some system adjustments (the ones suggested by Masai in his pressers, more use for JV and a bigger role in the offence).
          The biggest criticism I tend to see of JV is that people think he's a bad passer, which I disagree with not statistically, but from the eye test. When we have players moving around him, he can look like a very good passer. But it's hard to pass out of the post into a static defense, so when we have other guys just standing around, he doesn't have those lanes to create into.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

The biggest criticism I tend to see of JV is that people think he's a bad passer, which I disagree with not statistically, but from the eye test. When we have players moving around him, he can look like a very good passer. But it's hard to pass out of the post into a static defense, so when we have other guys just standing around, he doesn't have those lanes to create into.
            Yeah, I'm not worried at all about putting JV in a playmaking role in the high or low post. With reps he'll get better at seeing doubles coming and making the right play, and having him out there with PP and Carroll more (two very good cutters) should help the offence move a bit on post plays.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The last two pages have given me a strong feeling of DeMar-ja vu.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Mermuys is heading to LA. Know any good development coaches?

Comment

• Well we've still got Mahlalela; maybe he'll be promoted to 905 coach.

Comment

My only gripe with JV is that he tends to put his head down when he's in the paint, which makes it impossible to see any targets to pass to or the 2nd man coming to steal the ball on the weak side. When his head is up I think JV has above-average touch on his passes for a big man.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                      My only gripe with JV is that he tends to put his head down when he's in the paint, which makes it impossible to see any targets to pass to or the 2nd man coming to steal the ball on the weak side. When his head is up I think JV has above-average touch on his passes for a big man.
                      I think he just needs more in-game reps to start learning that, he'll be fine.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Some people are just going to hate no matter the sucess. We could get to the Finals next year but, same people will still be saying that he's a bad coach. Haters gon hate.
                        If CAVS blow things up and LeBron continues to decline it's not so far fetched.

Comment

• Who even says the Cavs need to blow things up? How about if we upgrade the 4 spot and have a healthy Jonas?

Comment

• Mermuys is gone to the Lakers.

We lost a great coach and head of the 905. So we will have a HC change, guys.
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• The main problem with our offense in the playoffs, was that our role-players weren't making their open shots consistently. Patterson, Caroll, Ross and Joseph. That left it up to Demar and Lowry who were hot and cold throughout the playoffs.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                                The main problem with our offense in the playoffs, was that our role-players weren't making their open shots consistently. Patterson, Caroll, Ross and Joseph. That left it up to Demar and Lowry who were hot and cold throughout the playoffs.
                                That's a problem but I wouldn't say it's necessarily the main problem. I think the main problem was generally that our offense wasn't diversified enough. We started trying to incorporate JV more in the playoffs to change that, but it was unnatural because he was basically not used like that at all during the regular season.

If we make that a focal point from day 1 of 2016/17 then we have a 3-headed, more multi-faceted attack as opposed to just two (especially when those two are guards). Definitely will give us a lot better options in the playoffs and make us tougher to defend. I think also doing that will increase the attention that JV draws on the offensive end making things even easier for our role players.

Yeah we do need guys to make shots of course, but it's bigger than that. It makes me really optimistic though because even with all of those flaws AND JV being injured for most of the Heat series we still won 10 playoff games.

Comment

Working...
                                X