Everything Bismack Biyombo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    For the first time in my 21 years as a Raptors fan, I was jumping up and down while watching at home.

That block on Wade, and the dunk on the ensuing possession, was arguably the greatest sequence of the season.

Thank you, BB8!
    Wasn't it Dunk -> Block -> Finger wag -> Dunk?

When the camera panned down to the offensive end, and Demar was stopped at the top of the key I was screaming "COME ON BIG BIZNESS WHERE YOU AT!!!" and then he appeared for that slam. Absolutely love the 40-year old president of the DRC!

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
      Wasn't it Dunk -> Block -> Finger wag -> Dunk?

When the camera panned down to the offensive end, and Demar was stopped at the top of the key I was screaming "COME ON BIG BIZNESS WHERE YOU AT!!!" and then he appeared for that slam. Absolutely love the 40-year old president of the DRC!
      Ya, might've been a dunk before the block. The whole thing was a bit of a blur, lol.

And if Patterson had nailed that corner 3 on our next possession, they would've felt shockwaves in Indonesia.

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
        What do we offer Biz?

Physically a long term is no worry and maybe he'll improve modestly but he wont regress. 10M x 4? Hes younger than JV maybe they can sign him longer than that. Looking at Amirs celtic conytact pretty sure someone will offer him 12-14/yr but would the raptors with JV?
        Our offer would be heavily hindered by DeRozan's max offer. I don't think we can offer more than mid level exception.

Comment

• Biz had an amazing game. DeRozan and Lowry rightfully deserve a lot of credit but Biz should be right there with them. Biz gained the most from that game. I think it was sort of a "coming out" game for him being that it's game five of round two and it's a prime time game in the states. Anyone sleeping on Biz now has him on their target list for the summer.

Because athletic traditional centers are so hard to find nowadays I could see his price tag being quite large due to demand. I seriously wouldn't be shocked if a team give him $15M/yr. A $60M bet(Carroll money) on Biz is probably alright in the new landscape even though it sounds really high. If he is 23 then he has at least another two or three years before he peaks. We've seen him do some things here and there that he doesn't get to use hardly ever but we know he can accomplish, such as knock down open mid range shots. I mean you don't pay him now to come in and do that but at 28, with five more years of polish? He could be a complete center then and by complete I mean some post up moves mixed in with the ability to knock down a face up to go along with the hustle and determination. My point is that he's a safe bet now and he has so much promise down the road. I'm really happy for the guy, hard work pays off.

Comment

• BB was awesome last night. Helps when even he's towering over guys on the other end.

If we get into the ECF, it will be interesting to see how he matches up against Tristan Thompson who's also all energy.

Comment

• I'm sure if the Raptors make a competitive offer (10M per or so), he'll sign back here. The issue is how they manage to do that.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• And yes, that dunk-block (on a Wade dunk no less!)-dunk sequence might have been the highlight of the playoffs. Maybe the season.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Biz had an amazing game. DeRozan and Lowry rightfully deserve a lot of credit but Biz should be right there with them. Biz gained the most from that game. I think it was sort of a "coming out" game for him being that it's game five of round two and it's a prime time game in the states. Anyone sleeping on Biz now has him on their target list for the summer.

Because athletic traditional centers are so hard to find nowadays I could see his price tag being quite large due to demand. I seriously wouldn't be shocked if a team give him $15M/yr. A $60M bet(Carroll money) on Biz is probably alright in the new landscape even though it sounds really high. If he is 23 then he has at least another two or three years before he peaks. We've seen him do some things here and there that he doesn't get to use hardly ever but we know he can accomplish, such as knock down open mid range shots. I mean you don't pay him now to come in and do that but at 28, with five more years of polish? He could be a complete center then and by complete I mean some post up moves mixed in with the ability to knock down a face up to go along with the hustle and determination. My point is that he's a safe bet now and he has so much promise down the road. I'm really happy for the guy, hard work pays off.
                  I don't know if you'd call biyombo a traditional center.

i've been against re-signing bismack just based on the fact that we have a better player already who is the same age (or younger, if rumors are true), and i don't know if you can justify paying 26M+ to keep both.

If you're going to re-sign him at a large contract you'd want to be able to use him for ~25 minutes per game, but as of now you can't play him and JV at the same time, and JV's improvement (and maybe Bismack's) is going to demand more playing time going forward.

I know it's going against conventional wisdom but i think you have to find a way to play the two together so that Bismack can play about 10 minutes per game with JV. One of them needs a reliable mid-range shot (Most likely JV).

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

i've been against re-signing bismack just based on the fact that we have a better player already who is the same age (or younger, if rumors are true), and i don't know if you can justify paying 26M+ to keep both.

If you're going to re-sign him at a large contract you'd want to be able to use him for ~25 minutes per game, but as of now you can't play him and JV at the same time, and JV's improvement (and maybe Bismack's) is going to demand more playing time going forward.

I know it's going against conventional wisdom but i think you have to find a way to play the two together so that Bismack can play about 10 minutes per game with JV. One of them needs a reliable mid-range shot (Most likely JV).
                    if it comes to a choice, biz walks. bigV is the man. i think dan has explained it clearly what we can offer. it would be stupid for biz to take the deal we can offer right now and wait for money later if someone offers him 4 years and 30-40+ million.

sorry i also bet that jv has a mid range next season. he is already good to 10 feet all around the basket.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      if it comes to a choice, biz walks. bigV is the man. i think dan has explained it clearly what we can offer. it would be stupid for biz to take the deal we can offer right now and wait for money later if someone offers him 4 years and 30-40+ million.

sorry i also bet that jv has a mid range next season. he is already good to 10 feet all around the basket.
                      JV already has a midrange shot. From 15-19 feet he shot over 50% this season (on only 41 shots, but that's still very good). And he shot 44% on 10-14 foot shots, on an additional 34 attempts. Combined that's 48% shooting on 75 shots (37/75).

It's just getting him to take it that's the key.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• It's true that we can offer only the MLE if we operate over the cap.

But I am falling more and more in love with the idea of moving Ross at the draft and getting a young player and pick back (or using him to move up in the draft) and opening up 10M extra cap space in the process. Then keeping Biz at 10M or so, bring over de Colo to fill what minutes Powell can't handle, and run with Carroll and Patterson as our PF's (plus ideally our high draft pick).

Ideally Ross is moved in a deal for a star PF, but with JV developing the way many hoped, fit might be starting to be more important than a talent upgrade. And with JV so young, having a potential star at PF developing in limited but consistent minutes off the bench makes sense, in terms of timeline.

It might just be sitting one win away from the first ECF ever for this franchise, but I'm giddy with optimism for this team. Consider the depth at each position and the room for growth across the board (for young players to step up as guys like Lowry get older) in this rotation:

Lowry-Joseph-Wright
                        DeRozan-de Colo-Rookie(TOR)
                        Carroll-Powell-Bruno
                        Patterson-Rookie(NYK)
                        Valanciunas-Biyombo-BeBe

With room for a PF vet signing (Thompson? Wouldn't even mind Scola if he never plays) at the minimum. And two picks the following year. Carroll would play some PF minutes too.

I wouldn't mind a consolidation trade trying to upgrade talent at PF, but I don't think I'd mind the above scenario either.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

What is he if he's not traditional? He's definitely an energy guy but he focuses on rebounding on both sides, imposing his strength on the other team, blocked shots, putbacks, and generally finishing around the rim. He doesn't have a post game yet but that doesn't disqualify him as traditional.

Biz is old school.

Comment

• Even if Biyombo leaves, what a year he has given them. I don't think anyone thought he would be as important as he has been or anywhere near as effective. When JV got hurt Biyombo was huge filling in and he's obviously been great in the playoffs. Just a fantastic signing by Ujiri.

And, you know what, it's a good problem to have. I'd much rather have too many good players to re-sign them all than what Toronto has usually had which is scrambling in the free agent market and overpaying mediocre vets to fill out a roster.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              It's true that we can offer only the MLE if we operate over the cap.

But I am falling more and more in love with the idea of moving Ross at the draft and getting a young player and pick back (or using him to move up in the draft) and opening up 10M extra cap space in the process. Then keeping Biz at 10M or so, bring over de Colo to fill what minutes Powell can't handle, and run with Carroll and Patterson as our PF's (plus ideally our high draft pick).

Ideally Ross is moved in a deal for a star PF, but with JV developing the way many hoped, fit might be starting to be more important than a talent upgrade. And with JV so young, having a potential star at PF developing in limited but consistent minutes off the bench makes sense, in terms of timeline.

It might just be sitting one win away from the first ECF ever for this franchise, but I'm giddy with optimism for this team. Consider the depth at each position and the room for growth across the board (for young players to step up as guys like Lowry get older) in this rotation:

Lowry-Joseph-Wright
                              DeRozan-de Colo-Rookie(TOR)
                              Carroll-Powell-Bruno
                              Patterson-Rookie(NYK)
                              Valanciunas-Biyombo-BeBe

With room for a PF vet signing (Thompson? Wouldn't even mind Scola if he never plays) at the minimum. And two picks the following year. Carroll would play some PF minutes too.

I wouldn't mind a consolidation trade trying to upgrade talent at PF, but I don't think I'd mind the above scenario either.
                              I would have appreciated the opportunity to "Like" this post a couple dozen more times. I think it is time to cut the ties to Ross so the Raptors can find someone who is a better fit. I think Ross is what he is, and I don't think that is good enough to be paying $10 million a year for on this team.

Comment

• Raptors have to find a way to keep him.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X