Everything OG Anunoby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post
    Does anyone know if any people drafted ahead of OG have looked substantially better?
    Per 36 minutes so far (and bearing in mind it's a small sample size):

Markelle Fultz is so far averaging 16/5/2 and a steal.
    Jayson Tatum is averaging 13/9/2 with a block.
    De'Aaron Fox is averaging 12/5/7.
    TJ Leaf is averaging 21/7/2 and shooting 50% from three.
    John Collins is averaging 18/6/1 with two steals.

(for the sake of comparison, OG's per-36 numbers right now are 19/6/4)

With only one game so far:

Lauri Markannen had 17 and 8 with a block and shot .833 on free throws.
    Dennis Smith Jr. had 16/3/10 in thirty minutes.

It was a deep draft and a lot of rookies look very good; OG is definitely in the upper half of the class by any reasonable measure, particularly given that he's already playing NBA-level defense, but there are a lot of great young rookies out there. As for Lonzo Ball, his game was always going to take time to adapt to the NBA, particularly given that his shot mechanics needed work, but most people are confident he'll get there. Most rookies don't explode overnight. (And as I type this I see from last night's boxscores that Lonzo came close to a triple-double in his second game, sooooooo...)
    Last edited by magoon; Sat Oct 21, 2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
      As for Lonzo Ball, his game was always going to take time to adapt to the NBA, particularly given that his shot mechanics needed work, but most people are confident he'll get there. Most rookies don't explode overnight. (And as I type this I see from last night's boxscores that Lonzo came close to a triple-double in his second game, sooooooo...)
      Just watched Ball's game highlights. He looked pretty effing ridiculous.
      Don't expect Delon pumping out a game quite like that anytime soon.
      Sometimes better to keep your thoughts to yourself.
      If you never open your mouth, you never have to put your foot in it.
      That's what makes OG a Jedi.

Last edited by GOLDBLUM; Sat Oct 21, 2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• What’s most surprising me about this guy is his BBIQ and his passing ability. He makes a couple great passes every time he’s out there. I knew he’s being the defence, energy and maybe even a bit of shooting, but not the passing that he’s brought so far. Also, his handle is a lot better than advertised.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
          What’s most surprising me about this guy is his BBQ
          AND he makes good BBQ? Is there anything OG can't do?
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            AND he makes good BBQ? Is there anything OG can't do?
            Go broke?
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• la·con·ic
              ləˈkänik/Submit
              adjective
              (of a person, speech, or style of writing) using very few words.
              "his laconic reply suggested a lack of interest in the topic"
              synonyms: brief, concise, terse, succinct, short, pithy

Comment

• Such an intriguing player. Airballs 3s but comes back hitting the next ones with confidence. Makes an early stupid turnover but follows it up making a great assist.

Most importantly is what he's doing behind closed doors to have secured a spot in the rotation so quickly on a playoff team coached by Casey.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  Such an intriguing player. Airballs 3s but comes back hitting the next ones with confidence. Makes an early stupid turnover but follows it up making a great assist.

Most importantly is what he's doing behind closed doors to have secured a spot in the rotation so quickly on a playoff team coached by Casey.
                  And to think anything we get right now is playing with house money, he wasn't even supposed to see an nba court until Decemberish.

The future is bright!
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Such an intriguing player. Airballs 3s but comes back hitting the next ones with confidence. Makes an early stupid turnover but follows it up making a great assist.

Yeah, he has been real impressive so far. Sky is the limit for this guy. Once he gets a better understanding of team defense I think this guy is going to be special.

Comment

• I still have no clue why OG dropped? An ACL tear for an 19 year old isn't a big deal. And looking at his history I don't see any reoccurring injuries that could make him injury prone in future.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I haven't seen much of the games this year but from what I have seen, OG looks pretty reliable on the defensive end. Appears to know where to go and what to do and doesn't make any huge errors. That will get you playing time as a rookie, even on a good team.

Comment

• NeedTristanThompson wrote: View Post
                          Okay so when OG was drafted, I was actually quite confused. Because on the weekly podcast all I had heard people talk about was Jordan Bell, and some other guys I forgot about now. Now if I'm understanding things right... OG was/seems hopefully to be so far way way better than any of these guys mentioned pre-draft? Additionally, given that all 22 teams or whatever prior to the Raptors passed on drafting this guy... Are they all feeling really stupid right now? Does anyone know if any people drafted ahead of OG have looked substantially better? Keeping in mind that it's of course super early. I could be wrong but Lonzo Ball didn't exactly seem to light it up on his Lakers debut, at least from the box score..
                          Well I think so far Tatum has looked pretty darn good. Fultz was foolishly being played through a shoulder injury and Ball has been Dr Jekyl and Mr. Hyde....he won Summer League MVP where minus his first game he actually looked pretty damn good. Also after Beverly ate him for breakfast he followed up with 2 stellar performances actually, much better numbers than we've seen from OG so far but not a fair comparison considering their "roles" on their respective teams. Markannen and DS Jr have also both had some better games so I would say those teams would have no regrets. Also I would say keep an eye on Jonathan Isaac, I said during the draft that him and OG will be THE steals of this draft....remember that.

As for just prior to his injury I remember he had actually worked his way into the top 10 of most draft boards I'd seen. He was actually just starting to go on a tear (pardon that very bad pun). I remember thinking fml we're gonna have absolutely no chance now to draft him.

Why he was never too high in the draft is because he was completely under recruited in HS, I believe he was ranked around 260th of all prospects lol. If I recall correctly on the Open Gym episode, his brother Chigbo (NFL player btw) said something like he only really starting taking basketball seriously around grade 10 and prior to that was killing it in pretty much any sport he was involved in. But given how closely these kids are followed from a very young age, OG started very "late" in a way because a lot of them are being groomed before they even hit puberty.

So when he went to IND, keep in mind he was 260+ rating as a prospect lol he was nobody...but he also had a big growth spurt. Because if you look at him in HS, he was a TWIG....he's now more filled out as a 20 yr old than most players in the NBA at their primes lol. Coach Cream (lol the name I know) seen something in OG and started giving him some minutes in the rotation. Immediately he stood out and went from basically unknown to people wondering every where who the fook is that guy?!?

By his 2nd year he was still only the age of most freshman and Cream was increasing his role and as it increased he was building up steam. Like I said I seen his name cracking the top 10, I truly believe had he not gotten injured at the rate he was going, he was going to go in the 6-10 range, I honestly believe that. BUT for once the basketball gods smiled on us and it was one of the luckiest "breaks" (another crappy pun sorry) we've had as a franchise. Why he fell is because 1) the draft was sooo deep that people would rather take a "safe" pick than risk striking out in a draft where most teams should have been able to come away with at least a decent rotation player 2) there's a reason why many of those teams between 11-17 are where there are and stuck in true mediocrity, bad talent evaluators or GMs scared to lose their jobs...their slip up was our fortune.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                            I still have no clue why OG dropped? An ACL tear for an 19 year old isn't a big deal. And looking at his history I don't see any reoccurring injuries that could make him injury prone in future.

I think part of it was just that it was a very good, deep draft so teams probably didn't want to take the risk when there were guys available who also looked good and didn't have injury concern. Also some people were skeptical about his shot, thought he was more raw than he actually is. Didn't help that he couldn't workout too, as much as teams deny it, there is a recency bias when drafting.

Comment

• OG rocks Crocks! The legend continues

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                                I still have no clue why OG dropped? An ACL tear for an 19 year old isn't a big deal. And looking at his history I don't see any reoccurring injuries that could make him injury prone in future.

ACL tears are no joke, even at 19.

Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) surgery is a common knee injury procedure, but the overall incidence rate of having to go through it again within 24 months is six times greater than someone who has never had an ACL tear, according to researchers.
                                Just look at Jabari Parker.

I am thrilled OG fell to us but I'll probably hold my breath about re-injury for at least a couple of years. Hopefully the basketball gods can shine on us for once and keep him healthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X