Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the Most Overrated Team in the East ..aka.. Why Boston Sux.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Didn't really care if we got Vince before but....COME ONNN

We've had nothing exciting transaction wise since Ibaka 1 year ago. Offseason was boring. Everybody else always adds these buyout guys (GS, Cle, Bos)....CAN WE PLAY TOO FOR ONCE
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• The 'I feel like I'm taking crazy pills' moment I keep having is when people talk about how good the Celtics will be in the playoffs because they have such a good record in clutch games. This is antithetical to every analytics model out there that values margin of victory as a positive, not a negative. Teams who get to the final four tend to have a good clutch winning percentage (.500 or better), but beyond that there isn't a strong correlation... every year teams with good clutch winning percentages get eliminated early, often by teams with worse clutch winning percentages.

So I've been looking at non-clutch wins. Non clutch wins are all the wins you accumulate in which you do not enter a clutch situation and it clearly correlates better to playoff success than clutch winning percentage. Basically, you treat every clutch game as a loss for the purpose of the average. This stat is to identify the ruthless, curb-stomping teams, take no prisoners teams. Looking through recent NBA history, it seems a NCW% of .300 - .400 is good, and better than .400 is great.

This seems like a useful poor-man's analytic model, as it picks up some interesting things in upsets; for example, in the finals two years ago, Warriors had a massive edge over Cleveland in both W%, and CW%. They were historically great by both measures. But while they still had a margin in NCW%, it was a much smaller margin than in the year previous and after. NCW% showed that they were involved in more close games than other years. When Cleveland upset Atlanta, Atlanta had a significantly better CW% and W%, but they actually had a worse NCW%.

In general, high seeds with high numbers of clutch wins tend to underperform compared to similarly-ranked teams with fewer clutch wins and more non-clutch wins. Last year, Boston, Toronto, and Cleveland were roughly even in the standings, but Cleveland had a much better NCW% than the other two. Same with Toronto the year before.

Which is why I think Boston fans shouldn't be expecting a deep run to the finals this year. They've got a low NCW% of about .300, which is consistent with high-ranked seeds that underperform in the playoffs. Good enough to win a round any maybe two, but not finals material. Toronto's NCW% is around .450, which isn't quite elite, but is still very strong and around the minimum bar for getting to the finals.
                Last edited by octothorp; Fri Feb 9, 2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  Didn't really care if we got Vince before but....COME ONNN

We've had nothing exciting transaction wise since Ibaka 1 year ago. Offseason was boring. Everybody else always adds these buyout guys (GS, Cle, Bos)....CAN WE PLAY TOO FOR ONCE
                  Might not be Vince but I'm pretty sure we add someone.

Comment

• Boston lost, Raps top in the east by win percentage now

Comment

• Shaolin Fantastic wrote: View Post
                      Boston lost, Raps top in the east by win percentage now
                      Is this the latest in a season that the Raps have been first in the East?

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        Is this the latest in a season that the Raps have been first in the East?
                        Yep. Ever. By quite a margin too, I think the latest was early Jan in 2015.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                          The 'I feel like I'm taking crazy pills' moment I keep having is when people talk about how good the Celtics will be in the playoffs because they have such a good record in clutch games. This is antithetical to every analytics model out there that values margin of victory as a positive, not a negative. Teams who get to the final four tend to have a good clutch winning percentage (.500 or better), but beyond that there isn't a strong correlation... every year teams with good clutch winning percentages get eliminated early, often by teams with worse clutch winning percentages.

So I've been looking at non-clutch wins. Non clutch wins are all the wins you accumulate in which you do not enter a clutch situation and it clearly correlates better to playoff success than clutch winning percentage. Basically, you treat every clutch game as a loss for the purpose of the average. This stat is to identify the ruthless, curb-stomping teams, take no prisoners teams. Looking through recent NBA history, it seems a NCW% of .300 - .400 is good, and better than .400 is great.

This seems like a useful poor-man's analytic model, as it picks up some interesting things in upsets; for example, in the finals two years ago, Warriors had a massive edge over Cleveland in both W%, and CW%. They were historically great by both measures. But while they still had a margin in NCW%, it was a much smaller margin than in the year previous and after. NCW% showed that they were involved in more close games than other years. When Cleveland upset Atlanta, Atlanta had a significantly better CW% and W%, but they actually had a worse NCW%.

In general, high seeds with high numbers of clutch wins tend to underperform compared to similarly-ranked teams with fewer clutch wins and more non-clutch wins. Last year, Boston, Toronto, and Cleveland were roughly even in the standings, but Cleveland had a much better NCW% than the other two. Same with Toronto the year before.

Which is why I think Boston fans shouldn't be expecting a deep run to the finals this year. They've got a low NCW% of about .300, which is consistent with high-ranked seeds that underperform in the playoffs. Good enough to win a round any maybe two, but not finals material. Toronto's NCW% is around .450, which isn't quite elite, but is still very strong and around the minimum bar for getting to the finals.
                          I think you invented a new statistical correlation. You should have kept quiet about it and placed some bets :-)

Encouraging.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                            I think you invented a new statistical correlation. You should have kept quiet about it and placed some bets :-)

Encouraging.
                            Yep. That's the whole point of this thread.... short the Chowders.

Comment

• IT on Lonzo: I'm in my prime. I'm not taking backseat to nobody.

Lol
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Wonder how much IT will get next season? Denver could still use a PG. Not sure what their cap situation is like, but it wouldn't surprise me if IT got only a mid level deal. There is no way he's getting anything in the $20M or higher range unless a team is willing to give him a 1 year deal like Philly did with Redick.

Comment

Working...
                                X