Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It...has begun
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
      It...has begun
      This decision on DeMar shapes a lot of the next 5-10 years for the franchise. It's not surprising that it's such a huge debate.

If you let him go, the risk is that you can't replace his offensive production and next year is a down year, then you lose Lowry and if JV doesn't meet his potential, you trigger a rebuild.

If you sign him, the risk is that this year was a contract year(and still had it's issues), and his decision making takes a step back, making his contract less tradeable. You lose games because of his limitations, and are stuck with the contract. Also, keeping the ball in DeMar's hands could stunt JV's growth.

Huge risk either way.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        What I'm saying though is that a career 28% 3pt shooter who is at best a average shooter from there if all he EVER shoots are wide open catch and shoot 3s, who also isn't a good midrange shooter or defender, and dominates the ball...

I'm just having a hard time justifying giving that guy $144 million.
        Good point. But we also need to know who might be out there for the same money that gives us more value AND would be willing to come to Toronto ...

Comment

What I'm saying though is that a career 28% 3pt shooter who is at best a average shooter from there if all he EVER shoots are wide open catch and shoot 3s, who also isn't a good midrange shooter or defender, and dominates the ball...

I'm just having a hard time justifying giving that guy $144 million.
          I'm not talking about maxing him though, I was just responding to a post about whether he can be a reliable catch and shoot threat on occasion off the ball.

Comment

• Gambino wrote: View Post
            I'm not talking about maxing him though, I was just responding to a post about whether he can be a reliable catch and shoot threat on occasion off the ball.
            The key words there are 'off the ball' to me. DeMar spends very little time off the ball in our offense, so that makes some of that point moot.

Comment

• I'm not sure DeRozan himself is worth the max, but the continuity and value in combination with his play might be.

I feel like we're in a similar position to Detroit in 2002-03. They only had 3 of the big 5 I guess at the type with Rip, Billups and Big Ben and got swept in the conference finals, Prince wasn't really in the rotation yet so I didn't count him. Then the next year Prince takes a leap to become a regular and they traded for Rasheed Wallace and that put them over the top to win the title. They also got a new coach, but I don't think that was the difference as Carlisle is every bit as good if not better than Larry Brown was.

I mean if we keep DD even if we don't make another major addition in hte offseason who knows what could come up midseason. Heck it might even include DeRozan in the deal. I just don't think letting him go for nothing is too bright.

Comment

• I don't think DeRozan will be untradeable on a max contract unless he gets injured or something.

Within a year his max is gonna be worth so much less than the max that guys are getting in 2017 free agency. Like in 2017 if you want to sign, say, Gordon Hayward. You're going to have to pay him a contract worth like 35m a season.

Comment

I don't think DeRozan will be untradeable on a max contract unless he gets injured or something.

Within a year his max is gonna be worth so much less than the max that guys are getting in 2017 free agency. Like in 2017 if you want to sign, say, Gordon Hayward. You're going to have to pay him a contract worth like 35m a season.
                  I don't think DeMar is as eminently tradeable as most do in the first place. A lot of teams simply don't want a guy at the 2 who can't be a 3&D guy.

Comment

I don't think DeMar is as eminently tradeable as most do in the first place. A lot of teams simply don't want a guy at the 2 who can't be a 3&D guy.
                    Yeah I think his value will be bad on a max deal. You'll be able to trade him but lucky to get a good long term piece.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think DeRozan will be untradeable on a max contract unless he gets injured or something.
                      Rudy Gay might be the best comparable for terms of skills/contract. Not many were interested in a ball dominant wing who couldn't shoot 3s or defend.

Jose and Ed is far from what many expect/hope for any future Demar trade.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• This plays so much into my concerns about maxing DeMar.

What happens in a year with Lowry? How much has Lowry propped up DeMar's game these last 3 years?

Comment

• Comment

• Looks like DeMar has no intention of leaving by the way based on the press conference today unless he's just absolutely lying through his teeth.

Said that he doesn't know where the allegations (about LA I guess) came from, that he's loyal, it's all about winning. Talked about how long he's been in Toronto and how the best thing you can do is spend your whole career with one franchise. And mentioned his "I got us" tweet and said his "mindset" has always been Toronto.

Hopefully this means Masai can maybe get him to take a bit more of a friendly deal? We'll see.

Comment

Hopefully this means Masai can maybe get him to take a bit more of a friendly deal? We'll see.
                              Yeah that's precisely what I hope. Like 5 yr, 100 M$ deal.

Comment

• That would be similar percentage of the cap (20%) that Lowry is on and would be great, but still 30% discount is unlikely. I think that'd be really dependent on Masai vision and possibilities to strengthen the team in the summer. If huge opportunity comes he might take 1+1 (Player option) with discount to bring another great piece to the 6ix.

Not only from player value standpoint keeping DD on 5 year contract (amount aside) would be huge, it would give T.O. first really long-tenured nearing borderline franchise status player, keep that in mind that legacy of the franchise is not only build by titles but also by players that played there, just look at Jazz, they never won it all but first thought that comes down when you think about them is Stockton & Malone. even if DD never gets the trophy with Raptors that'd be great legacy if people finally changed their perception of Raptors from constant losers and location that everyone flees in Free Agency to the team that have at least one player that was multiple all-star and played his whole career here.

Comment

Working...
                                X