Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
    ...we are likely going to be relying on rookies and sophomores to fill most of the bench and end of bench roster spots, and thus relying on some of them to be replacement level players for guys like Patterson or Ross or Cojo or Scola...
    A couple of years ago the Raps were STARTING two rookies (JV and Ross). So Powell in his 3rd year and Poeltl/Siakim in their second year along with whatever you get out of Bebe and Caboclo in the company of Carroll and two all stars in Lowry and DeMar and JV, that's your nine roster spots for 2017/18 assuming you haven't signed anyone else or traded to upgrade. If Ross and Patterson are gone it's because you traded to improve the roster, probably at PF.

By 2017/18 JV is hitting from mid-range at least, Lowry and Carroll are shooting 3's and DeMar probably has a better stroke from 3. Poeltl and Siakim have midrange shots and Powell and Caboclo have three point shots. Powell, Poeltl, Siakim and Caboclo are all quick on their feet and athletic. If Delon is still on the Raps he is a good defender, a shooter and able to handle the ball. That is not a bad team to have. And Toronto won't have that team because Masai will have upgraded it, probably significantly.

Frankly, I don't see the concern.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
      A couple of years ago the Raps were STARTING two rookies (JV and Ross). So Powell in his 3rd year and Poeltl/Siakim in their second year along with whatever you get out of Bebe and Caboclo in the company of Carroll and two all stars in Lowry and DeMar and JV, that's your nine roster spots for 2017/18 assuming you haven't signed anyone else or traded to upgrade. If Ross and Patterson are gone it's because you traded to improve the roster, probably at PF.

By 2017/18 JV is hitting from mid-range at least, Lowry and Carroll are shooting 3's and DeMar probably has a better stroke from 3. Poeltl and Siakim have midrange shots and Powell and Caboclo have three point shots. Powell, Poeltl, Siakim and Caboclo are all quick on their feet and athletic. If Delon is still on the Raps he is a good defender, a shooter and able to handle the ball. That is not a bad team to have. And Toronto won't have that team because Masai will have upgraded it, probably significantly.

There are a lot of if's that have to go just right for the Raptors for you not to see the concern that many others do.

Comment

Yeah there is no guarantee that Siakim, Bruno or Bebe will be productive NBA players. Delon has shown promise but there is certainly no guarantee he can be anything but a backup. Poeltl might turn out well or he might not. There is a significant risk that the totality of those things don't happen. And I would include Demar's improved long distance shooting in That too.

Comment

• Does being on the Olympic team help of hinder Demar in adding additional elements to his game?

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
            Does being on the Olympic team help of hinder Demar in adding additional elements to his game?
            Depends. If he is focused on improving a part of his game, then he has the opportunity to practice and improve it in-game.

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
              Does being on the Olympic team help of hinder Demar in adding additional elements to his game?
              I think it helps. US Olympic team coaching staff won't stand for non-effort defensively, ball-stopping, or garbage shot-selection. They'll stress sticking to his strengths and filling a specific role. If not, he'll get benched. Coach K, Thibodeau, and Boheim won't tolerate anything less.

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
                There are a lot of if's that have to go just right for the Raptors for you not to see the concern that many others do.
                But the crux of his premise basically assumes zero moves made on our part, and completely banking on internal growth... which knowing Masai isn't too likely either. You don't have to look far to see what a truly disastrous situation looks like (Brooklyn), so I'd say we have a lot to be thankful for.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                  But the crux of his premise basically assumes zero moves made on our part, and completely banking on internal growth... which knowing Masai isn't too likely either. You don't have to look far to see what a truly disastrous situation looks like (Brooklyn), so I'd say we have a lot to be thankful for.
                  We absolutely do have a lot to be thankful for. Billy King gets slain whenever his name comes up, but Prokhorov was the driving force behind the win-now moves after he made that foolish promise when he bought the franchise. Now Brooklyn is in shambles. What I can't stand is when we raise concerns about the Raptors roster/direction, people descend on us and say, "Don't be ungrateful! We're winning now! Best Raptor era ever, don't ruin it for us!" to stamp out all dissenting opinions.

As for DeMar developing a reliable 3PT shot as the Puffer predicted, I'll take that bet. DD's shooting mechanics are woeful, and will always hold him back from being a consistent deep threat.

Comment

• Rarely defend DD, but...high minute high usage guys are rarely as good defenders as they were before they became high minute/high usage.

DD will never be a plus defender, but he can and should be better than he has been.

Casey is 100% responsible for his minutes - even with the "rest days" near season's end he (and Lowry) both finished top 12 in the league.

DD was also 11th in usage among players who logged more than a couple of hundred minutes. There are ways to cut that back, although I'll believe it when I see it.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I think it helps. US Olympic team coaching staff won't stand for non-effort defensively, ball-stopping, or garbage shot-selection. They'll stress sticking to his strengths and filling a specific role. If not, he'll get benched. Coach K, Thibodeau, and Boheim won't tolerate anything less.
                      Imagine a dream scenario where demar comes back from Team USA a complete player. Has a 3, Plays D, No forced shots. I'm not holding my breath but it's a fun thought. I think it comes from, as you say, not being the focal point/playing too many minutes, which requires them to share the ball and play smarter. When you're on a team with the finest you dont want to let the team down and the embarassment of screwing up. I really hope some of this experience gets carried over into the new season on Demar and Kyle's part.

Comment

I certainly see the concerns that a lot of Raptors fans do. My post pointed out a possible scenario in which nothing changed but young players improved, DeMar improved (as he has demonstrated he usually does from year to year), and Carroll and JV don't suffer significant injuries. Not too far fetched to expect. The whole premise is extremely unlikely because Masai will be doing things to improve the roster. That is why I can't understand the moaning and groaning.

Why would anybody think that the roster, over the next two years, isn't going to get better? Since Ujiri has come onboard there has been a very noticeable trend upwards. Maybe the Raps stay the same or regress next year, but why would anyone think they don't then improve the year after. The team has very good players signed on very good contracts for the next few years. MLSE apparently has told Masai he can venture into tax territory if it improves the team. The Raps now have a D-League team for internal development. And they have some great selections to develop? Why all the "end of the world" concern?

I'm happy to ride this train. If they fall back to 48 wins next season I'm not going to be gnashing my teeth. I trust Masai. The route to an NBA championship isn't a smooth ride.

Comment

We absolutely do have a lot to be thankful for. Billy King gets slain whenever his name comes up, but Prokhorov was the driving force behind the win-now moves after he made that foolish promise when he bought the franchise. Now Brooklyn is in shambles. What I can't stand is when we raise concerns about the Raptors roster/direction, people descend on us and say, "Don't be ungrateful! We're winning now! Best Raptor era ever, don't ruin it for us!" to stamp out all dissenting opinions.
                          Do you seriously think that is what I am doing with my response?

Because I thought the point of "Masai obviously isn't done yet" is a fair one.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            Do you seriously think that is what I am doing with my response?

Because I thought the point of "Masai obviously isn't done yet" is a fair one.
                            No, that's not what I think that you are doing with your response. But it has become the common rebuke around here to label someone a hater, among other things, when dissent arises.

Masai not being done is a fair counter-argument. He makes a point of stating that in virtually every presser he holds.

Comment

I certainly see the concerns that a lot of Raptors fans do. My post pointed out a possible scenario in which nothing changed but young players improved, DeMar improved (as he has demonstrated he usually does from year to year), and Carroll and JV don't suffer significant injuries. Not too far fetched to expect. The whole premise is extremely unlikely because Masai will be doing things to improve the roster. That is why I can't understand the moaning and groaning.

Why would anybody think that the roster, over the next two years, isn't going to get better? Since Ujiri has come onboard there has been a very noticeable trend upwards. Maybe the Raps stay the same or regress next year, but why would anyone think they don't then improve the year after. The team has very good players signed on very good contracts for the next few years. MLSE apparently has told Masai he can venture into tax territory if it improves the team. The Raps now have a D-League team for internal development. And they have some great selections to develop? Why all the "end of the world" concern?

I'm happy to ride this train. If they fall back to 48 wins next season I'm not going to be gnashing my teeth. I trust Masai. The route to an NBA championship isn't a smooth ride.
                              That doesn't mean that he will. Colangelo did gymnastics to avoid paying the tax, and Masai has followed suit. They can keep saying that they'll pay the tax, but MLSE has never fielded a luxury tax-paying Raptor team before.

And pointing out valid concerns isn't moaning and groaning. It's called being pragmatic. I expect the Raptors to regress after last year, but there are no guarantees that they'll improve the year after-- Lowry will be 31 next summer.

Comment

That doesn't mean that he will. Colangelo did gymnastics to avoid paying the tax, and Masai has followed suit. They can keep saying that they'll pay the tax, but MLSE has never fielded a luxury tax-paying Raptor team before.

And pointing out valid concerns isn't moaning and groaning. It's called being pragmatic. I expect the Raptors to regress after last year, but there are no guarantees that they'll improve the year after-- Lowry will be 31 next summer.
                                Gymnastics to avoid the tax? Do you actually have any example of something done to avoid the tax, or are you just assuming there were gymnastics rather than the team just not really being in a position to spend above it for most of its recent history?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X