Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    Busted me cherry picking stats, lol.

Anyway, I can't really disagree with any of this. Only guys like Jordan and Lebron should be over 30% usage on a regular basis. DD was at 28% last year, with 110 ORTG, which was awesome. I think I'm commenting more on the offense itself, which seems to encourage high usage, creating off the dribble, from the wings & guards.

I don't think the offense prioritizes ball movement for open shots (e.g. Ross), and Casey loses trust in JV pretty quickly, so who does that leave? Lowry, DD and Amir - and you don't run plays for Amir? And the over-usage doesn't just apply to DD either. I think it applies to Vasquez and Rudy Gay before that and Lowry at times. Lou Wiliams has a tremendous handle, so this actually plays to his strength, but that type of offense makes it hard for other players (e.g. Vasquez and Patterson) to get into any kind of offensive rhythm.

Personally, like you, I'd prefer a more balanced attack, with more plays called for Ross and especially JV as the first options.
    Yeah my mistake on usage.

30.6 is this season.

Got mixed up in 2013-14 and 2014-15 stats.

Either way, 25-30 seems to be ideal.

Valid points on other.

Comment

• Two fantastic games in a row for DeRozan!!!!!

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Two fantastic games in a row for DeRozan!!!!!
        His first true test comes against Butler and the Bulls. A decent outing might send DeRozan Nation into a frenzy!
        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
        Because its 2015

Comment

• Lol this thread is the real MVP
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
            In an attempt to get thread back on track.....

Just to be a dick, if you take the top 12 games of his usage last year, then the Raptors are 6-6. lol - but that is not the point of my reply and hopefully we don't get sidetracked.

DeRozan's average was 30.6.

If you take the games where he was over his usage average, a total of 22 games, the Raptors were 11-11.

If you take the games where he was at his average or just below, lets say the 25-30 usage rate, the Raptors were 24-10; a .706 win% and good for 58 wins.

With all that said, ball dominant in the terms I attempted to use it doesn't reflect usage. You can have a high usage without being ball dominant. Usage, by definition at Basketball-Reference.com, is estimate of percentage of team plays used by a player while on the floor. Ball dominant, in the terms I meant, was to reflect ball stopping, aimless dribble, or waving teammates off for ISO/hero ball. You can have an extremely high usage out of set plays, coming off screens, or pick and rolls.

It would appear DeRozan's sweet spot for usage, in terms of Raptor wins, is around 25-30.

Interesting enough the usage stats for the Boston and Washington game reflect what I've been saying. Washington usage lowest of the season at 26.3 and the Boston game was highest of the season at 34.4.
            Correlation isn't necessarily equal to cause and effect though. It's also possible that in some of those games DeRozan's usage is lower because it doesn't NEED to be as high because the team is playing better.

Just food for thought.

Comment

• #DeMarvelous

Comment

• Nice complete game from DeRozan. Good effort on defense and he didn't get exposed the way he sometimes does. Shot 75% from the field, perfect from the stripe and grabbed 6 rebounds. That is definitely what we want to see from DeRozan on a nightly basis. When Ross' shots are dropping, DD has an easier time of it, without a doubt. This year, on this team, he will be able to own the mid-range territory.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Nice complete game from DeRozan. Good effort on defense and he didn't get exposed the way he sometimes does. Shot 75% from the field, perfect from the stripe and grabbed 6 rebounds. That is definitely what we want to see from DeRozan on a nightly basis. When Ross' shots are dropping, DD has an easier time of it, without a doubt. This year, on this team, he will be able to own the mid-range territory.
                  Yeah DeMar is not gonna shoot 75% on a nightly basis. Or 100% from the FT Line.

People need to mentally prepare themselves for the fact that he'll have games like this and also have inefficient games. Cause I know if he goes like 7-18 next game people are gonna freak out and say he needs to go as usual.

Comment

• NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
                    Yeah DeMar is not gonna shoot 75% on a nightly basis. Or 100% from the FT Line.

People need to mentally prepare themselves for the fact that he'll have games like this and also have inefficient games. Cause I know if he goes like 7-18 next game people are gonna freak out and say he needs to go as usual.
                    I don't think there has been any "trade DeRozan" talks this season. In fact, the only person who suggested so (and created a short-lived thread about it) was you.

I can live with a few 7-18 nights from DeRozan, as long as he isn't forcing shots. It really is that simple.

Comment

• Interesting article about DeRozan's efficiency by SLAM (linked in the Morning Coffee). For those of us who despise the "long-two", it seems as though Casey's been given the message.

I know he’s an analytical nightmare, but he’s one of the best mid-range shooters in the League because he does get to the free-throw line,” Casey said. “So it kind of equals itself out and I don’t have to fight with the analytical people all the time.”
                      DeRozan, on the other hand, seems to think that analytics has something to do with The Matrix:
                      “I don’t care about analytics at all. I could give a hell about ‘em,” DeRozan said. “I don’t try to base myself off machines, I just try to take advantage of everything within that arc.”

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Interesting article about DeRozan's efficiency by SLAM (linked in the Morning Coffee). For those of us who despise the "long-two", it seems as though Casey's been given the message.

DeRozan, on the other hand, seems to think that analytics has something to do with The Matrix:
                        It is interesting to see their quotes on that.

I don't think it has ever been about the number of makes per x number of shots.

You nailed it in your prior post: it is about not forcing it.

The only other thing I'd add it is the quality of the shot selection. Check his shot chart from the last 2 games. They are pristine!

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                          Nice complete game from DeRozan. Good effort on defense and he didn't get exposed the way he sometimes does. Shot 75% from the field, perfect from the stripe and grabbed 6 rebounds. That is definitely what we want to see from DeRozan on a nightly basis. When Ross' shots are dropping, DD has an easier time of it, without a doubt. This year, on this team, he will be able to own the mid-range territory.
                          I think the bold also applies to Lowry and, to a lesser extent, Valanciunas. It makes sense; the more threats there are, the less able the opposition is to key on a single player. Getting the entire lineup into the flow of the game and involved offensively early in games, will help open up the game for the entire offense, including DeRozan.

As NaijaBoy17 said a few posts prior, it really is a two-way cause-and-effect, between DeRozan and the rest of the lineup. When DeRozan's shooting is on, he should draw more double-teams, thus opening up opportunities for others (ie: become the facilitator when the defense starts selling-out on the double-teams). When the other starters get involved offensively (especially Ross, since he's the floor-spreading threat to balance DeRozan's on-ball play), it takes the defensive pressure off DeRozan (ie: playing his game =/= forcing his game).

Having said all that, DeRozan's last few games have been fantastic!
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Nov 10, 2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• Ultimately, we need players to operate effectively in the midrange. Lowry takes shots in that area, and Lou Will does so off the bench. If these guys, as the dominant ball handlers, can't operate in the mid range, then driving lanes get shut down and there goes the offence. Because defences respect the ability of these guys to shoot, then there are opportunities to get into the paint for kick outs and what not. It makes the PnR that much more effective. Taking and making mid range shots is absolutely necessary for the success of our offence. One of the reasons this team shoots as many FT's as it does is because of the mid range capability of our perimeter ball handlers. DeRo, Lowry, and Williams all take advantage of that when they have the ball. Now add in DeRo's post up game and slashing, as well as Lowry's penetration, finishing and 3pt range, and Williams 3pt range and you have the basis for an effective perimeter based offence. Plus, GV seems to be able to get inside whenever he wants, he just can't finish as well as the others.

We almost have to operate in this fashion, and luckily we have some pretty damn good personnel to make it work. We can't dominate inside and initiate the offence that way. Hopefully, JV develops and he can get some touches inside on a regular basis to relieve some of the pressure on our ball handlers and provide the defence with something else to worry about.

Personally, I'd also like to see more ball movement, but even that is easier said than done. We already use alot of screens and PnR's, but becoming Spurs-esque so to speak isn't gonna happen quickly. It may take multiple seasons of refinement to master that style, if that is the ultimate goal. In the meantime, we are gonna be a team that takes alot of mid range jumpers, and DeRo is one of the best in this regard. He will have poor shooting nights, just like Lowry will and Williams will and everyone else will. Sometimes, he should pass instead of shoot, we've all seem examples of that, but every scorer in the league is guilty of that as well.

The success and/or failure of this team isn't gonna hinge entirely on Demar's mid range game. Nonetheless, the team as a whole needs to be dangerous in that area, and like it or lump it, Demar is the best we got in that area.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Interesting article about DeRozan's efficiency by SLAM (linked in the Morning Coffee). For those of us who despise the "long-two", it seems as though Casey's been given the message.

"Yo. I don't pay no 'tention to nunna dat analystic shiznat....." Demar Derozan. lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                "Yo. I don't pay no 'tention to nunna dat analystic shiznat....." Demar Derozan. lol.
                                Wonder if that is a Kobe-ism

Comment

Working...
                                X