Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I don't think the handling of Jonas has anything to do with some large behind the scenes plan to get him at a cheaper price.

It would be far too risky a plan. You don't want to piss him off so he wants to go somewhere else. You don't want young prospects thinking they won't get fair minutes or fair negotiations for their contracts. It'll create a bad reputation for the team among players and agents. All for what? To try and get a million or two a year off what's sure to be a large contract? And could end up compromising your ability to do business across the whole league? Yeah...don't think so...
    Yep, pretty ridiculous to think otherwise. A million or two is truly chump change to most NBA ownership. They're not going to sacrifice wins or go against what they think is best to make a player look worse.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I don't think the handling of Jonas has anything to do with some large behind the scenes plan to get him at a cheaper price.

It would be far too risky a plan. You don't want to piss him off so he wants to go somewhere else. You don't want young prospects thinking they won't get fair minutes or fair negotiations for their contracts. It'll create a bad reputation for the team among players and agents. All for what? To try and get a million or two a year off what's sure to be a large contract? And could end up compromising your ability to do business across the whole league? Yeah...don't think so...
      Yeah, in no way do I think that is the reason that he doesn't get 35 minutes a game. It was a joke more than anything else, but rooted in something which makes a lot of sense. He's already being developed nicely in my own opinion. He's learning to stay on the floor and not making as many mistakes as was earlier in the season. His offensive game has been getting more and more impressive and I feel like if they keep bringing him up this way he's going to be a sure fire all star year in and year out.

So why let him blow up now when they are getting so close to the time when they have to work on a new contract? It's not like he can say he is being mistreated in any way? And despite what fans want we are still building this team into a contender. In no way is this team "all in" on making a championship run where you can say not playing JV max. minutes is hurting this teams chances.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        Yeah, in no way do I think that is the reason that he doesn't get 35 minutes a game. It was a joke more than anything else, but rooted in something which makes a lot of sense. He's already being developed nicely in my own opinion. He's learning to stay on the floor and not making as many mistakes as was earlier in the season. His offensive game has been getting more and more impressive and I feel like if they keep bringing him up this way he's going to be a sure fire all star year in and year out.

So why let him blow up now when they are getting so close to the time when they have to work on a new contract? It's not like he can say he is being mistreated in any way? And despite what fans want we are still building this team into a contender. In no way is this team "all in" on making a championship run where you can say not playing JV max. minutes is hurting this teams chances.
        There's a very simple explanation for all of this. Dwane Casey is trying 110% to win every single basketball game. Dwane Casey feels often times Patterson and Amir make for a better defensive unit at the end of the game. End of story.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
          There's a very simple explanation for all of this. Dwane Casey is trying 110% to win every single basketball game. Dwane Casey feels often times Patterson and Amir make for a better defensive unit at the end of the game. End of story.
          He feels that way because they are and the numbers back it up.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Agreed.

Also I just realized JV is under contract for much longer than I thought. There is no way to hold him back that long in the hopes of signing him for cheap. My bad.

Edit: this was in reply to KeonClark.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              Yes, but does the defensive mobility outweigh the rebounding and post option you have with JV in?

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                Numbers backed up playing Anderson and Salmons but neither were going to be on the team in the future. There is no upside to finishing games with Amir in the long run. He's expiring too.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                  Numbers backed up playing Anderson and Salmons but neither were going to be on the team in the future. There is no upside to finishing games with Amir in the long run. He's expiring too.
                  Patterson at SF has been used more than either

Comment

Patterson at SF has been used more than either
                    Wrong thread

Comment

Wrong thread
                      quit trolling yourself

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        It will be in raps best interest to keep their cap hold.

He will be getting more than $11M per year.

Masai does Raps business, then signs him.....at least I hope
                        good point. won't be easy though.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                          good point. won't be easy though.
                          I think the cap work gets done this summer. That said, JV might not extend for less than the max, in which case might was well wait for free agency.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Over his last four games, DeRozan is averaging 21.8 points, 5.3 boards, 5.3 assists and 1.5 steals

#ProveEm
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                              See, but we'd have to completely rejigger the style of play on the fly to account for his absence. We saw how the offense and defense functions without DeRozan, and it ain't pretty. So we would need to tear down the system, probably get a new coach, and basically start from scratch.

And I'm done with one step back, two steps forward stuff. The Raptors have been doing this rebuiding thing for years, and a lot of the time, the people you think you are getting is not who they turn out to be. We don't know what stage of development Tobias Harris is in, but currently he's just not the player DeRozan is. And he may never get there. So yeah, if you need to free up the cap space because you know you're getting a true max guy, that's when you make your move. Right now though, you might be stuck with no Jimmy Butler (or equivalent) and a lesser player than what you traded DeRozan for, which would be a bit of a disaster.

Plus, if the Magic are not willing to pay Tobias Harris, why would they be willing to pay DeRozan?
                              Bold 1: Said as much in my post. It would be a good thing. Especially this off season

Bold 2: I didn't mention any names for replacement players. Also at this point, a step back would be from just behind the top 4 teams, to exactly the same situation. Why? Because with DD we are not good enough to compete with the Cavs, Wiz, Hawks, Bulls over the long term. If we lose DD, we will still be better than the rest of the east, because they suck.

This team needs a change to enter the next tier. A coaching change is an absolute. Moving DD may be a little more of a risky move, but I think it needs to happen to move into the upper echelon. His game screams mediocre team leader, or less-than-capable supporting cast

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                                Bold 2: I didn't mention any names for replacement players. Also at this point, a step back would be from just behind the top 4 teams, to exactly the same situation. Why? Because with DD we are not good enough to compete with the Cavs, Wiz, Hawks, Bulls over the long term. If we lose DD, we will still be better than the rest of the east, because they suck.
                                You say that as if it's not just your own arbitrary speculation
                                "Bruno?
                                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X