Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I didn't propose using one stat. JWash did. You then validated that proposal by asking for said sample to be found.

I just did the grunt work.

Point being, in small samples, especially ones where it is a combination of a bunch of teeny tiny samples, there is very little value to be extracted. If a crazy person on the street screams at you not to buy a certain model of TV, do you let that impact your decision? What if you are looking at two TV's and a baby in a stroller goin by points at one? The quality and size of sample - there should be a threshold at which it has no value at all, and I think this sample size fails to clear that bar. Way too much variability in opponent, game situation, teammates, even just whether Carroll was have a bad game that night - the probability is high that in a small sample like that you are getting an unrepresentative cross section.
    my telling him to find was was more of a pink font comment and an implication that demar is a poor three point shooter.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
      my telling him to find was was more of a pink font comment and an implication that demar is a poor three point shooter.
      Yes, and the fact that you were that offhand about such a sample not existing is further evidence that since it did, multiple times over (I stopped looking after I found two), that sample size is largely useless, what with DeMar being a poor three point shooter.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yes, and the fact that you were that offhand about such a sample not existing is further evidence that since it did, multiple times over (I stopped looking after I found two), that sample size is largely useless, what with DeMar being a poor three point shooter.
        Nah DeMar is a sniper from 3 man, that sample size was pretty clearcut in explaining that we need to use him more like Steph Curry and less like Kobe.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          Cant wait till October!
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            Cant wait till October!
            Have you seen DD's new shoe deal??!

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
              Have you seen DD's new shoe deal??!

lol, funny
              #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• 29 man?
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

29 man?
                  He did miss more than a quarter of the season.

Comment

why do you feel the need to dispute that even though it is a small sample size that is all there is, and as such that is reasoning to accept that there is a possibility related to said small sample size that if expanded it would remain the same.

I will use that Terrance Ross example that Bonus Jonas posted. Hypothetically if those numbers came from him starting at sg, at that is the only time he ever played as a starting shooting guard, would you not think that he would make a good one?

Or lets say that we know nothing else of carrol other than the 150 minutes worth of numbers that he posted at pf....would you want that guy playing any minutes as your pf?

Few of you are getting hung up on the 150 minutes and the comment I made in response to a derozan comment that I think the point of it is going way over top of everyones head.

I could have said that I think he will be a terrible PF because he is to small, blah, blah blah, and just speak purely on opinion, I at lesat drop a few numbers to back up my sentiment yet a few here just want to sweep that under the rug because its to small of a sample size.

And AGAIN, although the size is small, it is relevant.

If I only ever test drove 1 ford f150 and it clunked and rattled, and it was hard on gas and sluggish, I would not only buy it, I would probably not go looking to test drive another one. Even though after 200 miles it might be a decent truck, i am basing my opinion off the test drive.

The 150 minutes IMO is a test drive, if he was better at pf, he would have played more minutes over the past couple of years.

Comment

• There is clearly no getting through to you. Yes there is a possibility that sample result would also apply to a larger sample. There is also a possibility (and one that is far more likely) that it would not.

I'm sure you remember Andrea Bargnani's 13 games yes? 400 minute sample size that. By your logic, if you were in charge, and those 13 games were all you saw, Bargnani would be on a max deal with the Raptors right now. If that doesn't drive this point home I'm not sure what will.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

There is clearly no getting through to you. Yes there is a possibility that sample result would also apply to a larger sample. There is also a possibility (and one that is far more likely) that it would not.

I'm sure you remember Andrea Bargnani's 13 games yes? 400 minute sample size that. By your logic, if you were in charge, and those 13 games were all you saw, Bargnani would be on a max deal with the Raptors right now. If that doesn't drive this point home I'm not sure what will.
                        In your supreme wisdom you are still missing the point.

If ALL we had of Bargnani at playing pf was that 13 game example, and all the rest of his careers numbers came from playing small forward, would you not say that he should probably be a pf?

Or would you stick to the small sample size and he probably sucks.

But then next year he got to play another 30 minutes at pf and killed it again, but then went back to playing sf and sucked.

Would you not then feel that even though the sample size is small, that he is most likely better at playing pf than sf?

And NOT ONCE, have I even remotely stated that because of this small sample size that means he cannot play it, but only as a piossible indication that he cannot. ad that to his lack of size compared to nba pfs or even the small forwards that play pf(melo, JJ, Green, Lebron, JGreen) that it doesnt look like a good idea.
                        Last edited by Snooch; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 08:19 AM.

Comment

29 man?
                          Looks like a lot of the dunks were assisted by Amir while DD slashed through the baseline, which is probably a play designed for him. I think DeMar would be great if more plays were made for him like this where he would be forced to take it to the rim/cut/slash instead of using and expecting him to create his own shot (usually ending in a mid-range, end of the clock shot).

Comment

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
                            Looks like a lot of the dunks were assisted by Amir while DD slashed through the baseline, which is probably a play designed for him. I think DeMar would be great if more plays were made for him like this where he would be forced to take it to the rim/cut/slash instead of using and expecting him to create his own shot (usually ending in a mid-range, end of the clock shot).
                            I think the team would be better if demar was limited to 10 or 11 plays a game so he can focus on defending, and then JV has about the same amount of plays run for him, and Carrol has the same amount, and Lowry, etc...you get the point.

Limit demar to getting the ball at the rim and dont let him play any iso related basketball at all, then this year would be bearable to watch.

Comment

29 man?
                              Woulda been 30 if he didn't miss that 360 dunk ... Haha

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                                In your supreme wisdom you are still missing the point.

If ALL we had of Bargnani at playing pf was that 13 game example, and all the rest of his careers numbers came from playing small forward, would you not say that he should probably be a pf?

Or would you stick to the small sample size and he probably sucks.

But then next year he got to play another 30 minutes at pf and killed it again, but then went back to playing sf and sucked.

Would you not then feel that even though the sample size is small, that he is most likely better at playing pf than sf?

And NOT ONCE, have I even remotely stated that because of this small sample size that means he cannot play it, but only as a piossible indication that he cannot. ad that to his lack of size compared to nba pfs or even the small forwards that play pf(melo, JJ, Green, Lebron, JGreen) that it doesnt look like a good idea.
                                I think I'd probably say it was worth a shot trying him there. But I'd probably have zero confidence whatsoever that it would work, because that sample size is quite simply meaningless. Just like with Carroll, sure play him primarily at the SF, that's where he has played. But if you avoid playing him at the 4, it is because of his size, ability to defend and rebound on the wing, fit within our system, and just the fact that he has played at the 3 for 99% of his past couple years. Not because of some tiny sample of a few possessions he played at the 4 scattered across two seasons.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X