Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
    But if we let DD walk we get no return for him.

If we spend money on players that you think might fit we lose our flexibility anyways. Also those players values are big unknowns at least we know what DD offers.

I think a better strategy would be to try and improve our roster and our biggest need (a starting caliber 4) through the draft and trades.
    Hard to imagine landing an impact starting PF at the draft who can contribute fast enough to fit into Lowry's prime years.

It would largely be the same team being rolled out.

As for trade, who do you give up to land a starting PF? If you move Lowry or JV then you aren't likely getting ahead. CoJo? Hard to see a deal working out since not too many teams are looking for PGs.

Short term deals at good value don't use the flexibility cause they are highly movable. DD at $20M isn't.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

But you still need at least 3 players in your lineup that can create for themselves to have a good offense.

A balanced offense can only take you so far, SA & Atlanta both have multiple skilled players that can score by themselves if they need to.
      Lowry, Joseph and JV.

Scola as a crafty PF can score and pass.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
        This basically ends the debate. Essentially.

Those players suggested at BEST marginally improve the team, at worst mess up chemistry and make it worse. You gain zero flexibility, and they're not even good trade assets. Makes little sense to make that play. I get dropping DD to go after a big fish but not for that.
        The players suggested were suggested by someone trying to make the opposite point, so I wouldn't exactly call them a death blow to the conversation.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
          If Rudy was a poor fit next to DeRozan, wouldn't DeRozan therefore have also been a poor fit next to Rudy? Why was his play not suffering to the same extent? I don't mean to be facetious but it's starting to seem like DD is the only one who isn't allowed to have excuses for poor play. His reason is because he's going out there and freestyle iso-balling instead of playing team ball, but Gay was bad because he didn't fit with DD and Ross is bad because we don't have a good system for shooters... Like let's try to be a little bit more fair guys
          Are you insinuating that Gay didn't get enough of the blame? Cause I remember the forum those days, it wasn't pretty.

The fact that it was also predicted by many posters (2 ball dominant wings who can't shoot do not make for good offensive teammates).

Ross' production suffers in part because he isn't a good fit for what he is asked to do.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            The players suggested were suggested by someone trying to make the opposite point, so I wouldn't exactly call them a death blow to the conversation.
            Please suggest 2 other players that fit the needs you stated that you realistically think will come here for under 22mm.

Comment

Lowry, Joseph and JV.

Scola as a crafty PF can score and pass.
              Do you really want to bring scola back next year and rely on him as a 37 year old?

And top 3 scoring options of Lowry, Joseph and JV are not going to get you far. Joseph is better as the playmaker off the bench.
              Last edited by slamdunk23; Tue Dec 1, 2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Please suggest 2 other players that fit the needs you stated that you realistically think will come here for under 22mm.
                We actually don't even have 22M to spend iirc if we let DD walk it's more like 17-18M ish (I'll have to number check that though so don't quote me)

Comment

If Raptors get a chance, Draft Murray and groom him and the other picks

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    If Raptors get a chance, Draft Murray and groom him and the other picks
                    And you can do that without letting derozan walk.

Also we should draft the best player available not just murray because he is canadian.

Comment

Well hard to really give it a full go from my phone, but first priority is PF to me. So id be looking at T Jones (RFA) who made just $2.5 last year and Houston may struggle to match a decent sized offer with significant cap commitments already.

If not, a 1 yr "prove it" deal to Ryan Anderson to play the stretch 4 role. Should be at or under $10.

Teletovic isn't a terrible option for stretch 4 himself, especially if his price is low.

Start CoJo at SG and play a 4 out system ala SVG with
                      Lowry
                      CoJo
                      Carroll
                      Stretch PF
                      JV

We have Delon Wright to be the backup PG. We can sign a depth winger like Gerald Henderson to come off the bench as a 6th man type role. Bruno might even be ready for a larger role. We still have Scola and hopefully pair him with a young PF draftee to mentor.

Comment

And you can do that without letting derozan walk.

Also we should draft the best player available not just murray because he is canadian.
                        He'd need court time. A top 5 pick gets force fed minutes take a step back and build around CoJo, Murray and JV + a new coach

Comment

Well hard to really give it a full go from my phone, but first priority is PF to me. So id be looking at T Jones (RFA) who made just $2.5 last year and Houston may struggle to match a decent sized offer with significant cap commitments already.

If not, a 1 yr "prove it" deal to Ryan Anderson to play the stretch 4 role. Should be at or under $10.

Teletovic isn't a terrible option for stretch 4 himself, especially if his price is low.

Start CoJo at SG and play a 4 out system ala SVG with
                          Lowry
                          CoJo
                          Carroll
                          Stretch PF
                          JV

We have Delon Wright to be the backup PG. We can sign a depth winger like Gerald Henderson to come off the bench as a 6th man type role. Bruno might even be ready for a larger role. We still have Scola and hopefully pair him with a young PF draftee to mentor.
                          Anderson is going to get a multiyear contract closer to 20 million than 10 million a year. He has already proven himself and has taken it a up a step this year.

Comment

• And if you're going to assess DeMar's play this season, so far, you have to factor in that he's got nearly NO ONE to pass to with JV out (Biz?) and Ross and Patterson playing "hot potato".

I don't want to "pile on" guys who are struggling, but the assist pickin's is mighty slim ... Might have something to do with his NOT being a 21-5-5 guy this season (yet). Makes his improved shot-selection (and usage?) numbers look a little better too, I think.

Comment

Hard to imagine landing an impact starting PF at the draft who can contribute fast enough to fit into Lowry's prime years.

It would largely be the same team being rolled out.

As for trade, who do you give up to land a starting PF? If you move Lowry or JV then you aren't likely getting ahead. CoJo? Hard to see a deal working out since not too many teams are looking for PGs.

Short term deals at good value don't use the flexibility cause they are highly movable. DD at $20M isn't.
                              It's not impossible and it's happened before. Kawhi Leonard started for the Spurs in his rookie season when they went 50-16 and went to the WCF.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                He'd need court time. A top 5 pick gets force fed minutes take a step back and build around CoJo, Murray and JV + a new coach
                                But you also don't want to throw him to the dogs. You can still bring him off the bench for 25 mins and play small with DD at the 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X