Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooch wrote: View Post
    sigh.

So you feel the best way to utilize demar would be to limit how many shots, and where those shots come from.
    Yes.

You feel it is possible to have demar shoot 50% (and limit his shots to 15 per game....all the way down from 16.5) so he is allowed to take 8 shots from within 10 feet, 4 shots from 10-16 feet and the remaining 4 shots from corner threes exclusively.
    Yes, except the remaining 4 shots would be a combination of corner 3s and long 2s (because he inevitably is going to take SOME of those in a game). And probably he'd need to drop his shot attempts from ~16.5 to ~15 to get these ratios (50-25-25 like I suggested)

So how do you propose that happens.

What is your play call to get demar to get those shots inside of 10 feet?

Isolation calls? Demar is bad at converting off isolations
    Catch and shoot off screens and pindowns? Demar is bad at taking those shots....one of his worst shots.
    Post ups? What do we do with JV? who is turning into a very solid post up player converting on a very high amount of them

Corner threes.

What is the play call there....and if we are going to run a play for corner threes why would we not run them for either Ross or pat or Carroll who ALL shoot the same shot better than demar.
    It happens by him basically doing what he is now and passing up 1-2 long 2s per game for a swing pass to a teammate. As for corner 3s, you don't need a play-call for that, all you need to do is spot-up in the corner when another player is slashing to the basket and make yourself an outlet/kickout pass option. There are 2 corners on the court, so 2 players can do that at the same time.

Comment

47% shooting from 3-10 feet is not dangerous.

65% from 0-3 feet I would expect to be kind of the norm for an NBA player.
      Well considering Dwyane Wade is at a career of 66% from 0-3 feet and 46% from 3-10 feet, and he's probably the 2nd best slashing 2-guard in the history of the game.... ummm yeah it kinda is dangerous.

And please don't try to twist that into me saying DeMar is as good as Wade. But idk how you can complain about me advocating for DeMar shooting half of his shots from an area (0-10 feet) where he shoots a combined ~56% from.

And it's not even like it's a new phenomenon for DeMar to be effective from these areas. On his career he shoots 64% from 0-3 feet and 43% from 3-10 feet. Having those shots make up the bulk of his offense is going to lead to better efficiency it's not exactly up for debate at all it's basic math.
      Last edited by JWash; Thu Dec 10, 2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• and to add....

On shots less than 8 feet.

Demar shoots a whopping 41.8%, 15% of his total shots, shot clock average of 10, off of an average of 3.8 dribbles, off an average time with ball of 4.5 seconds, with a defender within 2.68 feet away.
        Clicky

Last season he shot 41.4% from that range...

Comment

• Ya Snooch, one thing that DD is actually good at is scoring at the rim.

I'm concerned if we dont trade DD before the deadline that MU might feel pressured in the offseason to pay him too much money. The team that pays DD as a fundamental piece (salary wise) is going to suffer.

We talk alot about his offense here and what has only been brushed on is how his defense has taken a nose dive. We want to be a top 5 defensive team year in year out...not going to happen with DD being a well below average defender playing 35 mpg. I'll take a role player with plus defense at his position and bet that the team improves in the long run

Comment

and to add....

Demar shoots a whopping 41.8%, 15% of his total shots, shot clock average of 10, off of an average of 3.8 dribbles, off an average time with ball of 4.5 seconds, with a defender within 2.68 feet away.
            Clicky

You realize in your query you didn't include dunks or layups. You only searched for jumpshots.

If you include dunks and layups he shoots 56% from <8 feet. And you HAVE to include that because more than half of his shots from that range ARE dunks and layups.

Comment

and to add....

Clicky

Wait, are you looking only at jumpers?

He shoots 57% from that range if you include layups and dunks which you obviously should.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• If you want to debate that DD can't shoot the ball effectively from beyond 16 feet... fine. But I'm not too interested in having to repeatedly point out the obvious which is that he excels from 10 feet and in both when it comes to finishing and drawing fouls. This is where he should absolutely be making his money (I mean that as a figure of speech) as a player.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Wait, are you looking only at jumpers?

He shoots 57% from that range if you include layups and dunks which you obviously should.
                  Nice catch.

Comment

and to add....

Clicky

The more I look on that site, the more I believe he's not as good as advertised. It's hard to find ranges where he shoots above average, leading me to believe more and more he's a guy who is just great at drawing fouls and otherwise average. In almost all ranges, his average is below league average.
                    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

and to add....

Clicky

We don't care.

It doesn't matter anyways.

It changes nothing.

Whatever point we had still stands. (Pink)

LOL - sorry I couldn't help myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                        Ya Snooch, one thing that DD is actually good at is scoring at the rim.

I'm concerned if we dont trade DD before the deadline that MU might feel pressured in the offseason to pay him too much money. The team that pays DD as a fundamental piece (salary wise) is going to suffer.

We talk alot about his offense here and what has only been brushed on is how his defense has taken a nose dive. We want to be a top 5 defensive team year in year out...not going to happen with DD being a well below average defender playing 35 mpg. I'll take a role player with plus defense at his position and bet that the team improves in the long run
                        DeRozan is not a "well below average defender".

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                          We don't care.

It doesn't matter anyways.

It changes nothing.

Whatever point we had still stands. (Pink)

LOL - sorry I couldn't help myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I get that this was sarcasm, but this frustrates the hell out of me. People keep saying 'we see him score, he must be good!' and 'he was good in game xx!'. We get he has good games, but on the whole he isn't that good. Scoring and taking a lot of shots doesn't make you a good scorer, it just means you took a lot of shots and some went in.

And just to put the 'he doesn't take that many shots' argument to rest, he's 11th in the ENTIRE LEAGUE in field goal attempts this season. He shoots a lot. Last season he missed 22 games and still finished 34th in the league in FGA.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                            DeRozan is not a "well below average defender".
                            He hasn't had a positive DBPM his entire career. He's been a net negative on defense every season in the league. He's below average.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                              I get that this was sarcasm, but this frustrates the hell out of me. People keep saying 'we see him score, he must be good!' and 'he was good in game xx!'. We get he has good games, but on the whole he isn't that good. Scoring and taking a lot of shots doesn't make you a good scorer, it just means you took a lot of shots and some went in.

And just to put the 'he doesn't take that many shots' argument to rest, he's 11th in the ENTIRE LEAGUE in field goal attempts this season. He shoots a lot. Last season he missed 22 games and still finished 34th in the league in FGA.
                              And to put that in perspective he's 12th in scoring. Only guy who scores more than him who takes less shots is Lowry.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                He hasn't had a positive DBPM his entire career. He's been a net negative on defense every season in the league. He's below average.
                                Klay Thompson for the record also has had a negative DBPM every year, and his career DBPM of -1.1 is about the same as DeMar's at -1.4. And Klay has only ever been on one bad defensive team FWIW.

DBPM, DRPM I think these two stats have some issues as DanH stated about the latter earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                X