Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    If MLSE offers to pay me, I will gladly take over for Chr1st1an in the DD fan club.

Until then....
    Hey, where's that speech about baiting you're always giving, lol?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
      Hey, where's that speech about baiting you're always giving, lol?
      It's not bait, it's the truth. MLSE paid media offer very little in critical words, they are largely puppets for the TSN crowd to watch between hockey games.

Chr1st1an praises DD more than anyone, don't think he'd be insulted by saying as much.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I'll give him credit for "trying" when one aspect of his scoring skills actually improves. Basically his efficiency has depended entirely on getting more whistles. The kind of thing where situationally he (and everybody) has less control over that then any other aspect of offense. I'll give him credit if he ever learns to shoot and how to function without dominating the ball.
        Actually his increase in efficiency this year has more to do with getting to the basket more than getting more whistles. He's getting more whistles as a result of making a more concerted effort to drive to the basket (he is driving nearly twice as much as last year).

And this IS something that is sustainable from game to game if he chooses to do it. It's very hard to have an off-shooting night when you're primarily taking layups, dunks, free throws and short jumpers inside the paint. It's when a large portion of your offense depends on jump-shooting that it becomes very easy to have bad shooting nights.

Also you don't need to dominate the ball to be a slasher. An intelligently run offense would have DeRozan catching the ball in the move going to the basket, coming off pin-down screens using a quick pump fake and going to the rim, exploiting mismatches in the post and floating to the corners (and only the corners) for 3 if other players are attacking to create that outlet option. That's not dominating the basketball, that's using movement and a smart offense to get shots that either go in close to 60% of the time or result in foul shots.

And the notion that getting to the line is inconsistent isn't one that I really buy. DeRozan has shot 6 or more free throws in 18 out of 23 games this season. He has more games with 12+ free throw attempts (8) than with less than 6 (5).

Comment

It's not bait, it's the truth. MLSE paid media offer very little in critical words, they are largely puppets for the TSN crowd to watch between hockey games.

Chr1st1an praises DD more than anyone, don't think he'd be insulted by saying as much.
          Is being called a "puppet" essentially really that flattering though lol?

Christian likes DD... a lot. Don't think he's getting paid to do so, he's just a big fan of the guy. Not really anything wrong with that, most people don't criticize their favourite players, especially if said player happens to be on their favourite team.

I do think that Christian recognizes DeRozan's faults, but doesn't bother to talk about them or bring them up cause there's plenty of people doing that already lol. As annoying as it can sometimes be when he kind of just side-steps negative evidence regarding DD, it does provide some balance here cause I feel like there are way more people that dislike DD than like him on RR.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            Actually his increase in efficiency this year has more to do with getting to the basket more than getting more whistles. He's getting more whistles as a result of making a more concerted effort to drive to the basket (he is driving nearly twice as much as last year).

And this IS something that is sustainable from game to game if he chooses to do it. It's very hard to have an off-shooting night when you're primarily taking layups, dunks, free throws and short jumpers inside the paint. It's when a large portion of your offense depends on jump-shooting that it becomes very easy to have bad shooting nights.

Also you don't need to dominate the ball to be a slasher. An intelligently run offense would have DeRozan catching the ball in the move going to the basket, coming off pin-down screens using a quick pump fake and going to the rim, exploiting mismatches in the post and floating to the corners (and only the corners) for 3 if other players are attacking to create that outlet option. That's not dominating the basketball, that's using movement and a smart offense to get shots that either go in close to 60% of the time or result in foul shots.

And the notion that getting to the line is inconsistent isn't one that I really buy. DeRozan has shot 6 or more free throws in 18 out of 23 games this season. He has more games with 12+ free throw attempts (8) than with less than 6 (5).
            Bold: I think this is awesome. It doesn't convince me yet that he's going to be worth tying up the cap space he'll demand next summer, but it's great to see his game take a step in the right direction. We've basically been asking for a few things out of DD for years:
            - better shot selection
            - a couple less FGA per game
            - some energy diverted from creating ISO offense to his D and facilitating abilities (creating open looks for other guys)

He actually has moved a bit in that direction this season over last season. We'll see if it sustains, if it can even continue to evolve in that direction, and if any of this leads to playoff success in the spring. The decisions next summer will be based on all of that progress (or lack thereof).
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              Bold: I think this is awesome. It doesn't convince me yet that he's going to be worth tying up the cap space he'll demand next summer, but it's great to see his game take a step in the right direction. We've basically been asking for a few things out of DD for years:
              - better shot selection
              - some energy diverted from creating ISO offense to his D and facilitating abilities (creating open looks for other guys)

He actually has moved a bit in that direction this season over last season. We'll see if it sustains, if it can even continue to evolve in that direction, and if any of this leads to playoff success in the spring. The decisions next summer will be based on all of that progress (or lack thereof).
              Yeah I'm really happy right now because it appears (through 24 games) that we have a completely different player (when it comes to scoring mentality and shot selection especially). I hope it's not a contract year thing, but DD doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would alter his play to get paid and then just start playing worse. I think he's legitimately trying to be a better, smarter player this season.

Also his % from 16-23 feet is slowly creeping back up to its normal levels. Was in the mid 20s, is now up at 32.7%. If he can get that back up to the mid-high 30s where it's usually at and maintain his current shot distribution I really think he could match his rookie season (55.4% which is actually ~2% higher than league average) and potentially push .200 WS/48 (he's at .160 right now).

The above the break 3s need to stop though... like now. I'd almost rather he just throw the ball out of bounds than take an above the break 3, at least there's no long rebound and our defense can get set lol

Comment

- better shot selection

I'm called a hater of DD a lot on here, but if you read my posts in the last 10 pages, I've said often that if DeRozan focuses on playing within the offense and being decisive, while taking shots that he's efficient at, I'm more than happy to keep him. It's his Kobe mode that I hate.

Last night DeMar was fantastic. However, the downside last night was noone except DeMar, Kyle and Scola was in the flow of the offense. That meant when Casey pulled all 3 of them, we had no offense because noone else had been involved.
                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Is being called a "puppet" essentially really that flattering though lol?

Christian likes DD... a lot. Don't think he's getting paid to do so, he's just a big fan of the guy. Not really anything wrong with that, most people don't criticize their favourite players, especially if said player happens to be on their favourite team.

I do think that Christian recognizes DeRozan's faults, but doesn't bother to talk about them or bring them up cause there's plenty of people doing that already lol. As annoying as it can sometimes be when he kind of just side-steps negative evidence regarding DD, it does provide some balance here cause I feel like there are way more people that dislike DD than like him on RR.
                  Never said Chr1st1an was a puppet or being paid though. He's simply a fan, and as such he carries more weight in his opinion than Paul Jones in my eyes.

If Chr1st1an feels insulted by my post, I'll gladly remove his name from it, but I've known him a fair while now here, and I don't think he's reading into my post half of what you seem to be.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Never said Chr1st1an was a puppet or being paid though. He's simply a fan, and as such he carries more weight in his opinion than Paul Jones in my eyes.

If Chr1st1an feels insulted by my post, I'll gladly remove his name from it, but I've known him a fair while now here, and I don't think he's reading into my post half of what you seem to be.
                    Eh my bad man.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                      I'm called a hater of DD a lot on here, but if you read my posts in the last 10 pages, I've said often that if DeRozan focuses on playing within the offense and being decisive, while taking shots that he's efficient at, I'm more than happy to keep him. It's his Kobe mode that I hate.

Last night DeMar was fantastic. However, the downside last night was noone except DeMar, Kyle and Scola was in the flow of the offense. That meant when Casey pulled all 3 of them, we had no offense because noone else had been involved.
                      To be fair that 4th quarter bench lineup he had out there was pretty limited on the best of days - a bunch of off-ball guys and spot up shooters with CoJo. Ross and JJ did their best Lowry/DD impersonations to predictably bad results. I would have really liked to have seen Scola with them or, when he's back, see JV anchor a lineup like that running the p'n'r with CoJo. You need something so the off-ball guys can play off the ball instead of trying to turn into initiators. Evidently they're even worse at that than the freaking Sixers.

As long as the offense is guard-oriented, either Lowry or DD need to be on the floor at all times. If they're both going to sit, the O needs to have a bit of a different look featuring some of the next most capable offensive players, who are forwards.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Yep. Replacing the long 2 for deeper drives is paying dividends, as well as a tangible uptick in AST% which is making for a much improved player this season. People need to recognize that DD has made some subtle, but important adjustments to his game this season that are showing results. Still wish he could learn how to fight over/through a screen on D, though.

Scoring-wise, I typically set the criteria for elite scorers at:

> 25% USG and > 110 ORTG (> 30MPG).

DD is at 28% USG and 110 ORTG, which is exceeds that. So, we need to consider that DD hit that elite threshold 2 seasons ago, and he could be returning to that level this season, and hopefully future seasons. Perhaps last season was just a total team wide write-off, because of Casey/Weltman's distorted offensive and defensive vision.

However, the concern with relying on FTs to boost your ORTG, is that many feel that the officiating changes during the playoffs and free-throw rate can be erratic. DD is a perfect example of that vs. Brooklyn 2 seasons ago (great), and then vs. the Wiz last season (terrible).

Comment

• Well I haven't seen any improvements. Improvement over last year? Sure. Last year he played worse than 2 seasons ago. He's playing at pretty much the same level and the same style as his all-star year. And while he started the season with better shot selection, it has been slowly and consistently moving back toward his typical numbers. His shots are coming more and more from the mid-range (long mid-range as the season progresses) again, as opposed to more efficient areas.

Basically he started the season on a hot streak, and has been falling back toward his norm since. His "efficiency" depends entirely on two things and has since his all-star year: the whistle and his passing. You take even one of those two things away on any given night, and he often is more a negative than positive because he can't play off the ball and just isn't a good enough defender most nights.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Well I haven't seen any improvements. Improvement over last year? Sure. Last year he played worse than 2 seasons ago. He's playing at pretty much the same level and the same style as his all-star year. And while he started the season with better shot selection, it has been slowly and consistently moving back toward his typical numbers. His shots are coming more and more from the mid-range (long mid-range as the season progresses) again, as opposed to more efficient areas.

Basically he started the season on a hot streak, and has been falling back toward his norm since. His "efficiency" depends entirely on two things and has since his all-star year: the whistle and his passing. You take even one of those two things away on any given night, and he often is more a negative than positive because he can't play off the ball and just isn't a good enough defender most nights.
                            Nah, DeRozan's been better this year. He's up in PER, W/S, TS% over last year. I'm not a huge fan of his skill set, and that's more my issue than anything, but he's been very efficient at using it this season. I'd still like to see our offence get better at generating good shots for other guys, but that's on Casey, not DeMar.

Comment

To be fair that 4th quarter bench lineup he had out there was pretty limited on the best of days - a bunch of off-ball guys and spot up shooters with CoJo. Ross and JJ did their best Lowry/DD impersonations to predictably bad results. I would have really liked to have seen Scola with them or, when he's back, see JV anchor a lineup like that running the p'n'r with CoJo. You need something so the off-ball guys can play off the ball instead of trying to turn into initiators. Evidently they're even worse at that than the freaking Sixers.

As long as the offense is guard-oriented, either Lowry or DD need to be on the floor at all times. If they're both going to sit, the O needs to have a bit of a different look featuring some of the next most capable offensive players, who are forwards.
                              Our bench group could generate a lot of offense in a structured system, but we don't have one. The lack of structure doesn't show with DeMar and Lowry on the floor because they're good at generating shots for themselves and others. Unfortunately, relying purely on players creating without any off-ball action doesn't work with our bench group. Casey's stubborn refusal to generate any form of offensive system continues to hurt our team.

Comment

• Just a general observation about DeRozan. He used to be pretty terrible at finishing in traffic early in his career. Kudos for really stepping up his game in that regard. The added bulk has no doubt helped. He's become great at angling his shoulders in front of the defender to give him self an advantage at the rim, and if hit, he's usually able to maintain concentration and finish.

I shit on DeRozan for his low percentage shots, but gotta give him praise for his high percentage ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X