Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Lebron James. Wade and Bosh did too. Wasn't their first real contract, but nor would this be Demars.
    This is true! Very special circumstance though - they basically guaranteed themselves titles by taking discounts. Any examples of players taking discounts in less historically favourable circumstances?

(Also, when I said 'big' deal...I meant big as in max or near-max.)
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      So, three players took a paycut to fit all three of their deals on the same team's cap space in the same summer to form a superteam. How exactly is that applicable to DeRozan's situation?
      He asked for an example. I gave one.

The gist of peoples argument for not signing Demar to a large contract, is so we can have enough to sign Durant, or someone of the like.. how is this not similar? Demar gets wind from Masai that we could sign Durant, so he takes a team friendly deal (like Wade) to help see that happen.

Comment

So, three players took a paycut to fit all three of their deals on the same team's cap space in the same summer to form a superteam. How exactly is that applicable to DeRozan's situation?
        Not 100% sure, but Duncan, Parker and Manu may have all taken less in their primes at various times to stay with the Spurs and keep them under the cap. That would be closer to a DD situation.

But it's soooo rare. Sam Presti tried to get Harden to do that with OKC, and we know how that worked out.

Comment

He asked for an example. I gave one.

The gist of peoples argument for not signing Demar to a large contract, is so we can have enough to sign Durant, or someone of the like.. how is this not similar? Demar gets wind from Masai that we could sign Durant, so he takes a team friendly deal (like Wade) to help see that happen.
          Could you explain to me exactly how DeMar taking a smaller deal could possibly help land Durant? Because that would be very helpful, as I cannot envision such a scenario.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Could you explain to me exactly how DeMar taking a smaller deal could possibly help land Durant? Because that would be very helpful, as I cannot envision such a scenario.
            I'm not at all saying it by itself will help land Durant, and I'm not sure how you got that out of what I said, but again, the man asked for a specific Example and I provided one.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              I had a dream last night that Masai traded Demar. I can't remember the return, but the forum exploded.
              as would my pants

Comment

I'm not at all saying it by itself will help land Durant, and I'm not sure how you got that out of what I said, but again, the man asked for a specific Example and I provided one.
                True, but not really a situation that we can replicate. It would have to be a really significant discount for us to be able to use it to land anyone of note. Which just doesn't seem likely for us at this time.

Perhaps if we only sign a 1 yr deal and carry over the cap space to next year where we could land multiple high calibre players in that larger space.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

True, but not really a situation that we can replicate. It would have to be a really significant discount for us to be able to use it to land anyone of note. Which just doesn't seem likely for us at this time.

Perhaps if we only sign a 1 yr deal and carry over the cap space to next year where we could land multiple high calibre players in that larger space.
                  Well you'll recall that Pat Riley traded away a lot of pieces for nothing in order to reach the required cap space. We've got plenty of expendable pieces if it means landing top tier talent.

Comment

Well you'll recall that Pat Riley traded away a lot of pieces for nothing in order to reach the required cap space. We've got plenty of expendable pieces if it means landing top tier talent.
                    Maybe it's the decades of being a Raptors fan talking here, but I can't really see it happening here though. Can you?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Maybe it's the decades of being a Raptors fan talking here, but I can't really see it happening here though. Can you?
                      There was a time when I thought the Blue Jays would never make the Playoffs again ... Haha

Honestly, with Masai, you just never know.

Comment

There was a time when I thought the Blue Jays would never make the Playoffs again ... Haha

Honestly, with Masai, you just never know.
                        Dammit, this is the kind of optimism that keeps fans of hopeless teams engaged for years when they go decades/generations between championships. I hate that I find it inspiring.

BTW the Toronto Blue Jays were the #1 Google search in Canada in 2015! Beat out the federal election.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

All you're saying, I believe, is that if the players put their heads together (so to speak) to bring together DD+JV+KL+KD, this would not constitute any sort of "super-team", right?

[edit: I left out Carroll out of respect for those who insist that there's no way in hell the numbers could work without sending him out, along with Ross, Joseph and some others. I understand, too (I believe), that DD and KD's numbers would require significant massaging/discounts).
                          Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Dec 17, 2015, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                            All you're saying, I believe, is that if the players put their heads together (so to speak) to bring together DD+JV+KL+KD, this would not constitute any sort of "super-team", right?
                            2 of the 4 players are already locked into contracts, so only DD and KD can really put "their heads together" to make this happen. KL and JV have no bearing on this situation.

Comment

• and the cba completely restricts how much "putting their head together" can even accomplish, cause as it sits right now, Demar and Durant would have to agree to share 22 million in capspace,(not including picks) of which about 15 million is used by demars caphold.

So there would have to be at least 2 gm's putting their heads together as well, so that would make 4 with heads together....and then its just going to start getting weird at that point.

Bye bye Patterson, bye bye demar.....hello KD.

Comment

2 of the 4 players are already locked into contracts, so only DD and KD can really put "their heads together" to make this happen. KL and JV have no bearing on this situation.
                                Everyone (who cares to know) knows JV and KL's contract status.

But JV has already signed a team-friendly deal ... and who knows what's already been discussed between them?

And DD and KD may well want to talk to Lowry, to figure out what his expectations and plans might be, before they come up with their own numbers and make decisions (if any of this is ever becomes more than mere speculation).

OK?
                                Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Dec 17, 2015, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X