Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Umm why the hell would LA do that when they can just sign him outright?
    He gets an extra year in TO (at least)....not sure about auto increases yr to yr stuff.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      He gets an extra year in TO (at least)....not sure about auto increases yr to yr stuff.
      Sign and trades, since 2011, no longer allow the player to get the 5th year or higher raises. Nowadays a sign and trade has zero value to a player except allowing them to go to teams over the cap - the contract is identical to a deal they would sign outright with a team with cap space.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Sign and trades, since 2011, no longer allow the player to get the 5th year or higher raises. Nowadays a sign and trade has zero value to a player except allowing them to go to teams over the cap - the contract is identical to a deal they would sign outright with a team with cap space.
        So, how is the "Birds rights" exemption/rule become beneficial to either the team holding such rights or the player after 2011?

Comment

So, how is the "Birds rights" exemption/rule become beneficial to either the team holding such rights or the player after 2011?
          Team receiving the player in a sign & trade don't retain the Bird rights.

Comment

I still get a bit queasy at those kind of numbers. I realize the cap is going up but I cant seem to get around a contract like that for someone other than the James, Durant type player.
            I'd argue that's a normal, but largely visceral response. We know that James and Durant and Curry are worth more than the imposed ceiling of the max. We have seen plenty of non-super-duper-stars sustain good play throughout their max contract. Like many that are not too old or injured, even Rudy has not been the albatross thought he was. The question becomes how well set-up you are to sustain improvement around these top-paid 2nd tier players, and I'd argue we're up there in terms of non-desperation and the ability to continue growing.

Again, I love the idea of a Horford trade or something along those lines - adding salary for next year but talent along with it, boosting competitiveness without sacrificing much future. At this point we can't get under the cap and I'd bet on Masai going well above it.
            Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Jan 13, 2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Better chance to re-sign the player as they are the only team, no matter what, that can offer max raises and a 5th year.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                I'd argue that's a normal, but largely visceral response. We know that James and Durant and Curry are worth more than the imposed ceiling of the max. We have seen plenty of non-super-duper-stars sustain good play throughout their max contract. Like many that are not too old or injured, even Rudy has not been the albatross thought he was. The question becomes how well set-up you are to sustain improvement around these top-paid 2nd tier players, and I'd argue we're up there in terms of non-desperation and the ability to continue growing.

Again, I love the idea of a Horford trade or something along those lines - adding salary for next year but talent along with it, boosting competitiveness without sacrificing much future. At this point we can't get under the cap and I'd bet on Masai going well above it.
                I suppose it comes down on how you view the player. And thats where the "queasyness" is for me. What will be the makeup of the team going forward (other options) and how best to spend the money. I'm not sure that Masai has absolute reign on going over the cap especially when the Can. $ is currently in the toilet to the tune of 40% approx. But I am still in on Masai so far. He seems to look at the big picture and is of course more privy to what is out there deal & talent wise.

Comment

• When did we throw all reason out the window and start throwing max deals at players who have not had playoff success, six years of not-max play, no shot, and poor defense just because they had 30 good games?

Is that a thing RR is doing now?

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    When did we throw all reason out the window and start throwing max deals at players who have not had playoff success, six years of not-max play, no shot, and poor defense just because they had 30 good games?

I don't know about max money but I don't think we have ever been one piece away from contention in at least a decade. I think people are fixated on that and if ever you were to spend the time is now
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                      I don't know about max money but I don't think we have ever been one piece away from contention in at least a decade. I think people are fixated on that and if ever you were to spend the time is now
                      It sure sounds like people are 100% a-ok with giving him the max, and are trying to justify it because other teams are doing it.

It's like watching people jump off a bridge into a dry creek bed that they know is rocky, just because other people are doing it.

Now is the worst time to spend the big money on a mediocre all-star.

Comment

It sure sounds like people are 100% a-ok with giving him the max, and are trying to justify it because other teams are doing it.

It's like watching people jump off a bridge into a dry creek bed that they know is rocky, just because other people are doing it.

I'm ready to pay him the max because he is playing like he deserves it or close enough to it that a few dollars here of there is negligible

It's more like people jumping off a bridge into the water that finally sprang up from the ground
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

When did we throw all reason out the window and start throwing max deals at players who have not had playoff success, six years of not-max play, no shot, and poor defense just because they had 30 good games?

Is anyone saying that they will offer DD the max no matter how he plays from here on out?

I think everyone is saying they would offer DD the max (or somewhere around there) IF he maintains his current play through the entire season AND into the playoffs.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Is anyone saying that they will offer DD the max no matter how he plays from here on out?

I think everyone is saying they would offer DD the max (or somewhere around there) IF he maintains his current play through the entire season AND into the playoffs.
                            Yup. I think most have stressed that he needs to keep playing like this to warrant a max contract.

EDIT: And imo there isn't really any reason to expect regression. People are going to use contract year as an argument, but it's not really a particularly valid one. A lot of research has been done on the contract year in sports, and most results indicate that it only has a marginal impact on performance, and it's usually just effort stats. Something like a player improving their shot selection to benefit the team and themselves more isn't fueled by a contract year. If anything you would expect DD to be gunning and taking more and more ill-advised shots in order to try to inflate his points, but he's not doing that.

His raw stats don't look much better than his 2013-14 season. It's all the advanced stats that have seen a significant jump.
                            Last edited by JWash; Thu Jan 14, 2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Other teams are doing it, because a max deal is the market value for a top 3 SG. This whole attitude of ignoring what the rest of the league is doing is exactly what had us drafting Bargnani. It's the same attitude that parents who homeschool their kids have. If it was just a handful of teams giving guys of DD's talent max level contracts, then we would have an issue. However, whether you want to admit it or not, DD is ballin' this year. The man has earned a close to max/max contract as of today, and will be getting one at the end of the season. I would hate to see DD leave, but as long as we get value in return for him, i dont care what happens.

Comment

• 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                                Other teams are doing it, because a max deal is the market value for a top 3 SG. This whole attitude of ignoring what the rest of the league is doing is exactly what had us drafting Bargnani. It's the same attitude that parents who homeschool their kids have. If it was just a handful of teams giving guys of DD's talent max level contracts, then we would have an issue. However, whether you want to admit it or not, DD is ballin' this year. The man has earned a close to max/max contract as of today, and will be getting one at the end of the season. I would hate to see DD leave, but as long as we get value in return for him, i dont care what happens.
                                This. You can't penny pinch for talent in the NBA.

The way I see many posters write here, people only want to pay more than $15M for the best 5-10 players in the NBA. I'm sorry but that is not operating within the reality of the NBA's financial landscape. Will be even more true next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X