Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
    The simple fact that now so many posters are talking/asking about S&T options for DD is telling. Clearly most of us think that it is time to move on from DD. This thread will explode when MU resigns DD to a max contract and cripples our flexibility for the near future.
    DeRozan and JV are going to carry us to a second round win. I'll be fine with DD coming back after that.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      DeRozan and JV are going to carry us to a second round win. I'll be fine with DD coming back after that.
      I truly hope this happens but am not confident it will. There will have to be a dramatic improvement in his play starting tonight.

Comment

I truly hope this happens but am not confident it will. There will have to be a dramatic improvement in his play starting tonight.
        Nope! There will only have to be a slight adjustment to the team's offensive sets. Run DD and JV pick and rolls as the primary option. Run JV high post sets with cutters as the second option, and if that flatlines, run DD around JV on a handoff as the third option. 4th option can be someone other than DD and JV.

JV got NINE screen assists last game. DeMar with JV on the floor had a 59% TS%. JV with DD on the floor had a 73% TS%. DeMar hit JV three times for an assist, and JV hit DeMar for an assist.

Now, there's still every reason to believe Casey will not see this and will leave the team floundering for multiple sets at a time before they stumble across a DD-JV pick and roll, so there's reason to doubt. But it's not any issue with DD and JV. When they are used together in sets they are pretty unstoppable.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The interesting thing about this summer as compared to previous years is that the teams that are generally good free agent destinations have a lot of cap space and need to make an immediate impact (ie, can't stay in the lottery). Then there is that cap boom.

That's why guys like Batum, DeRozan and Conley are going to be getting more than they should be. That's why someone like Biyombo will probably be making double figures. It's a good time to be a free agent.

Personally I think Masai does what he did with Amir. Silently let him walk. Amir and DD to me are very similar. Loyal guys, that prop up the city. DD is a two time all-star and Amir was just a role player.. but they both personified what it meant to be a Raptor. Yet Amir just left and it ended up being no big deal to anyone.

Which tells me that Masai could let DD walk and as long as he does something in the off season to make up for it (ie, sign a starting caliber player like Batum or Horford) most people won't blink an eye and life will move on.

Comment

Nope! There will only have to be a slight adjustment to the team's offensive sets. Run DD and JV pick and rolls as the primary option. Run JV high post sets with cutters as the second option, and if that flatlines, run DD around JV on a handoff as the third option. 4th option can be someone other than DD and JV.

JV got NINE screen assists last game. DeMar with JV on the floor had a 59% TS%. JV with DD on the floor had a 73% TS%. DeMar hit JV three times for an assist, and JV hit DeMar for an assist.

Now, there's still every reason to believe Casey will not see this and will leave the team floundering for multiple sets at a time before they stumble across a DD-JV pick and roll, so there's reason to doubt. But it's not any issue with DD and JV. When they are used together in sets they are pretty unstoppable.
            Excellent analysis. Hopefully someone brings this to his attention.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              The S&T rules aren't the same as they used to be. No benefits anymore.
              Damn it. I keep forgetting that's gone. Honestly, I've lost a lot of interest in the CBA details. Life's details have been more than enough.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                The interesting thing about this summer as compared to previous years is that the teams that are generally good free agent destinations have a lot of cap space and need to make an immediate impact (ie, can't stay in the lottery). Then there is that cap boom.

That's why guys like Batum, DeRozan and Conley are going to be getting more than they should be. That's why someone like Biyombo will probably be making double figures. It's a good time to be a free agent.

Personally I think Masai does what he did with Amir. Silently let him walk. Amir and DD to me are very similar. Loyal guys, that prop up the city. DD is a two time all-star and Amir was just a role player.. but they both personified what it meant to be a Raptor. Yet Amir just left and it ended up being no big deal to anyone.

Which tells me that Masai could let DD walk and as long as he does something in the off season to make up for it (ie, sign a starting caliber player like Batum or Horford) most people won't blink an eye and life will move on.
                And another reason why the Raps need to at least win this round to make it a semi-attractive spot (re a decent team) for the good f/as' to consider seriously.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                  wow. so completely useless now. no reason for a player to take the sign and trade and hurt his new team by having them give up assets.

so nba guaranteed 7 years when you are paying to develop a player and then nothing. that is shitty for non marquee living areas.
                  I think they should have compensatory picks involved for the loss of marque players(sort of like the NFL). The NBA has always stacked the deck in favor of the bigger markets. As a business model I guess it makes sense on the surface because those bigger centers make the most money but it sucks for fans of the other teams which collectively probably bring in more money. In a case like Toronto , it is a bigger market but by virtue of location it is viewed a small market due to the American bias.

Comment

So what I'm reading is that Casey needs to go

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      The interesting thing about this summer as compared to previous years is that the teams that are generally good free agent destinations have a lot of cap space and need to make an immediate impact (ie, can't stay in the lottery). Then there is that cap boom.

The difference is that Amir was breaking down and Demar is still in his prime, having just completed the best regular season of his career. If Demar walks and we can't replace him with another "all star", Kyle is likely very unhappy.

Comment

Teams can now only sign and trade players if they sign them to a deal a team that doesn't have Bird Rights can sign them to - so their max offer, but only for 4 years and smaller raises. In other words, if the Lakers have cap room, they can offer him 4 years and just over 100M. And if we sign and trade DD to them (or anyone else), we can offer him 4 years and just over 100M.
                        Not sure I understand this.

So if Masai signs DeRozan to a max contract (i.e. the highest term/dollar amount possible by the Raptors), he can't be traded until a certain amount of time has expired?

Comment

Excellent analysis. Hopefully someone brings this to his attention.
                          And hopefully he gives a shit. Someone could bring it to his attention and he could be like "Kyle needs 35 shots tonight to see if we can get him going", where we know even if he shoots 10% on the game he'll still get those shots.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Not sure I understand this.

So if Masai signs DeRozan to a max contract (i.e. the highest term/dollar amount possible by the Raptors), he can't be traded until a certain amount of time has expired?
                            Signing a player then trading them later is different than a "sign and trade", which is an actual type of transaction. A sign and trade means that the player signs a contract with his current team that in the contract itself states that he will be traded (within 48 hours or something) to a specific team.

For all other times a player signs a contract, they cannot be traded until the next December/January (depending on the type of contract).

So we could sign DD to a 5 year, Bird Rights max contract, then try to trade him mid-season next year. Or we could sign-and-trade him to a team in July, but if we do we can't offer those 5 years.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Signing a player then trading them later is different than a "sign and trade", which is an actual type of transaction. A sign and trade means that the player signs a contract with his current team that in the contract itself states that he will be traded (within 48 hours or something) to a specific team.

For all other times a player signs a contract, they cannot be traded until the next December/January (depending on the type of contract).

So we could sign DD to a 5 year, Bird Rights max contract, then try to trade him mid-season next year. Or we could sign-and-trade him to a team in July, but if we do we can't offer those 5 years.
                              Thanks for the explanation. So the only reason DeRozan would agree to a S&T with us, is if he wants to go to a specific team who doesn't have the cap space to sign him directly.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Thanks for the explanation. So the only reason DeRozan would agree to a S&T with us, is if he wants to go to a specific team who doesn't have the cap space to sign him directly.
                                Yep.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X