Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Valanciunas

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Can this high USG% be partially explained by grabbing offensive rebounds and going back up?

    In other words, not a reflection of how much the offense is intentionally running through Biyombo.
    It could have a bit to do with that, but that's not to say it's not a problem. They had Hansbrough prioritize saving the possession over going back up. They can do the same with Biyombo. Unless they don't want to risk him passing it either. Just so damn useless...

    Comment


    • consmap wrote: View Post
      It's nice to see him kicking it back out, as well as looking for a better option to pass to before he goes to make his move. Makes the offense nicer
      It keeps the rest of the team on the floor in motion/and attentive because there is a possibility they get it. If thats what you meant....that is pretty basketball because it's not a sinkhole where the ball goes to die like it happened too often with others in previous seasons making it a stagnant offense. What JV has to guard against is that other teams will adjust to him and be more vigilant about his passing. We shall see.

      Comment


      • JV is becoming a pretty decent post-defender. He's also starting to add that jumpshot to set up his fakes. Good rebounder...

        The biggest problem for JV lies in his lack of speed, which isn't really his fault. It's not like he wants to be this slow. Raptors coaching staff made him bulk up so he would be a bigger force as a post-defender and rebounder, but the thing is the league doesn't require those things as much as it requires your big man to be mobile and play PnR defense, and rotate well. That's why I think JV should have never bulked up and just fill out naturally without forcing it.

        Through the 5 first games this season, JV has been abysmal (yep, that's the word) as far as his opponents' FG% go:



        This shows that he lets opponents shoot 3-pointers by 20% better than their season averages. Suddenly, a 35% long-range shooter becomes a Korver-type at 55% against Jonas. Similar story with 2PT field-goals where most damage by opponents is done in PnR (just guessing, since his post-defense is pretty adequate).

        Comment


        • omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
          JV is becoming a pretty decent post-defender. He's also starting to add that jumpshot to set up his fakes. Good rebounder...

          The biggest problem for JV lies in his lack of speed, which isn't really his fault. It's not like he wants to be this slow. Raptors coaching staff made him bulk up so he would be a bigger force as a post-defender and rebounder, but the thing is the league doesn't require those things as much as it requires your big man to be mobile and play PnR defense, and rotate well. That's why I think JV should have never bulked up and just fill out naturally without forcing it.

          Through the 5 first games this season, JV has been abysmal (yep, that's the word) as far as his opponents' FG% go:



          This shows that he lets opponents shoot 3-pointers by 20% better than their season averages. Suddenly, a 35% long-range shooter becomes a Korver-type at 55% against Jonas. Similar story with 2PT field-goals where most damage by opponents is done in PnR (just guessing, since his post-defense is pretty adequate).
          Why is JV defending perimeter shooters? seems like it shows how much 2Pats has been struggling or Scola

          Comment


          • raptors999 wrote: View Post
            Why is JV defending perimeter shooters? seems like it shows how much 2Pats has been struggling or Scola
            I'm guessing those are from when JV is rotating on an opposing wide open guard, or defending a PF-C who can stretch the floor.

            Comment


            • omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
              I'm guessing those are from when JV is rotating on an opposing wide open guard, or defending a PF-C who can stretch the floor.
              Which just shows a breakdown or good ball movement. Those could show how often Raps are leaving corners undefended

              Comment


              • raptors999 wrote: View Post
                Which just shows a breakdown or good ball movement. Those could show how often Raps are leaving corners undefended
                That stat is definitely system-dependent. Also, very small sample size.

                Comment


                • With the adjusted defensive system raptors are playing this year made three pointers are not jv's responsibility, its on the teammates to make the rotation, the 2pointers fg is better than average across the board, so i think its a win for the raptors

                  Comment


                  • omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                    JV is becoming a pretty decent post-defender. He's also starting to add that jumpshot to set up his fakes. Good rebounder...

                    The biggest problem for JV lies in his lack of speed, which isn't really his fault. It's not like he wants to be this slow. Raptors coaching staff made him bulk up so he would be a bigger force as a post-defender and rebounder, but the thing is the league doesn't require those things as much as it requires your big man to be mobile and play PnR defense, and rotate well. That's why I think JV should have never bulked up and just fill out naturally without forcing it.

                    Through the 5 first games this season, JV has been abysmal (yep, that's the word) as far as his opponents' FG% go:



                    This shows that he lets opponents shoot 3-pointers by 20% better than their season averages. Suddenly, a 35% long-range shooter becomes a Korver-type at 55% against Jonas. Similar story with 2PT field-goals where most damage by opponents is done in PnR (just guessing, since his post-defense is pretty adequate).
                    If the opoosing teams center is shooting threes then our pf dhould switch on them out there.

                    I dont think that any team is lining up a threepoint shooting center and pf and runnng 5 guys behind the line.


                    Also gasol is a pretty slow center. I would be more than ok with jv becoming him.

                    Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

                    Comment


                    • omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                      JV is becoming a pretty decent post-defender. He's also starting to add that jumpshot to set up his fakes. Good rebounder...

                      The biggest problem for JV lies in his lack of speed, which isn't really his fault. It's not like he wants to be this slow. Raptors coaching staff made him bulk up so he would be a bigger force as a post-defender and rebounder, but the thing is the league doesn't require those things as much as it requires your big man to be mobile and play PnR defense, and rotate well. That's why I think JV should have never bulked up and just fill out naturally without forcing it.

                      Through the 5 first games this season, JV has been abysmal (yep, that's the word) as far as his opponents' FG% go:



                      This shows that he lets opponents shoot 3-pointers by 20% better than their season averages. Suddenly, a 35% long-range shooter becomes a Korver-type at 55% against Jonas. Similar story with 2PT field-goals where most damage by opponents is done in PnR (just guessing, since his post-defense is pretty adequate).
                      Strange, I know that you got your stats from NBA.com, but when I run the team defensive stats, it shows different numbers for JV.

                      They show opponents shooting 61% within 5ft, 32% within 5-9ft, 30% within 10-14ft, 41.5% with 15-19ft, 30.9% within 20-24ft, and 27.3% within 25 - 29ft.

                      Biyombo has a line of 47.3%/47.1%/42.9%/20.0%/29%/26%
                      Jonas has a line of 61.0%/32.0%/30.%/41.5%/30.9%/27.3%
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

                      If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

                      Comment


                      • Axel wrote: View Post
                        Strange, I know that you got your stats from NBA.com, but when I run the team defensive stats, it shows different numbers for JV.

                        They show opponents shooting 61% within 5ft, 32% within 5-9ft, 30% within 10-14ft, 41.5% with 15-19ft, 30.9% within 20-24ft, and 27.3% within 25 - 29ft.

                        Biyombo has a line of 47.3%/47.1%/42.9%/20.0%/29%/26%
                        Jonas has a line of 61.0%/32.0%/30.%/41.5%/30.9%/27.3%
                        BB doing great job protecting the rim.
                        @Chr1st1anL

                        Comment


                        • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          BB doing great job protecting the rim.
                          He's doing a better job protecting the bench.

                          Comment


                          • Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            BB doing great job protecting the rim.
                            JV plays against Westbrook and Biyombo Waiters

                            Comment


                            • raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              Why is JV defending perimeter shooters? seems like it shows how much 2Pats has been struggling or Scola
                              It's because of wings switching off of the pick-&-roll; it was also a lot more evident last season when Ross was being overpowered, DeRozan was getting blown by every second position, and Lowry was getting rugged by opposing point guards.

                              Comment


                              • raptors999 wrote: View Post
                                JV plays against Westbrook and Biyombo Waiters
                                Lol I wasn't trying to make this a JV vs BB thing. I cant complement a player without you guys getting all worked up.
                                @Chr1st1anL

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X