No announcement yet.

Everything Gridiron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The whole concept of Alf depending on RGIII has been well known in fantasy circles for years. Here's some old articles on the relationship:

May 30, 2013:
    It's clear that Alfred Morris benefited from Robert Griffin III in the backfield. How much did that help? Like many before him, he benefited from both the zone-blocking scheme and stretch plays. He benefited from the pistol, the option and the triple-option. Was it his talent that earned those numbers or the fact that defenses in the NFL weren't prepared for this type of offense? Would Morris have gained as many yards if we didn't have a running threat at the QB position? RG3 kept backside defenders occupied on stretch plays and optimized Alfred's running opportunities on option plays by giving him the ball when the defender they "optioned" stayed with the quarterback.
    http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/5/30/4...-alfred-morris

November 2, 2014:
    In Sunday’s game against Minnesota, he had 55 yards on 10 carries (plus a score) with more than nine minutes to go in the first half. The reason? Robert Griffin III was back under center.

In games with Griffin, Morris has rushed for 91.2 yards per game, averaging 4.9 yards per carry. In those game without Griffin, well, not as good.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...g-game-better/

And a really detailed one here:
    Entering the game against the Vikings on Sunday, Alfred Morris had been averaging 3.9 yards per carry, down from his 4.8 yards per carry average in his rookie campaign and 4.6 last season. With Robert Griffin III returning from his dislocated ankle, the threat of the quarterback running on the read-option was re-established and Morris benefited. Morris bounced back to his rookie season average of 4.8 yards per carry against the Vikings, taking 19 carries for 92 yards and two touchdowns.

So just how much did Griffin’s return impact Morris in the run game? The threat of his legs kept the backside contain defender from chasing down the run, giving Morris more time and more cutback opportunities. With the read-option, the Redskins were able to leave that backside contain defender unblocked and had an extra blocker to the front-side of the run.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...alfred-morris/

If you go there it really goes into it in high detail.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      Axel, Cooley last played with the Redskins four years ago. I don't care if he said it last week, it doesn't matter.
      Of course it matters. Have you seen any players speak up in RG3's defence since Cooley's comments? The facts present a picture of a guy who alienated himself from his teammates and now they are all content to leave him out to dry.

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Did you ever consider that Morris is a product of RGIII keeping people out of the box? Have you noticed that Morris peaked in 2012 and hasn't been the same guy with RGIII out of the lineup? I think Griffin comes back with vengeance this season if he lands in the right spot.
      I think Morris and RG3 are a bit of a symbiotic relationship. Morris needs the read option threat because RG3 hasn't been good with his deep ball, so that is the only way to keep defences honest. I also think Morris has been a bit better than you present. He did rush for 1200 and 1000 yards in 2013 and 2014, with YPC of 4.8, 4.6 and 4.1 in his first 3 years. Last year was more of a struggle, but that is because he got fewer carries and they had a revolving door of bad QBs. Also the first year a back up RB had more than 62 carries (144 to be exact). So did Morris really struggle? (Fantasy stats aside.)
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Lots of guys spoke very highly of RGIII during the season and after he left when it didn't matter anymore. The only guy who tossed him under the bus was a guy who's not played in the league in four years, was only in there with RGIII when he was a young guy fresh out of college. Maybe no one is saying anything because Cooley doesn't matter anymore? I'll take the word of people who've been around him extensively this year, only months ago.

Alf is not a great back, he's a system back. Its why he's still a FA and has only had one team call for a visit. Also, some of those articles I shared were from 2014. Mike was gone then.

There are many different ways to play the QB position. Gruden didn't want a dynamic player, he wanted a traditional sit back in the pocket and try not to make mistakes kind of game manager. He has that maybe now. That's not the only way to play the game of football though. If RGIII plays in another system identical to Gruden's then I'm sure he won't live up to potential there either but Gruden is one guy, he's not the NFL standard.

Comment

There are many different ways to play the QB position. Gruden didn't want a dynamic player, he wanted a traditional sit back in the pocket and try not to make mistakes kind of game manager. He has that maybe now. That's not the only way to play the game of football though. If RGIII plays in another system identical to Gruden's then I'm sure he won't live up to potential there either but Gruden is one guy, he's not the NFL standard.
          I agree with this but there are certain throws you have to be able to make and RG3 doesn't seem to hit them. That means the system needs to tailor to his style but also the quality of players around him need to make up for his short comings. I don't think Cleveland is the place to go for the latter. That division is murderers row, plus this year they draw the NFC East (which is entertaining as Cleveland will play in Washington), AFC East, and then Chargers & Titans. That is not an easy schedule. This team will lose a lot of football games again this year and I don't know how well RG3 is prepared for that. The defence there is good, but it won't help him when he's on the field.

Via NFL.com
          Cleveland Opponents in 2016
          Home: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots, New York Jets, San Diego Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants

Away: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins

Nice to be talking football again at least.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Good coaches build their systems around the guys they have. Every system is custom made to their personnel. You're not going to see The Chiefs send Alex Smith on a scramble. You're not going to see the Seahawks tell Russell Wilson he can't escape the pocket. You're not going to see whoever signs Anquan Boldin send him on a deep route to blow the top off the defense. You're not going to see Eddy Lacy be asked to run off the edge and beat linebackers and secondaries in a foot race. No, coaches build their system around the guys they have and the Browns are looking at bringing in RGIII. Hue Jackson, their coach is interested. He knows what RGIII is. It's not a handicap to build your team around what you have to work with, it's just how it's done in the league. It's why good teams evolve over time to get the most out of their squads. The Pats aren't playing the identical same system they were running four years ago for example. Neither are the Steelers. Neither are the Packers.

I would contend that the Browns need a guy like RGIII to give them the versatility to fight their way through. They're not going to go anywhere playing it safe.

Comment

I would contend that the Browns need a guy like RGIII to give them the versatility to fight their way through. They're not going to go anywhere playing it safe.
              I don't disagree that they need to take a chance on a guy, I just think that there are better options than RG3. Kaepernick seems better suited than RG3, even with the added cost of a trade. RG3 should be there fallback option because the reasons is he available are real; he is a small frame running QB who struggles to make throws and not get sacked.

If he wants to succeed long term, Cleveland isn't likely the best landing spot. Yes, they might be the best starters spot, but that doesn't mean its the best choice for him either.

Comment

• The difference is one guy requires a 3rd rounder in a trade and the other guy requires a nod and a handshake. The difference between Kaep and RGIII isn't much if any. You get the same opportunities and challenges with both. Kaep is no better in my opinion.

I'd rather keep the pick and improve the team through the draft and go with RGIII. Seems like a better value play and that's not even considering the contract savings that RGIII will offer. I'd imagine he lands a small one year prove it deal or a incentive/milestone laced deal with little guarantees.

Comment

• I think Kaep has better physical tools. RG3 is just too small to be a mobile QB to play 16+ games each year.

Comment

• Says who really?

Doug Flutie: 5'10", 180lbs
                    Russell Wilson: 5'11", 203lbs
                    Michael Vick: 6'0", 215lbs
                    Robert Griffin: 6'2", 220lbs
                    Aaron Rodgers: 6'2", 223lbs
                    Colin Kaepernick: 6'4", 225lbs

Is it height or muscle that allows a person to absorb contact?

Comment

• Weird, thought RG3 was closer to 210 than 220 (thought he was around 213).

I think we both know that there are exceptions to every rule but more importantly, the ability to make the throws is what separates some of those guys.

Wilson is a much better passer.
                      Vick was an electric runner, RG3 isn't near that level; plus he had a deep ball arm.
                      Rodgers isn't a running QB, so you might as well list Brees while you're at it.
                      Flutie had his Flutie Flakes powering him, so that makes him half super hero. His mullet gave him the other half of the super powers, so he's a full fledged super hero.

Kaep seems much better designed to take the punishment as a running QB with questionable passing. The ostrich-man looks bigger and strong in his torso and arms than RG3, who simply looks small out there.

Anyways, seems like the Browns agree with you, which isn't exactly an endorsement lol

Comment

• Well I don't know that but Hue Jackson seems to agree with me. He managed to help the Bengals offense reach elite form, only slowed by their starting QB going down. The man knows offense. He helped Andy Dalton reach career heights and funny enough he took over for Jay Gruden who did not see that same success with a young QB. Maybe he shows up Jay Gruden again now in Cleveland with RGIII.

Comment

Well I don't know that but Hue Jackson seems to agree with me. He managed to help the Bengals offense reach elite form, only slowed by their starting QB going down. The man knows offense. He helped Andy Dalton reach career heights and funny enough he took over for Jay Gruden who did not see that same success with a young QB. Maybe he shows up Jay Gruden again now in Cleveland with RGIII.
                          Hue also ran a fairly traditional pocket passer offence in Cincy, so while he seems more flexible than Shanahan and Jay Gruden, he doesn't have the track record with mobile QBs. Will be interesting to see.

Comment

• He has a wide resume. His focus is offense, an expert of offense and everywhere he's gone he had a large impact on the offense of that team wearing various hats. For example, he was even Joe Flacco's QB coach and helped him win a few playoff games. He was also Stephen Davis' RB coach when he was going off way back when. A scrambler opens opportunities you can't otherwise take advantage of. There's two sides to the coin, he's a good fit for RGIII. Probably the best fit available.

Comment

• Alfred Morris to the Boys. TBH, I was hoping we would land DE Joey Bosa in the first round and RB Derrick Henry from Bama in the second round. I've got a feeling they're going with lots of defense in this draft.

Overall it's been a pretty quiet off-season for the League... so far!

Comment

• I've read some rumors of them looking for the grandslam shot to left field by taking Ezekiel Elliott at #4. It would make sense if they go that way because theres no guarantee on Alf and to take pocket pressure off Romo would be very, very wise considering his recent injury woes. If they can keep him protected maybe he can pump out another three really good seasons. The elite QB's the league are playing at a high level longer than ever before. Favre, Manning, Brees, Palmer, Brady, its promising for Romo if he can avoid the big hits and do whatever training regime those guys are doing.

I know Favre for example started focusing on intensive core training when he got to Romo's age. The goal was to maintain his incredible durability and arm strength. The core is an athlete's foundation so it makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X