The Space Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post

This is true. Some form of anti-gravitational system (and suit) will have to be available... but I would think if this were truly a body to get to the distance/time travel issue will have to be solved first?
    Yeah, I was just jumping ahead. Honestly the only realistic solutions to the distance issue (which with the technology we have are unrealistic) are either a space colony/generation ship (but it would need to fly at least 1000 times faster than let's say New Horizons probe to make it an option and that's... unlikely) or cryogenic/artificial insemination capsules, where people are preserved for hundreds/more likely thousands of years until they arrive. Let's go complete sci-fy, send bunch of artificial bodies there and upload minds once they arrive.

Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post

Yeah, I was just jumping ahead. Honestly the only realistic solutions to the distance issue (which with the technology we have are unrealistic) are either a space colony/generation ship (but it would need to fly at least 1000 times faster than let's say New Horizons probe to make it an option and that's... unlikely) or cryogenic/artificial insemination capsules, where people are preserved for hundreds/more likely thousands of years until they arrive. Let's go complete sci-fy, send bunch of artificial bodies there and upload minds once they arrive.
      That's Jeffrey Epstein thinking there! Apparently he had a mind re cryogenics/longevity etc. and had many connections in the scientific community on these matters. But ... he had "other thoughts" too.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post

That's Jeffrey Epstein thinking there! Apparently he had a mind re cryogenics/longevity etc. and had many connections in the scientific community on these matters. But ... he had "other thoughts" too.
        I guess we have something in common then, haha. Didn't worked out well for him though, unless he managed to freeze his penis before getting to jail.

Comment

Wondering out here, all of that sounds promising, but correct me if I'm wrong, if the size is twice as big and the mass of the planet is 8 times more wouldn't that mean that the gravity would be too much for a human body? Unless we all become Shwarzneggers of course?
          Yep, big problem. But not as big an issue as it might seem. It being bigger helps with the heavier bit. If it's twice the diameter and 8 times the weight, our effective weight would only be twice as much - which is a lot, for sure, just not as much as it first appears.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Wondering out here, all of that sounds promising, but correct me if I'm wrong, if the size is twice as big and the mass of the planet is 8 times more wouldn't that mean that the gravity would be too much for a human body? Unless we all become Shwarzneggers of course?
            DanH wrote: View Post

Yep, big problem. But not as big an issue as it might seem. It being bigger helps with the heavier bit. If it's twice the diameter and 8 times the weight, our effective weight would only be twice as much - which is a lot, for sure, just not as much as it first appears.
            I'll get my monthly Expanse TV show plug in here (watch it now on Prime!) since they actually look at this in the other way, exploring what would happen to the human body as it goes through generations of Low-G adaptation. Great show. I think a simple exoskeleton at first to help us adjust is all we would need for a 2x planet... but ya, would be cool to see what would happen after generations of 2x.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

I'll get my monthly Expanse TV show plug in here (watch it now on Prime!) since they actually look at this in the other way, exploring what would happen to the human body as it goes through generations of Low-G adaptation. Great show. I think a simple exoskeleton at first to help us adjust is all we would need for a 2x planet... but ya, would be cool to see what would happen after generations of 2x.
              Expanse - best TV show there is for me, just rewatched it for a second time (never do these things). That makes perfect sense, yes. Once you get there use an exoskeleton or train extensively prior to landing and then let the evolution do the job. Not sure how this may affect childbirth as changes in gravitation have a highly increased chance of miscarriage though.

Comment

Expanse - best TV show there is for me, just rewatched it for a second time (never do these things). That makes perfect sense, yes. Once you get there use an exoskeleton or train extensively prior to landing and then let the evolution do the job. Not sure how this may affect childbirth as changes in gravitation have a highly increased chance of miscarriage though.
                Yes RandomGuy!! Finally found someone that appreciates it like I do! I also just recently rewatched it, and I've never done that with a show. So good.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Yes RandomGuy!! Finally found someone that appreciates it like I do! I also just recently rewatched it, and I've never done that with a show. So good.
                  It's so so underrated. Hopefully Prime does adequate marketing for them which they deserve. So happy new season is actually going to happen, could watch it and watch it, that universe in which action takes place is so well developed that even watching a season about cleaner working in Tycho station would be interesting.

Comment

• Comment

• Starship prototype is nuts. And this is just the upper stage

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                        Starship prototype is nuts. And this is just the upper stage

So cool.... but in a way, it looks like they just built it out of wood and wrapped tinfoil around it, like we might do for a science fair. Haha

Comment

• 11 Years ago Today, SpaceX made it to orbit for the first time. And now they have this thing, which is doing a test flight to 65,000ft and back in 1-2 months. Inspiring really ...

Thank God for Elon Musk.
                          Last edited by Joey; Sun Sep 29, 2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Seeing Elon talk in this interview really just shows you how much he loves what he does, and is excited about it every single day.
                            Did not know this, but I guess Elon is Chief Engineer with SpaceX ... that makes sense I guess ... Lol

Comment

• Some messages back from interstellar vger. Contact will be lost soon, we will forget and in 300 years the world will end unless the Kirks of iowa continue to breed.

The video is cool though.

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X