Everything 2019 Offseason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    As for Beal.. I don't think they move him until they get a president/gm in place. Like New Orleans did with Griffin. So it might take some time for that trade to happen.

He's not a game changer.. top 10 type of guy. But I don't see a top 10 guy available anytime soon. Plus the price tag is now at least 5 picks and some pick swaps with a prospect or two. It's heavy.

I'd go after Beal because we need offense, and a SG. He fits the team and the future. I don't have confidence he'll stay after 2021 though. But we have all our picks and most teams (like Miami) don't.
    I like Beal as well, but trading for Beal feels like a win now move with no hope of winning a championship. I would rather they build up their assets, see what they have with the young players, create another team of championship caliber role players then make trades when they feel good about their chances to win it all again.

Who knows maybe along the way one of the young guys develops into an impact player like Pascal/FVV and now you're that much closer to a championship roster without eating into your cap space. That really was a significant part of the championship run which doesn't get spoken about. Most contenders have two or three top 10-15 players. Raptors did it with one. That's kind of huge.

Comment

• The only reason I would trade for Beal or a guy like CJ would be that you could resign him using your bird rights? Dan H correct me if I'm wrong but the cap hit would be lower than what they would get on the free market. Which potentially would give you a few extra bucks to go out and sign a max guy (Alphabet) and then sign either two guard using your birds rights to go over the cap?

Does that make sense?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I like Beal as well, but trading for Beal feels like a win now move with no hope of winning a championship. I would rather they build up their assets, see what they have with the young players, create another team of championship caliber role players then make trades when they feel good about their chances to win it all again.

Who knows maybe along the way one of the young guys develops into an impact player like Pascal/FVV and now you're that much closer to a championship roster without eating into your cap space. That really was a significant part of the championship run which doesn't get spoken about. Most contenders have two or three top 10-15 players. Raptors did it with one. That's kind of huge.
        Beal is 26. He's only a year older than Siakam. So he can be used as our new "DeMar", with Siakam taking the Lowry role. The concern is will he stick around for 2021 where we'll have the cap space for a guy to play with Beal/Siakam. That can be a championship team and our window doesn't close. Lots of things have to go right and it will be a gamble.

I think it's worth it if the price is right. I wouldn't trade Lowry, Marc or Pascal if we want to try to get to the finals in 2020. We would have to probably include at least 3 picks which seems like the right amount for a sub-superstar/all-nba type these days.

Ideal trade for me would be OG/Serge with 3 picks.. that way they get the prospect (OG), large expiring contract (Serge) and a series of picks.

Of course the picks can't be too generous.. need protections on the later ones. But its our draft capital that can help us get him since we have all our picks (both first and second rounders going forward).

Comment

Beal is 26. He's only a year older than Siakam. So he can be used as our new "DeMar", with Siakam taking the Lowry role. The concern is will he stick around for 2021 where we'll have the cap space for a guy to play with Beal/Siakam. That can be a championship team and our window doesn't close. Lots of things have to go right and it will be a gamble.

I think it's worth it if the price is right. I wouldn't trade Lowry, Marc or Pascal if we want to try to get to the finals in 2020. We would have to probably include at least 3 picks which seems like the right amount for a sub-superstar/all-nba type these days.

Ideal trade for me would be OG/Serge with 3 picks.. that way they get the prospect (OG), large expiring contract (Serge) and a series of picks.

Of course the picks can't be too generous.. need protections on the later ones. But its our draft capital that can help us get him since we have all our picks (both first and second rounders going forward).

Yeah, we need a guy who can handle > 27% USG @ at least league average efficiency (110 ORTG). It's doubtful that Pascal is going to be able to make the leap from 20% USG as a second option, all the way up to 27% and beyond.

The link below is a list of guys who have be able to do that in the last 4 years. Any player who is on the list 2 or more times is an elite scorer. Beal is on the list twice. Some interesting one-timers on the list that could be intriguing value pickups.

http://bkref.com/tiny/5nbUT

Comment

• That’s a pretty steep price. 3 picks, And OG.

I think we forget how good OG could be with regular minutes again. We were all impressed with his rookie season. Last year was an extremely hard year for him between his father dying, him leaving the team to look after his little bro in the states, and injuries. I expect him to bounce back and give us a solid year. He’s not going to be as good as Beal but I can see him contributing like Ariza or Otto Porter. You need guys like that.

If we can add Beal without ditching OG, we could have a nice wing combo of Beal, OG, and Siakam. PG’s are easily available and Centres are becoming less of a cap hit. So spending picks at SG is worth the investment.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
              The only reason I would trade for Beal or a guy like CJ would be that you could resign him using your bird rights? Dan H correct me if I'm wrong but the cap hit would be lower than what they would get on the free market. Which potentially would give you a few extra bucks to go out and sign a max guy (Alphabet) and then sign either two guard using your birds rights to go over the cap?

Does that make sense?
              A free agent's cap hold is 150% of his previous salary or his max salary, whichever is smaller. Both Beal and CJ have a 20-21 salary of roughly 29M. Making their potential cap hold 44M - well above their max salary of 37.5M, meaning their max salary will be their cap hold. So, sadly, no, we would gain zero flexibility doing that.

Doing that with a guy like Pascal who is on his rookie scale deal brings real advantages (cap hold only 7M, versus expected max starting salary around 29M). Any veteran who got paid well on their post-rookie deal will have a cap hold too high to consider that strategy.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Enter the Dragan?

Orazio Cauchi: As Dragan Bender continues to explore the NBA market, Cleveland and Toronto are among the teams that have inquired, I’ve been told, European market remains an option for the Croatian forward. CSKA Moscow and Fenerbache are looking at his situation with some level of interest.
                The Raptors are starting to look more and more like Joey's dynasty team, circa 2017.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Enter the Dragan?

The Raptors are starting to look more and more like Joey's dynasty team, circa 2017.
                  Bender is the perfect example of a guy who was drafted by the wrong team at the wrong time. Suns had no clue what to do with him and he wasted away out west. Not sure how they fit him onto the roster but it would certainly be interesting.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Bender is the perfect example of a guy who was drafted by the wrong team at the wrong time. Suns had no clue what to do with him and he wasted away out west. Not sure how they fit him onto the roster but it would certainly be interesting.
                    The funny thing is they drafted two project centers coming at the game in two entirely different ways in the top eight of the same draft and flopped on both. They passed on Jamal Murray.

I think Bender still has a chance. He's 22.

Comment

The funny thing is they drafted two project centers coming at the game in two entirely different ways in the top eight of the same draft and flopped on both. They passed on Jamal Murray.

Still only 21. Same age as DeAndre Hunter and Rui Hachimura.

Comment

• If Bender's willing to play in the G-League and sign a 2-way contract than sure.. I'd rather get Boucher some time with the actual team than Bender.. Boucher is older but he's already a pretty good shooter and shot blocker.

I like that the Raptors don't mind developing guys that haven't panned out in the league.. it's a good risk to take.. but I think we're already at 15 spots aren't we?

1. Kyle
                        2. Siakam
                        3. Marc
                        4. Norm
                        5. OG
                        6. Serge
                        7. Fred
                        8. RHJ
                        9. Stan
                        10. McCaw
                        11. Boucher
                        12. Davis
                        13. Hernandez
                        14. Matt Thomas
                        15. Malcolm Miller

Miller/Boucher are not guaranteed so can be waived.. We also signed Sagaba Konate after the draft (but I believe is unguaranteed).

If we bring in Bender I bet it's just for camp. I would be surprised if he got an actual contract. But I could be wrong.

Comment

If Bender's willing to play in the G-League and sign a 2-way contract than sure.. I'd rather get Boucher some time with the actual team than Bender.. Boucher is older but he's already a pretty good shooter and shot blocker.

I like that the Raptors don't mind developing guys that haven't panned out in the league.. it's a good risk to take.. but I think we're already at 15 spots aren't we?

1. Kyle
                          2. Siakam
                          3. Marc
                          4. Norm
                          5. OG
                          6. Serge
                          7. Fred
                          8. RHJ
                          9. Stan
                          10. McCaw
                          11. Boucher
                          12. Davis
                          13. Hernandez
                          14. Matt Thomas
                          15. Malcolm Miller

Miller/Boucher are not guaranteed so can be waived.. We also signed Sagaba Konate after the draft (but I believe is unguaranteed).

If we bring in Bender I bet it's just for camp. I would be surprised if he got an actual contract. But I could be wrong.
                          My guess is Bender is less expandable than one of those guys.

To land Bender he's probably going to need more than a camp invite.

Comment

People get too focused on player acquisition (e.g. drafting) and lose sight of player development, which is arguably equally or even more important, especially when you are a good team like the Raps that rarely has high picks to use on blue chip guys.

It's also important to note that the Raps signed guys like RHJ and Johnson. That gives them the depth to put young guys like Hernandez and Davis in the GLeague for a year or two to work on their games rather than trying to rush them into the NBA, failing, and then busting (see Bender), which means they can have patience with guys.

Comment

• Well we'll see about that this year because as of right now I can't think of any examples in house of a player who busted elsewhere, then came to the Raptors and totally turned it around. The story seems to go: rookie was overlooked by many, acquired by the Raptors, developed over a few years and then became someone. One could argue, for sure, that story shows the Raptors' ability to scout better than most. Now if Stanley Johnson breaks out next season then surely you're on to something specific about this organization. For right now I think they're elite at finding talent. Let's see them turn around someone else's mess.

Comment

Well we'll see about that this year because as of right now I can't think of any examples in house of a player who busted elsewhere, then came to the Raptors and totally turned it around. The story seems to go: rookie was overlooked by many, acquired by the Raptors, developed over a few years and then became someone. One could argue, for sure, that story shows the Raptors' ability to scout better than most. Now if Stanley Johnson breaks out next season then surely you're on to something specific about this organization. For right now I think they're elite at finding talent. Let's see them turn around someone else's mess.
                                Well, Biyombo is the obvious one. They pulled him off the scrap heap and made him ~$70 million.

Comment

Working...
                                X