No announcement yet.

Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things are looking encouraging. Thanks for the Draft Combine clips of Edey.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
      Well for Canadian Basketball selfish reasons the NBA playoffs have gone well with all of our major guns not going to the conference Finals .. The experience playing in the playoffs for the Pacers might help if ANDREW NEMBHARD is invited to camp for PG back up role ..
      That's an interesting call: CoJo or Nembhard for the 3rd PG spot? I know people are down on CoJo, but he's got a ton of FIBA and NBA experience. In 1 game elimination tournaments, that experience can matter.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

That's an interesting call: CoJo or Nembhard for the 3rd PG spot? I know people are down on CoJo, but he's got a ton of FIBA and NBA experience. In 1 game elimination tournaments, that experience can matter.
        If the experience is losing a bunch at the international level, then is it that valuable now that he's washed as a player?

Just send the best players. It's not rocket science.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

If the experience is losing a bunch at the international level, then is it that valuable now that he's washed as a player?

Just send the best players. It's not rocket science.
          The 3rd string PG isn't playing 35 minutes a game, or might not even play at all... so the washed part isn't really a factor. You're basically looking for 5 or so minutes of mistake-free basketball, in case of emergency, at which point FIBA experience becomes important. Even just knowing the sneaky tricks those European teams always try and not falling for it, could be important. Or being a vocal leader. I could go either way on this, but I would expect the final guard spot to come down to those 2 guys if they're both interested.

Comment

The 3rd string PG isn't playing 35 minutes a game, or might not even play at all... so the washed part isn't really a factor. You're basically looking for 5 or so minutes of mistake-free basketball, in case of emergency, at which point FIBA experience becomes important. Even just knowing the sneaky tricks those European teams always try and not falling for it, could be important. Or being a vocal leader. I could go either way on this, but I would expect the final guard spot to come down to those 2 guys if they're both interested.
            The Scrubb boys have even more international experience. Should we send them over CoJo? At what point does it matter how good of a basketball player they are? That's the only thing that should matter. Send the best guys. Injuries happen that's why we get to send a bench too and it should be filled with the best players.

Comment

• We only get 12 roster spots.. no way do I use one on CoJo. We have Olynyk who's been there before. And we got Bronze without having CoJo on the team in the World Cup.

Between Shai, Murray and RJ (in a pinch) I think we have enough ball handlers. If we need a 4th I'd be fine with Nembhard.

Comment

The Scrubb boys have even more international experience. Should we send them over CoJo? At what point does it matter how good of a basketball player they are? That's the only thing that should matter. Send the best guys. Injuries happen that's why we get to send a bench too and it should be filled with the best players.
                It's not just the best players, though, it's the player group that makes the best team. That was clear at the worlds where you had clear role definition and complimentary play. Rotation won't be more than 9 deep, so, you should absolutely be strategic with the last 3 spots and look to fill gaps, add experience, personalities, etc.

Canada isn't the USA where they can put together a top 12 that can win by force.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

It's not just the best players, though, it's the player group that makes the best team. That was clear at the worlds where you had clear role definition and complimentary play. Rotation won't be more than 9 deep, so, you should absolutely be strategic with the last 3 spots and look to fill gaps, add experience, personalities, etc.

Canada isn't the USA where they can put together a top 12 that can win by force.
                  We need to be thinking long term here, and giving Olympic experience to young NBA players is going to be far more beneficial for the program than trotting out non-NBA players who definitely won't be with the team in the future. Those end of bench spots should be for building towards the future in addition to having the best backups available in case of injury.

In my opinion we gain nothing by having CoJo ride the pine in Paris, but we'd gain quite a bit having Nembhard in that spot since he's 24 years old and will be in his prime come next Olympics.

We can't say we need to send the guys with the most international experience while at the same time preventing our young studs from getting any international experience.

Easy solution is to just send the best players. Nembhard is a lot better than CoJo at this point.

Comment

We need to be thinking long term here, and giving Olympic experience to young NBA players is going to be far more beneficial for the program than trotting out non-NBA players who definitely won't be with the team in the future. Those end of bench spots should be for building towards the future in addition to having the best backups available in case of injury.

In my opinion we gain nothing by having CoJo ride the pine in Paris, but we'd gain quite a bit having Nembhard in that spot since he's 24 years old and will be in his prime come next Olympics.

We can't say we need to send the guys with the most international experience while at the same time preventing our young studs from getting any international experience.

Easy solution is to just send the best players. Nembhard is a lot better than CoJo at this point.
                    Chemistry is critical in FIBA and you have zero time to develop that. Even less time to develop chemistry than the World Cup. CoJo has played his whole life with Olynyk, and a lot of games with guys like Powell and RJ.

Comment

Chemistry is critical in FIBA and you have zero time to develop that. Even less time to develop chemistry than the World Cup. CoJo has played his whole life with Olynyk, and a lot of games with guys like Powell and RJ.
                      So when does Nembhard get to develop chemistry with the men's squad if he's not allowed to play on it?

Doesn't it make WAY more sense to use those final roster spots to get our young players building chemistry with each other?

Let's get Nembhard started now and the next world cup he will have over 2 years of chemistry with the rest of the squad, and over 4 years of chemistry by the next Olympics.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

i agree with this in general and it's why i wouldn't be looking to add a mathurin or sharpe or guys that might think their job is to just come in and gun.

i don't think nembhard is that type of player, and he's at the top of my list of guys i want on this team that didn't play in the world's, aside from murray. he can come in and defend at a high level, play on or off ball, and hit open shots at a decent clip. he's a perfect 8th/9th man along with NAW (with dort and powell (purely for size) ahead of them in the rotation).

i think there's still room for joseph on the last three roster spots, but if the question is joseph or nembhard then i don't understand how it's a question.

Comment

Send Cojo and the scrubbs as coaches. I dont know if there is the same limit, but if we just want a vocal leader, then use them as a coach.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i agree with this in general and it's why i wouldn't be looking to add a mathurin or sharpe or guys that might think their job is to just come in and gun.

i don't think nembhard is that type of player, and he's at the top of my list of guys i want on this team that didn't play in the world's, aside from murray. he can come in and defend at a high level, play on or off ball, and hit open shots at a decent clip. he's a perfect 8th/9th man along with NAW (with dort and powell (purely for size) ahead of them in the rotation).

i think there's still room for joseph on the last three roster spots, but if the question is joseph or nembhard then i don't understand how it's a question.
                            Do you get the argument that it's better for Canada Basketball to get guys like Mathurin and Sharpe some international experience with the mens club, even if its riding the bench, than it is to get more bench time for CoJo?

These are end of bench spots and not likely to see playing time unless its a blowout. They will get to practice with everyone, learn the system, bond with the coaches, build that chemistry with other players. That's not possible if we don't invite them.

Just send the best guys and let the coaches figure out who to play.

Comment

Do you get the argument that it's better for Canada Basketball to get guys like Mathurin and Sharpe some international experience with the mens club, even if its riding the bench, than it is to get more bench time for CoJo?

These are end of bench spots and not likely to see playing time unless its a blowout. They will get to practice with everyone, learn the system, bond with the coaches, build that chemistry with other players. That's not possible if we don't invite them.

of course i get that argument, but i also get a counter-argument that those guys might not be happy with or receptive to the role they'll be asked to play as end of bench guys.

which i think is a non-issue with nembhard, who i think would and should be part of the rotation.

Comment

This is where a select team could be utilized during training camp. Be around the main guys and coaching staff and play the senior team in a couple tube up games.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X