Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Do any of the canadian hoops junkies have an idea on the details for Olympic qualifying next summer? Also, do we expect full participation (Wiggins, stauskas, Bennett, Thompson, Joseph, Ennis)?
    The tournament is in Monterrey, Mexico next summer. The USA has an automatic entry secure for the Rio games and will not participate in Monterrey. Brazil also has a spot, being the host but will play next summer in FIBA Americas apparently.

In this pdf it says that there will be two spots for 2015 FIBA Americas teams plus the host country (Brazil) and the 2014 FIBA World Cup winner (USA):
    http://corporate.olympics.com.au/fil...Basketball.pdf

Hard to say who will be able to involved at this point. Joseph has been national team player for the last few summers and Thompson in 2013, while Wiggins, Bennett, and Ennis were participants in FIBA junior tournaments going back a few years.

The chance to play in the Olympics may motivate some to play. The NBA has helped pay the insurance for NBA participants involved in FIBA tournaments in the past but with all those lottery pick contracts of Wiggins, Stauskas, Bennett, Thompson, and Olynyk, the insurance cost will will be considerable for Basketball Canada. The financing of these things is never too clear to those not close to the inner dealings of the national team program.

Comment

• Funny fan 90210 spoof of the Wolves 2014/15 Team

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...ls-90210-spoof

Wolves Roster at 17 ... 2 cuts required .. Don't think Brady Heslip will stick but hopes he gets a Euro gig .. He is 24 years old ... Anthony Bennet another storng night last night ... Look forward to following the Wolves this season
      Last edited by guyroch; Wed Oct 22, 2014, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
        Next summer is the regional tournaments. Canada will be in the FIBA Americas. Top 2 teams (not including Brazil and US who have already qualified) qualify directly for Olympics. The next 3 teams in the Americas tournament qualify for the Olympic qualifier, which will be July, 2016. The top 3 teams (of 12 in total) from that tournament advance to the Olympics.

No idea on participation. Personally, I 'expect' that all of those guys should play, but those aren't the same as realistic expectations.

edit:
        here's their recent participation rate of the NBA/fringe guys in the last couple years:
        Participated in FIBA Americas in 2013: Joseph, Nicholson, Thompson, Heslip (Bennett and Olynk spent time with the team but did not participate because of injuries)
        Participated in FIBA U18 in 2012: Wiggins, Ennis
        Participated in exhibition tour in 2014: Bachynski, Ejim, Joseph, Nicholson, Olynk, Powell, Sacre

Stauskas is the only notable guy who hasn't played with the team in recent years (last appearance was at the U16 in 2009, but he did train with the senior men in 2012. Birch also hasn't played with the national team in a few years but did train with them in 2012.
        Getting top 2 in the FIBA Americas should be easy if all our guys play. We almost got top 2 and made the world cup with the squad where Joseph, Thompson, and Nicholson were our best players. Add just Wiggins and we got it. Add in Bennett, Stauskas, Olynyk, Birch, etc... And we should win the FIBA Americas with ease.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          Getting top 2 in the FIBA Americas should be easy if all our guys play. We almost got top 2 and made the world cup with the squad where Joseph, Thompson, and Nicholson were our best players. Add just Wiggins and we got it. Add in Bennett, Stauskas, Olynyk, Birch, etc... And we should win the FIBA Americas with ease.
          Imagaine Staukas and Heslip on the floor at the same time .. It would be raining 3's .. Triston / Nicholson Centre ... Olynyk, Birch and Bennett at PF oh yea and a guy named Wiggins as a lock down defender if required Wow ..

Olympics big thing for all NBA'ers ... Can't see Canada being any different ... Steve Nash is still best PG even at the age of 40 ...
          Last edited by guyroch; Wed Oct 22, 2014, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            Sixth place in FIBA Americas in 2013 is not close to being second.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
              Teams were so bunched up in the standings though. One more win in the second round (over Venezuela or Argentina, both of whom we lost to by 6 points or less) would have been enough to put Canada through to the playoffs, and a matchup against eventual champion Mexico, who we crushed in the round robin.

Comment

• I remember hearing during the FIBA world cup that Brazil had not been guaranteed a spot at the Olympics as of yet, has that changed?
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                  I remember hearing during the FIBA world cup that Brazil had not been guaranteed a spot at the Olympics as of yet, has that changed?
                  Hmm, seems that's technically correct:

"The FIBA Central Board may decide to grant the automatic qualification place to the Men’s and Women’s
                  teams of the Host Country. The FIBA Central Board will determine the precise criteria by the end of 2014 the
                  latest. The decision will be made by 30 June 2015."

Given Brazil is a competitive team but far from a lock to make the Olympics, I can't imagine that FIBA would risk having them miss the Olympics. (Given FIBA's history, I can't help thinking the host qualifying criteria is along the lines of 'fat wad of cash'.)
                  Last edited by octothorp; Wed Oct 22, 2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Beat me to the punch.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                      Hmm, seems that's technically correct:

"The FIBA Central Board may decide to grant the automatic qualification place to the Men’s and Women’s
                      teams of the Host Country. The FIBA Central Board will determine the precise criteria by the end of 2014 the
                      latest. The decision will be made by 30 June 2015."

Given Brazil is a competitive team but far from a lock to make the Olympics, I can't imagine that FIBA would risk having them miss the Olympics. (Given FIBA's history, I can't help thinking the host qualifying criteria is along the lines of 'fat wad of cash'.)
                      That is so werid ... I thought that was a given ie the Host gets a bid ..

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                        That is so werid ... I thought that was a given ie the Host gets a bid ..
                        Lets assume yes .. If Canada can't qualify with U.S and Brazil already in then stop with excuses and send Jay packing ... Nash maybe great in recruiting but Canada's downfall maybe his loyality to Jay ..

All I I heard while Jay was coach is his roster can't play defense it's not him ... Cassey comes in with a bit tweaks to roster and whole team played tough defense ..

Comment

I watched most of the games, and we were very close to 2nd or winning it all, but choked late in the tournament. We absolutely crushed Mexico in the round robin, and Mexico won the whole thing, so when in context we were in fact very close to being 2nd. I don't see our squad with the NBA'ers added losing to Venezuela and Dominican Republic or the like.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                            Lets assume yes .. If Canada can't qualify with U.S and Brazil already in then stop with excuses and send Jay packing ... Nash maybe great in recruiting but Canada's downfall maybe his loyality to Jay ..

All I I heard while Jay was coach is his roster can't play defense it's not him ... Cassey comes in with a bit tweaks to roster and whole team played tough defense ..
                            The biggest problem of late for Canada has been closing games. Corey Joseph has been one of the national team's best players for the past two summers but I don't feel reassured with the ball in his hands and the game on the line. It's a shame about Tyler Ennis being drafted by the Suns and being the number four point guard. He is averaging about 6 minutes a game in exhibition play. Not much chance to play and develop there.

Comment

The biggest problem of late for Canada has been closing games. Corey Joseph has been one of the national team's best players for the past two summers but I don't feel reassured with the ball in his hands and the game on the line. It's a shame about Tyler Ennis being drafted by the Suns and being the number four point guard. He is averaging about 6 minutes a game in exhibition play. Not much chance to play and develop there.
                              Luckily phoenix is planning on playing 2 pgs most of the game. Hell they may experiment with 3 @ once Hornacek is an outside the box kind of coach. Ennis will get his chance by next season. For now hes probably backup pg for canada but 2020 is our year to really try and upset Spain and usa for gold anyways.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• awesome result for the ladies!
                                St Lous Dental Assistant School

Comment

Working...
                                X