Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

What are the odds Pascal signs a regular max this offseason?

If he won't, his max deal is 10% more next offseason even without a supermax.

If he signs this offseason then I'm OK with it, because we retained him in a way we can deal him if needed. He can be dealt at the deadline and he'll have more value than now due to having multiple years.

If he won't, deal him. This loyalty thing is supposed to be a 2 way street. No one could say we did him dirty by giving him back to back max deals. It would just be pure greed on his part, and greed that hurts the team financially.
    There is some similarities to Jalen Brown in Boston with Pascal. Most Celtics fans would be ok with him at the regular max. The super max starts to get to be too much.
    There's a lot of forwards that won't make all NBA due to games played. Historically guys like Kawhi, Lebron, Paul George, Durant, Zion, could all make All NBA over Pascal but might not due injuries and load management.
    Hoping your best player doesn't have an all NBA season feels really weird but I don't think anyone wants Siakam at the super max

Comment

What are the odds Pascal signs a regular max this offseason?

If he won't, his max deal is 10% more next offseason even without a supermax.

If he signs this offseason then I'm OK with it, because we retained him in a way we can deal him if needed. He can be dealt at the deadline and he'll have more value than now due to having multiple years.

If he won't, deal him. This loyalty thing is supposed to be a 2 way street. No one could say we did him dirty by giving him back to back max deals. It would just be pure greed on his part, and greed that hurts the team financially.
      Annual raises are 8%. So his annual salary would increase by 2% more if we signed him in cap levels a year apart. But even that’s irrelevant because when you sign a max extension, you just sign for 30% of the cap - and the cap you get 30% of is the cap the year the actual extension kicks in (next summer’s cap), meaning there is literally zero difference.

Players always want money. That does not make them greedy, it makes them employees, which is exactly what they are.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Annual raises are 8%. So his annual salary would increase by 2% more if we signed him in cap levels a year apart. But even that’s irrelevant because when you sign a max extension, you just sign for 30% of the cap - and the cap you get 30% of is the cap the year the actual extension kicks in (next summer’s cap), meaning there is literally zero difference.

Players always want money. That does not make them greedy, it makes them employees, which is exactly what they are.
        OK I don't really care about the money part. It's the not being able to trade Pascal for 2 more seasons part. That part really really sucks and why I'd deal him if he insists on waiting until next offseason. You know he won't be playing team ball, he will just want the stats to get all nba.

Comment

He is already making millions,
          What are u talking about.
          That is greed. Period.
          Many players take less to make room for other players,
          we have seen that over and over in other sports too.

This is plain greed. Period.
          Pascal is this year's Fred.
          Unfortunate it happens every fvcking year.

It is getting increasingly infuriating to be a fan of this team.

Comment

OK I don't really care about the money part. It's the not being able to trade Pascal for 2 more seasons part. That part really really sucks and why I'd deal him if he insists on waiting until next offseason. You know he won't be playing team ball, he will just want the stats to get all nba.
            If he plays like this year, when he had just as much reason to gun for all-NBA, I will have no complaints.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

He is already making millions,
              What are u talking about.
              That is greed. Period.
              Many players take less to make room for other players,
              we have seen that over and over in other sports too.

This is plain greed. Period.
              Pascal is this year's Fred.
              Unfortunate it happens every fvcking year.

It is getting increasingly infuriating to be a fan of this team.
              OK, name me some players who took less to make room for other players. I bet you can't come up with more than a half dozen examples from the last few decades, out of literally thousands of free agent signings. NBA examples please.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• still cant believe we’re talking about a possible super max for a guy so anti clutch. Trade him while we can. Quite possibly nothing for fred even poeltl might walk and now pascal. Wtf is wrong with some ppl? Bosh and TMac say hi

Comment

OK, name me some players who took less to make room for other players. I bet you can't come up with more than a half dozen examples from the last few decades, out of literally thousands of free agent signings. NBA examples please.
                  James Harden very recently.

And I mean any player that say they are not being greedy for handcuffing their team's flexibility is fooling you Dan.
                  You should know better than that.
                  Can't believe we're even arguing over this, smh.

Comment

James Harden very recently.

And I mean any player that say they are not being greedy for handcuffing their team's flexibility is fooling you Dan.
                    You should know better than that.
                    Can't believe we're even arguing over this, smh.
                    Harden traded his 47M single season for two seasons of security at nearly 70M total. This happens sometimes. This is the exact discussion we are having around Fred - will he take the 2/83M offer or look for more seasons of security at a lower per year salary for a higher total guarantee.

Harden wasn't going to drop his 47M to sign for 35M for one season. Similarly, almost no NBA player will sign for less money at the same term - less money usually is a negotiation point to get more control for the player (shorter term, player options, etc),
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Harden traded his 47M single season for two seasons of security at nearly 70M total. This happens sometimes. This is the exact discussion we are having around Fred - will he take the 2/83M offer or look for more seasons of security at a lower per year salary for a higher total guarantee.

Harden wasn't going to drop his 47M to sign for 35M for one season. Similarly, almost no NBA player will sign for less money at the same term - less money usually is a negotiation point to get more control for the player (shorter term, player options, etc),
                      Security?
                      He chose to go to Philly.

Harden can go anywhere he wants. He is a superstar.

James Harden will take $15 million pay cut next season, return to 76ers on new 2-year deal: Sources

Harden opted out of his $47.4 million player option last week in order to return to the franchise on a new deal that gives the team financial flexibility to bolster the roster, with the sole focus on a championship run in 2023.

https://theathletic.com/4169324/2022...-deal-sources/
                      Last edited by Kagemusha; Wed Jun 28, 2023, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Security?
                        He chose to go to Philly.

Harden can go anywhere he wants. He is a superstar.

James Harden will take $15 million pay cut next season, return to 76ers on new 2-year deal: Sources

Harden opted out of his $47.4 million player option last week in order to return to the franchise on a new deal that gives the team financial flexibility to bolster the roster, with the sole focus on a championship run in 2023.

https://theathletic.com/4169324/2022...-deal-sources/
                        Yes, that is the way his agent spun it but if that were true he'd have signed the one year deal version of it. He didn't because as much as his PR team can easily fool some people into buying that story, he was trading AAV for security in case he struggled. Now he's leveraging his success this year into another long term deal.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Yes, that is the way his agent spun it but if that were true he'd have signed the one year deal version of it. He didn't because as much as his PR team can easily fool some people into buying that story, he was trading AAV for security in case he struggled. Now he's leveraging his success this year into another long term deal.
                          lol.. in case he struggled?
                          Dan, I thought you are a numbers guy that can always back up your assertions.
                          This one is fresh. lol

Comment

lol.. in case he struggled?
                            Dan, I thought you are a numbers guy that can always back up your assertions.
                            This one is fresh. lol
                            This one isn't particularly fresh, considering plenty of smart people made the same observation back when it happened.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I always think of lebron, Bosh and Wade as an example of three guys taking less than market value in order to super-team it up. Oddly enough, it was Wade that took slightly less.

Comment

• G____Deane wrote: View Post

I always think of lebron, Bosh and Wade as an example of three guys taking less than market value in order to super-team it up. Oddly enough, it was Wade that took slightly less.
                                Yeah, that was the one example I could think of. That and Dirk after the Dallas chip run, but he was on the downside by then (and boy it bit him in the ass and probably taught guys not to repeat that mistake).

It's exceedingly rare.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X