Everything Gary Trent Jr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    I would speculate Gary, Fred and OG who will be creating shots for themselves less and be in the role of finishers more.
    I mean, sure, but is there any reason to speculate that will happen that wasn't already a reason heading into last season?
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I mean, sure, but is there any reason to speculate that will happen that wasn't already a reason heading into last season?
      Absolutely, the Raps didn't go into last season having Barnes and Siakam initiate the offense, it was a "free-for-all" for a good portion of the season.

Last year was very much a mixed bag of development, learning a new system, finding who was playable and who wasn't, and figuring out a rotation that worked. Sprinkle in significant missed time due to injury and it was much more of an experimental season.

The offense should normalize a "bit" this season with guys settling into roles of creators, shooters, finishers etc. I don't expect the freedom for any of the five players on the floor to create will be exercised as much as last year.

Comment

Dan, if you were to trade either Trent Jr or OG what would be your expectation of return. Do you like Wendel Carter Jr or Myles Turner better? If you had a choice of Chris Duarte or Cole Anthony as a possible trade prospect, which would you prefer?

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post

Dan, if you were to trade either Trent Jr or OG what would be your expectation of return. Do you like Wendel Carter Jr or Myles Turner better? If you had a choice of Chris Duarte or Cole Anthony as a possible trade prospect, which would you prefer?
          OG for Myle turner.. LOL hell no.

They have been trying to trade turner for a minute so OG is no. GTJ is fair but we talked about that before Dan included.

Wendel doesn't answer any question we have but he is good but we already have kind of answered the center rotation for now... Turner is a very clear cut upgrade and fits but again I don't think we need.

Are you limited to just those choices or why not expand it out a bit?

I can give you some trade targets for GTJ....

OG isn't going any where for at least a year a minimum unless its for a superstar.

Comment

Absolutely, the Raps didn't go into last season having Barnes and Siakam initiate the offense, it was a "free-for-all" for a good portion of the season.

Last year was very much a mixed bag of development, learning a new system, finding who was playable and who wasn't, and figuring out a rotation that worked. Sprinkle in significant missed time due to injury and it was much more of an experimental season.

The offense should normalize a "bit" this season with guys settling into roles of creators, shooters, finishers etc. I don't expect the freedom for any of the five players on the floor to create will be exercised as much as last year.
            they didn't but over the course of last year it became that and nurse has discussed having the ball in there hands more in his end of game presser

Comment

The Raptors only went into last season with Pascal not initiating because he wasn't playing. When Pascal was healthy he should always have been the initiator, the role he had been developing into more and more over the two previous seasons. And yet when playing with that lineup, he rarely got to play that role, which he got to play basically exclusively in other lineups.

Even as the season went along, as Pascal increased his primary scorer role, usage, and scoring, his increases within that lineup were less pronounced. 16.9 PP36 all year, after Feb 1 it was down to 15.3! After March 1st they only had like 3 games together but in that tiny sample he was down to 13 PP36 with that lineup! It was getting worse, not better.

I have very little hope re: that lineup being more functional offensively this year than last, in terms of scoring and role distribution. So I'm mostly hoping we just see a heck of a lot less of it.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post

WCJ is amazing and I can't imagine the Magic trading him. I would not trade either of Trent or OG for either of those prospects. Trent for WCJ would be great, but that's not happening, never mind with an extra prospect coming back. OG I would not trade unless I'm getting a star back, and honestly I doubt they trade Gary barring a star return either.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

WCJ is amazing and I can't imagine the Magic trading him. I would not trade either of Trent or OG for either of those prospects. Trent for WCJ would be great, but that's not happening, never mind with an extra prospect coming back. OG I would not trade unless I'm getting a star back, and honestly I doubt they trade Gary barring a star return either.
                  i've brought up bogdan a few times would you be interested?

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

i've brought up bogdan a few times would you be interested?
                    I don't see the point. Why not just keep Gary?
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

he might actually opt in to his last year? or we'd be able to retain him long term for cheaper?

other than that i got nothing. he's 7 years older, they have the same contract, and he's not a better player

Comment

because in my opinion boggy is a similar player, more refined with his professional experience, plays better defence by the metrics, and is a much better play maker.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

he might actually opt in to his last year? or we'd be able to retain him long term for cheaper?

other than that i got nothing. he's 7 years older, they have the same contract, and he's not a better player
                          mainly the cheaper long term. his current contract is a tiny bit more than gary's but it is with in 2 million if I am not mistaken or at least it was last year.

gary is younger but he is currently the better player overall on both ends of the ball

https://craftednba.com/players/bogdan-bogdanovic

https://craftednba.com/players/gary-trent-jr.

Better true shooting percentage. Taller, bigger wingspan. Is better at creating for his team mates. creates turn overs at a similar rate. Better rebounder if that is important.

Gary is younger yes so I give him that so there is a hypothetical potential to reach but Boggy is a better player right now.

Comment

• I don't think they should be spending cap or rotation minutes on a vet like Bogdanovic. Pieces outside the core should be either cheap and short term, or proven to be viable in our system, ideally both. Otherwise anyone getting paid and minutes should be pieces we can envision as outgoing in an upgrade trade. Gary fits that to a tee - if you are going to pay one of him or Bogdanovic past this season, I'd rather pay Gary a significant chunk than hold onto Bogdanovic for something like the MLE. Now, if Gary is getting the max that's not great, but I think maybe I'd prefer he just walk and then you try to grab a guy like Bogdanovic with the actual MLE.

A trade of Gary should be a change in timeline - either a consolidation move, or a trade for a young prospect type, not swapping him out for a mediocre role player.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I don't think they should be spending cap or rotation minutes on a vet like Bogdanovic. Pieces outside the core should be either cheap and short term, or proven to be viable in our system, ideally both. Otherwise anyone getting paid and minutes should be pieces we can envision as outgoing in an upgrade trade. Gary fits that to a tee - if you are going to pay one of him or Bogdanovic past this season, I'd rather pay Gary a significant chunk than hold onto Bogdanovic for something like the MLE. Now, if Gary is getting the max that's not great, but I think maybe I'd prefer he just walk and then you try to grab a guy like Bogdanovic with the actual MLE.

A trade of Gary should be a change in timeline - either a consolidation move, or a trade for a young prospect type, not swapping him out for a mediocre role player.
                              well the idea of getting boggy for me would include getting second rounders or protected firsts back.

I do agree with the notion of consolidation... wihch is why I am sitll lukewarm on Turner becuase I think he would fit this team although I would want to also include something like Birch in the deal outgoing and figure out some sort of salary back.

I personally see Gary as a role player but it comes down to me really valuing boggy's positional defence more and I value playmaking ALOT but I agree on the consolidation as I said . in terms of a young prospect well I think if you got a pick back that could be it but I also agree that you ideally want someone more .... "proven"
                              Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Wed Aug 24, 2022, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

OG for Myle turner.. LOL hell no.

They have been trying to trade turner for a minute so OG is no. GTJ is fair but we talked about that before Dan included.

Wendel doesn't answer any question we have but he is good but we already have kind of answered the center rotation for now... Turner is a very clear cut upgrade and fits but again I don't think we need.

Are you limited to just those choices or why not expand it out a bit?

I can give you some trade targets for GTJ....

OG isn't going any where for at least a year a minimum unless its for a superstar.
                                O is a athlete not a basketball player dont know why u guys love him so watch. slow plotting ugly ackward foot steps. basketball iq of a moron.kid can’t even string together more than 5 word sentences. i will never get the cock stroking for this guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X