Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    Dan Tolzman

Well, they're looking for a rotation guy and not a long term project, confirmed.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
      i could tell you how to scout every single position on the court. but it’s coming from me so… i read comments and i see we should draft a back up point.? you never draft a back up you draft guys that can take over that position. banton is our future starting point. give the kid a chance to develop.
      why not have scottie run it first and have banton back him up

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

From all the Reports the Raptors did love Scottie but it was never 50/50 with Suggs.

There was one report that got leaked that the Raptors brought Josh Giddey for a private workout that was not advertised and from everything we know now about the types of players they are seeking, he would have probably been the guy they were going to select if Scottie had already been chosen ( and Mobley was of course off the board)
        yup they wanted Scottie

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

So does your friend only get credit for guessing the pick if it's Laravia, or does he get credit if it's any of the 10 guys listed?

If you get 10 guesses it's not too hard to get the pick right each year.
          If LaRavia is available and they don't take him, I'm not giving him credit. I'll finally be able to trash talk him. Too many times I've told him how dumb his predictions are and had to apologize. I told him Banton would be a first rounder if he went back to school, but might not get drafted. I told him that the Raps were more likely to draft a mobile big instead of Malachi... I wouldn't mind if he was wrong.

I never got the Malachi draft. It was obviously them drafting the best player available, but he was always a square peg for a round hole. He is heavily dependent on PnR and the Raps don't really play those kind of sets. That's what we're seeing now. There needs to be a bit of foresight in how a team picks. Style of play does matter a bit. Maybe position of need doesn't matter, but style of play does (IMO). Also, I don't think Malachi is as physical as Fred and Kyle are. I think he's an NBA player, but his successes are all at the end of seasons when teams are either winding down, or resting players for the playoffs.

It makes a ton of sense that the majority of the players the Raps have seen are wings. Right now the wing position is the most important in the game. They generally need less time to develop than Centers. There's not a long list of point guards in this draft. You can always find free agent point guards if you're seeking a backup and you have a strong scouting staff. The Raps are still developing Banton as well. The Raps would have a better feel of whose available in FA at center as well. If they think more wings in this draft would fit in their system than centers, or PGs, then that's how they see how the draft will go.

I'm just seeing some of these comments, so I might be missing some. I think someone asked if these were players that the Raps have seen. I think it came out this week that the Raps had LaRavia in recently.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post

If LaRavia is available and they don't take him, I'm not giving him credit. I'll finally be able to trash talk him. Too many times I've told him how dumb his predictions are and had to apologize. I told him Banton would be a first rounder if he went back to school, but might not get drafted. I told him that the Raps were more likely to draft a mobile big instead of Malachi... I wouldn't mind if he was wrong.

I never got the Malachi draft. It was obviously them drafting the best player available, but he was always a square peg for a round hole. He is heavily dependent on PnR and the Raps don't really play those kind of sets. That's what we're seeing now. There needs to be a bit of foresight in how a team picks. Style of play does matter a bit. Maybe position of need doesn't matter, but style of play does (IMO). Also, I don't think Malachi is as physical as Fred and Kyle are. I think he's an NBA player, but his successes are all at the end of seasons when teams are either winding down, or resting players for the playoffs.

It makes a ton of sense that the majority of the players the Raps have seen are wings. Right now the wing position is the most important in the game. They generally need less time to develop than Centers. There's not a long list of point guards in this draft. You can always find free agent point guards if you're seeking a backup and you have a strong scouting staff. The Raps are still developing Banton as well. The Raps would have a better feel of whose available in FA at center as well. If they think more wings in this draft would fit in their system than centers, or PGs, then that's how they see how the draft will go.

I'm just seeing some of these comments, so I might be missing some. I think someone asked if these were players that the Raps have seen. I think it came out this week that the Raps had LaRavia in recently.
            Raptors drafted Malachi because they thought were getting Red VanVleet. Fred was the successor to Lowry and Malachi would be the successor to Fred.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Unless you're drafting in the top 5-10, most often you are drafting a guy that will back up the starter before they take over the position. So they are a back up at some point.

Banton got a tonne of minutes early in the season, but Nurse eventually lost confidence in him and even bumped Flynn ahead of him in the pecking order. Doesn't mean Banton isn't a part of the future for this team, but Raps might be looking at him like he's a long term project.

Raps have been bringing in a lot of wings in for workouts so that is my guess on how they will draft.
              Flynn didn't really play either, they both were out of the rotation. Fred was playing 40 minutes a night and Pascal and Scottie were running point when he was on the bench, or out with an injury.

I think Banton takes a big step this year. The draft takes we're he'd be a potential lotto pick this year had he stayed in school and developed a bit more. We knew he needed more time and have him that in both pro level and G League where he was amazing. If his shot has improved he's our bench PG backing up Scottie (hopefully).

Comment

Flynn didn't really play either, they both were out of the rotation. Fred was playing 40 minutes a night and Pascal and Scottie were running point when he was on the bench, or out with an injury.

I think Banton takes a big step this year. The draft takes we're he'd be a potential lotto pick this year had he stayed in school and developed a bit more. We knew he needed more time and have him that in both pro level and G League where he was amazing. If his shot has improved he's our bench PG backing up Scottie (hopefully).
                this is what I'm hoping... i think he has the tools to take a big big big step this year forward into solidifying his spot in the rotation. I see him averaging 5-10 more minutes per game than last year more consistently.

Comment

• We worked out Ismail Kamagate and have gone to see him multiple times in France where he plays in the LNB Pro A league.

He's been a pro for 4 years and played 27 mpg so he's got a lot of experience and can contribute right away.

6'11 shot blocking center who is very mobile and good at rolling to the basket. Not a back you down in the post type.

Projected late 1st to early 2nd so good chance he's available at our pick.

Doesn't shoot 3s yet but is a pretty good FT shooter at 70% for his pro career, and he's very efficient with his offense with 11.3 ppg on 64.3% FG.

This is the high upside developmental C that we could snag with our pick to backup Precious and potentially become the starter down the line.

Comment

Yeah, Banton's shot is really his make-or-break development area. He was a revelation early on, but as soon as the scouting report got around, teams immediately switched to zone when he entered the game. By the end of the year, the confidence in his shot was gone and he was bricking everything.... badly. His shot looked 10 times worse than the beginning of the season.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Raptors drafted Malachi because they thought were getting Red VanVleet. Fred was the successor to Lowry and Malachi would be the successor to Fred.

I think the "He's got a little bit of a different game," part of the quote is the most important. But I see what you're saying. Both came from mid-major programs, and have a similar swagger. Not sure that's a legit reason to draft someone. His style of play didn't fit what the Raps were doing when they drafted him. A season later, they changed philosophies and want everyone tall with big wingspans. He never really had a chance to succeed, did he?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, Banton's shot is really his make-or-break development area. He was a revelation early on, but as soon as the scouting report got around, teams immediately switched to zone when he entered the game. By the end of the year, the confidence in his shot was gone and he was bricking everything.... badly. His shot looked 10 times worse than the beginning of the season.
                        He's shot 39.3% from 3pt on 4 attempts per game in G League. So he's definite got a good shot. I think it was just mental in the pros and he wasn't ready yet. I think he will be this season.

Just because it's so impressive here are his G League stats.

24.1 pts, 8.9 reb, 5.9 ast, 1.4 stl, 51.1% FG, 39.3% 3pt

He sucks at FT though. 54.5%

Comment

this is what I'm hoping... i think he has the tools to take a big big big step this year forward into solidifying his spot in the rotation. I see him averaging 5-10 more minutes per game than last year more consistently.
                          My fear is Banton's defense
                          I hope he devotes more time on it this offseason

Comment

Yeah Nurse wasn't big on using Flynn either, but it went from a lot of Banton to only Flynn when there were some minutes to go around. Banton making a leap will be huge for this team and agree a lot of it is tied to his shot.

Comment

why not have scottie run it first and have banton back him up
                              why can’t they play together ? i want scottie at point since day 1. so i am good either way.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

why can’t they play together ? i want scottie at point since day 1. so i am good either way.
                                so you want dalano to be in the starting line up next year?

Respectfully to him .. he isn't ready and we will lose games. I would rather grow his skill set slowly if he makes serious leaps then sure but he needs to make big leaps before we just force feed him starting minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X