Everything 2022 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post

Yeah, I think if they can find a big wing they have to go for it. But I like Nembhard as a guy they could get later in the second, who they can just plug and play. He would be the tallest PG on the Raps, depending on what you consider Scottie or Banton, but he is small. I also hope they look at someone like Isaiah Mobley if he goes undrafted.

I'm really looking at plug and play, older rookies. I'm just not seeing a lot of potential stars in the draft. If the Raps were able to deepen their bench and maybe grab one wing with potential (from the draft, trade, FA or whatever) I would consider the offseason a success.
    Other than Nembhard being Canadian there is zero reason he should be our target. He's a tall but slow PG that will struggle at NBA level.

Comment

• they are going to draft leonard miller if he is on the board. i watched i thought this is a MU bobby webster guy.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
        they are going to draft leonard miller if he is on the board. i watched i thought this is a MU bobby webster guy.
        I like this kid.
        He's got a little bit of SGA in his game

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
          they are going to draft leonard miller if he is on the board. i watched i thought this is a MU bobby webster guy.
          Miller could be Pascal.... he could also be Bruno. He's at least 3 years away. So, yep... that is definitely a Masai/Bobby pick. OKC is going after the same type of guys, so they will probably draft him at #30.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Miller could be Pascal.... he could also be Bruno. He's at least 3 years away. So, yep... that is definitely a Masai/Bobby pick. OKC is going after the same type of guys, so they will probably draft him at #30.
            The actual Bruno type pick in this draft is a kid named Kao Akobundu-Ehiogu. He's a 6'10 forward from Nigeria with a 7'6 wingspan and has a 43" vertical apparently.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Other than Nembhard being Canadian there is zero reason he should be our target. He's a tall but slow PG that will struggle at NBA level.
              To be honest from the scrimmage video he looked really short like Trae Young short, but you're the second person I saw on the forum mentioning he's tall so I checked and he's listed at 6-4 which is great for a pg. Might be a good get.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I have to disagree with you. To be clear, I'm not as bullish as the article on the main website that thinks the Raps should draft him at 33. That's WAY too high an evaluation. That said, because of his affiliation with Team Canada Nembhart has been working out with and playing against NBA players and foreign pros since he was around 17. That's the only advantage he has being a Canadian in my book. It also, means there's a ton of video on him. He's always been able to compensate his lack of speed with BBIQ. I think he's better than Malachi (I've never been a fan of Malachi). He is what he is, he's not going to become a star, but a cheap backup guard if the Raps can buy a late second rounder makes a lot of sense to me.

I think there's a reason why the raps moved out of the first round. This isn't a good draft. If you can find a person who can play real NBA minutes at the back of the second round, you don't say no because the person has zero chance of becoming a star. The Raps bench could use a high IQ guard who could play some minutes. Yes, they would need to hide him on defense, but look at the current options, and look at the likely free agent options. A lot of the guards people are hyped on may have more potential than him, but they're not as good as Nembhart is right now. Again, I'm talking about buying a late second rounder here. Not drafting him at 33, or moving up to get him. I'm not hyped on him, but there's way more than zero reasons to consider pursuing him.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Significant might be a stretch, but I can't imagine they go another season running Fred into the ground. There's hope that Flynn is ready to step up in what might be a make or break season for him with the Raps, but Nurse didn't show a lot of confidence in him or Banton in the last 3 quarters of the season. And Raps have been interviewing guards I think exclusively so I think they want a player that can contribute a few guard minutes.
                  They could have played Flynn more and Fred less last season, Nurse just didn't want to. But 1. you forget Banton and Scottie, and 2. it's a lot more likely we bolster the roster with veterans than hoping a 2nd round rookie can force Fred to the bench for some rest.

I think you're right that they like guys that "can play" as a principle. But they also like insane length as a principle so...they could go either way here.

Comment

• Thybulle mentioned it in a podcast last year, where he said, he didn't work out for anyone but the Sixers.

He knew they were going to take them and he gave up a little money (not being drafted earlier) to be drafted into a good position with the thought that in doing so he would get more contracts in the future.

I wonder if the Raptors track record have made guys like Champagnie, and potentially a guy like Nembhard forgo working out for teams that would draft them late in the second round with the knowledge of an undrafted guaranteed contract, and the hope of blossoming in a good system. (Obviously this theory could work for many other players as well)

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

The actual Bruno type pick in this draft is a kid named Kao Akobundu-Ehiogu. He's a 6'10 forward from Nigeria with a 7'6 wingspan and has a 43" vertical apparently.
                      I'm not sure about that. Kao looks like a one-dimensional C.... basically a more athletic Clint Capela. But even back then... Masai passed on Capela to pick Bruno, who fits the 6'9", skilled, position-less mantra. Kao is an insane athlete and physical specimen, for sure.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I'm not sure about that. Kao looks like a one-dimensional C.... basically a more athletic Clint Capela. But even back then... Masai passed on Capela to pick Bruno, who fits the 6'9", skilled, position-less mantra. Kao is an insane athlete and physical specimen, for sure.
                        He looks like a next-gen Stromile Swift out there

Not a very friendly comparison, but the Stro-show might have been better as a high-octane modern-5 than as an low-skill power forward as he was used back then.

This guy can really run though. He looks 6'9 (hey now) but with centre ability/length. Management likes exactly that kind of guy because they can move - laterally and up and down the court - see Birch when he's not injured, despite not ever being this level of athlete.

He's just waiting up there in the air for some of those lobs. Yowza.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Jeepers

Is this guy even in mocks?

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                            Thybulle mentioned it in a podcast last year, where he said, he didn't work out for anyone but the Sixers.

He knew they were going to take them and he gave up a little money (not being drafted earlier) to be drafted into a good position with the thought that in doing so he would get more contracts in the future.

I wonder if the Raptors track record have made guys like Champagnie, and potentially a guy like Nembhard forgo working out for teams that would draft them late in the second round with the knowledge of an undrafted guaranteed contract, and the hope of blossoming in a good system. (Obviously this theory could work for many other players as well)
                            Being a hot spot for undrafted prospects would still be an advantage for the Raps if it were a real thing.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Jeepers

Is this guy even in mocks?
                              How is this guy not in the mix? Seems like a Masai pick

Nigerian Connection
                              Long
                              Athletic
                              Can jump out of the gym
                              Wingspan

Let me guess he can't shoot either.

So should I start the everything Kao Akobundu-Ehiogu or should one of the moderators

Comment

• PERSONAL
                                Born on Oct. 7, 1999 … son of Chiderah Akobundu and Solomon Ehiogu … his name means “patience” … was born in Nigeria and lived there until he was 13 … moved to the United States on Oct. 11, 2012 … grew up playing soccer and track; had not touched or even seen a basketball until he moved to the U.S. … kicked a basketball the first time he held one … his cousin introduced him to basketball and started training him … grew from 5-foot-4 when he arrived in the U.S. at age 13 to 6-foot-6 as a senior at age 18 … grew three more inches to his current 6-foot-9 between 2018-20 … has a visual/photographic memory.

High IQ
                                Late bloomer
                                Soccer footwork

Yep this will be our undrafted player this year

Comment

Working...
                                X