Everything 2024 Off-season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post
    If the Pels don’t bring back JV… they’re going to need a new C, right? Also apparently they wan’t to trade Ingram…

if we get the 1st pick, Sarr, could we trade them Poeltl for Ingram?

Sarr
    Barnes
    Barrett
    Ingram
    Quickley

whowww
    I don't think Jak will be the type of big that they will want to replace JV with.

As for Ingram. I don't like that he's hurt a lot. Plus he's a UFA after next season and likely looking for a max. That's the same year Scottie gets his max. I think it ends up being too much cash. We're not quite ready to make all in moves like that.

I'd be fine trading Jak though. But if we do I'd want to get younger pieces/picks back for him and tank again next season. Another solid top 6 pick next season would really elevate this group. I don't think we'll be doing that but that's how I'd approach this off season.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I don't think Jak will be the type of big that they will want to replace JV with.

As for Ingram. I don't like that he's hurt a lot. Plus he's a UFA after next season and likely looking for a max. That's the same year Scottie gets his max. I think it ends up being too much cash. We're not quite ready to make all in moves like that.

I'd be fine trading Jak though. But if we do I'd want to get younger pieces/picks back for him and tank again next season. Another solid top 6 pick next season would really elevate this group. I don't think we'll be doing that but that's how I'd approach this off season.
      Seems unlikely this team will pursue a tank next season unless they are unhealthy. With Scottie going into his 4th season, Quickley likely on a new contract, and Barrett hopefully continuing to play like he has for this team so far...I only see them gunning for wins. Even if Yak were traded for primarily futures, I think they are still gonna try and make the playoffs. And if this team next season has a talent deficit that results in a bottom 10 finish, for example, then...yikes...might be better off blowing the whole damn thing up (including Scottie) and try a proper rebuild.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

Seems unlikely this team will pursue a tank next season unless they are unhealthy. With Scottie going into his 4th season, Quickley likely on a new contract, and Barrett hopefully continuing to play like he has for this team so far...I only see them gunning for wins. Even if Yak were traded for primarily futures, I think they are still gonna try and make the playoffs. And if this team next season has a talent deficit that results in a bottom 10 finish, for example, then...yikes...might be better off blowing the whole damn thing up (including Scottie) and try a proper rebuild.
        Yeah I think they try to win as much as they can too. And it's another reason why I want the pick this year to land in the top 6.. so we can give the Spurs a more mediocre pick next season.

But even if healthy and some better talent surrounding their current core, I think their peak next year is play-in. I think the teams 1-8 in the East will still be really good unless one of those teams runs into injury issues of their own.

Trading Jak for futures is a simple move to secure a tank IMO. But I agree that they won't do that.

If we want to go by OKC's timeline... OKC made the playoffs with Shai and Paul (aka our 48 win season). The following year they had 22 wins and landed Giddey in the draft (that's on par with our team getting Dick by missing the play-in last year). The following season they had 24 wins and got the #2 pick (Chet) - this may be us this season (pray to the lottery gods). Then they had 40 wins, lost in the playin and got Wallace that will likely be us next season. Then they got the #1 seed and rolled into the 2nd round. Of course they also got Williams via the Clippers/George trade. So that helped them a lot. But IQ/RJ for OG is pretty similar there. And we have the Pacers pick at #19 to boost us up a bit potentially.

I think that's the time line I'd like to pursue, but to try and keep the pick next season even if it doesn't convey this season (although that's up to the lottery gods again).

I'm not insinuating that Scottie is Shai but it's all we have at this point. But one more tank season will help us a lot IMO. I just don't see them going for it like you said.. and again if we keep our pick this year it's fine to go for it. But if we don't keep that pick, I really want us to be terrible next year to help elevate this team.

Comment

If the Pels don’t bring back JV… they’re going to need a new C, right? Also apparently they wan’t to trade Ingram…

if we get the 1st pick, Sarr, could we trade them Poeltl for Ingram?

Sarr
          Barnes
          Barrett
          Ingram
          Quickley

whowww
          They want a floor spacing center. So not Poeltl.

Comment

Yeah I think they try to win as much as they can too. And it's another reason why I want the pick this year to land in the top 6.. so we can give the Spurs a more mediocre pick next season.

But even if healthy and some better talent surrounding their current core, I think their peak next year is play-in. I think the teams 1-8 in the East will still be really good unless one of those teams runs into injury issues of their own.

Trading Jak for futures is a simple move to secure a tank IMO. But I agree that they won't do that.

If we want to go by OKC's timeline... OKC made the playoffs with Shai and Paul (aka our 48 win season). The following year they had 22 wins and landed Giddey in the draft (that's on par with our team getting Dick by missing the play-in last year). The following season they had 24 wins and got the #2 pick (Chet) - this may be us this season (pray to the lottery gods). Then they had 40 wins, lost in the playin and got Wallace that will likely be us next season. Then they got the #1 seed and rolled into the 2nd round. Of course they also got Williams via the Clippers/George trade. So that helped them a lot. But IQ/RJ for OG is pretty similar there. And we have the Pacers pick at #19 to boost us up a bit potentially.

I think that's the time line I'd like to pursue, but to try and keep the pick next season even if it doesn't convey this season (although that's up to the lottery gods again).

I'm not insinuating that Scottie is Shai but it's all we have at this point. But one more tank season will help us a lot IMO. I just don't see them going for it like you said.. and again if we keep our pick this year it's fine to go for it. But if we don't keep that pick, I really want us to be terrible next year to help elevate this team.
            Our roster has way too much talent to be that bad. We'd have to play a G League squad like we did towards the end of this season due to injuries. If our team is healthy we're gonna be playing 500 ball. OKC was legitimately dogshit with almost no talent and what talent they had was young and still developing. Scottie, IQ, RJ are all way past that. Moving Jak for futures wouldn't be nearly enough to make us that shitty.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Our roster has way too much talent to be that bad. We'd have to play a G League squad like we did towards the end of this season due to injuries. If our team is healthy we're gonna be playing 500 ball. OKC was legitimately dogshit with almost no talent and what talent they had was young and still developing. Scottie, IQ, RJ are all way past that. Moving Jak for futures wouldn't be nearly enough to make us that shitty.
              I disagree. We were like 2-19 without Jak last year and that was with Scottie for a lot of those games. Kelly is not a difference maker at that position. We lost a lot of games because our defense was sh!t and Jak is our best defensive player. You remove him and replace him with rookies we will be bad again.

I think Memphis and San Antonio should naturally be better too. So that's two teams out of the worst 7 this year that should get better too. I think there is a path to get to the bottom 6 again without Jak. But with Jak I think they are a play-in team at best.

Comment

I disagree. We were like 2-19 without Jak last year and that was with Scottie for a lot of those games. Kelly is not a difference maker at that position. We lost a lot of games because our defense was sh!t and Jak is our best defensive player. You remove him and replace him with rookies we will be bad again.

I think Memphis and San Antonio should naturally be better too. So that's two teams out of the worst 7 this year that should get better too. I think there is a path to get to the bottom 6 again without Jak. But with Jak I think they are a play-in team at best.
                How people still can't see how much value Jak brought to the club on the court is beyond me.

For the season, Jak was only a -17, while Scottie, RJ and IQ were like -150. He also had the second highest PER and WS on the team, behind only Scottie.

Comment

• Also, do people forget how injured we were to close out the season? We were right in the play-in mix with one of the most tumultuous seasons to that point, ever, in terms of upheaval and new voices etc. This club, healthy, and with another year under their belt, and a training camp, I think could surprise alot of people.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

How people still can't see how much value Jak brought to the club on the court is beyond me.

For the season, Jak was only a -17, while Scottie, RJ and IQ were like -150. He also had the second highest PER and WS on the team, behind only Scottie.
                    What would be your priority for the Raptors this offseason?

Comment

I understand Yak's value, but I don't think moving him is enough to feel confidant that we will bottom out. And I have no issues trading him. Put an intriguing prospect on the table and a 1st rounder and I'd likely take it. But that prospect has to be more intriguing than Nwora, for example. Not sure that type of deal would ever materialize. I want Scottie playing for wins this year. I want to retain 24' pick, and convey the 25' pick. Now, if we convey the 24' pick, and the team doesn't impress this season, then maybe I'll revisit this and jump on board with bottoming out for 25'. But that would be concerning for me, and I'd likely be open at that point (depending on the whatever deficiencies the team had), to blowing it up entirely. Max Scottie and entertain offers for him if any teams came looking. Proper tank job.

Comment

What would be your priority for the Raptors this offseason?
                        Willing and scrappy defenders, and Quality vets. I guess a quality backup PG that can help IQ learn the ropes, properly.
                        The paramount goal should be to surround our young guns with guys that will insulate/mitigate their mistakes and continue to let them have the ball in their hands. Next season needs to be about establishing good winning habits, and ultimately good development progress for Scottie, RJ, IQ, Dick and Rookie(s), and letting them learn from their mistakes. That's it. Not playoffs, not play-in, nothing. The goal is development. If we make the play-in/playoffs, then that's a bonus in my books.

Comment

I see the value in Jak, I just don't think if he's missing and everyone else is healthy that we're a 2-19 team.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I see the value in Jak, I just don't think if he's missing and everyone else is healthy that we're a 2-19 team.
                            Then what are we? 5-16? 6-15? Without Jak, our defense is not good enough. Period.

Comment

Then what are we? 5-16? 6-15? Without Jak, our defense is not good enough. Period.
                              I think we would be slightly below 500. The fantasy where we deal Jak for zero players in return and Masai just doesn't get any center other than Kelly is just that, a fantasy.

Even with Kelly at C if we are healthy Scottie, RJ, IQ, Brown is not a bottom 3 team.
                              Last edited by Primer; Sun May 12, 2024, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Hawks is a team that can go in any directions with a no.1 pick in a weak draft. They have young assets and no pun intended Trae Young.

Comment

Working...
                                X