No announcement yet.

Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• • Much has been made of 19-year-old Thon Maker, who successfully petitioned the NBA to allow him in this year's Draft after he completes a year of prep school in suburban Ontario. Maker argued that his high school class graduated last year, and since he was thus a year removed from high school, he should be eligible for the Draft.
    In doing so, Maker turned down offers from college basketball's elite teams (Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, etc.), thinking the direct pipeline to the NBA would be easier than a year of college or playing abroad. But he's going to be a long-time, long term project. He's listed at 6-foot-11, 240 pounds. Very few believe the 240 part.

"He plays like a small forward, he runs like a gazelle, but he just doesn't have the skills to be effective at this level now," an Eastern Conference executive said. "The biggest thing he could have done was prep school or get a year of college under him. He's just too physically weak to compete. It's going to be more than a couple of years. I think guys forget, that even though guys have size, how skilled the guys are that have that size."

Maker, of course, has been sought after for the last several years, since he and much of his family emigrated from South Sudan via Australia when he was a boy to try and make a better life for themselves. Maker has worked very hard the last couple of years, and is getting bigger and stronger every day in Orangeville, about 45 minutes outside of Toronto.
    But he will have to show NBA types that he can hold his own physically.

Maker would seem tailor made for a team with its own NBA D-League team in a nearby suburb, where he could practice with the NBA team during the days, then play with the D-Leaguers at night. This is a kid that needs to play, and play a lot, against grown men for money.

"He really has not played against top competition the last few years," a Northwest Division man said. "He's got to learn the game as well as get his body better. It's going to take him years, I think. He may not be able to get on the court and get significant minutes until his rookie contract is up, if he's a first-round pick. That's three years. I think it's going to take him a long time. Now, for a seven footer, he plays hard, and he runs the floor extremely well. The next best thing is he steps out on the floor very well and shoot jump shots. He can become a better shooter. He can become a better rebounder, shot blocker, rim protector. A team's got to have patience with him and a good strength and conditioning department."
    http://www.nba.com/news/features/dav...specialssplit4
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Another option if you were sold on internal growth is to get Ibaka out of OKC. Kanter/Adam are becoming quite a duo. Dominated together against the spurs. You already gave Kanter big money last year. He will probably start next year. Adam's is what you got from the Harden trade. You got to keep him just to save face and he's really good as well. That makes Ibaka the odd man out in my opinion.

Might as well trade him if his not going to start for you. Get some solid role players in Ross/2pat and use the lotto pick on another young player to develop.

How good would Ross look starting next to Westbrook and KD? Adam/Kanter do most of there work in the paint. Even though Kanter can stretch it out. Bringing 2pat to play D and spread the floor off the bench.

Ibaka is making 12 mil. Ross/2pat combine make I believe 18 mil. That save you about 6 mill. To help resign Biz. If your thinking about committing to Biz than the Bebe experiment is over. I would say the same with Wright(each make just over a mil each. His the same age as Cojo. How we just made a financial commitment to last summer. Can trade them for future 2 rounds. Draft Thon Maker with your pick.

KL/Cojo/ cheap vet
      DD/Pow
      DC/cheap vet/Bruno
      Ibaka/cheap vet/Maker
      JV/Biz
      When Ross' contract kicks in it'll be around 10 Mill a year. So why would you throw in an asset like 2Pat? The Raps 2nd pick would work, or Bruno, the league might even accept their rights to Nando De Colo.

That way, you keep 2 Pat and add Ibaka who can defend the 4 and 5 (but isn't the stud he used to be). That would be a huge upgrade to Scola, and potentially Biz. Sadly, even if Thompson, Scola, and JJ are let go there's still not going to be a large budget to keep Biz. Giving away 2Pat for a player who is barely playing like he has in his past doesn't strike me as a good idea.

How they use the draft is going to be key. Grabbing a future starter at the 4 might resolve problems, but only of it's the best player available.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
        When Ross' contract kicks in it'll be around 10 Mill a year. So why would you throw in an asset like 2Pat? The Raps 2nd pick would work, or Bruno, the league might even accept their rights to Nando De Colo.

That way, you keep 2 Pat and add Ibaka who can defend the 4 and 5 (but isn't the stud he used to be). That would be a huge upgrade to Scola, and potentially Biz. Sadly, even if Thompson, Scola, and JJ are let go there's still not going to be a large budget to keep Biz. Giving away 2Pat for a player who is barely playing like he has in his past doesn't strike me as a good idea.

How they use the draft is going to be key. Grabbing a future starter at the 4 might resolve problems, but only of it's the best player available.
        I just think if you get a player like Ibaka it makes 2pat redundant. Ibaka is the exact same player but, does everything better.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Let's keep the trade proposals out of the Draft prospects thread guys.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• The Combine

Some interesting points from the combine.
            • Marquese Chriss did well and only helped his draft stock. Ditto for Brice Johnson.
            • Denzel Valentine scored poorly for the most but this shouldn't be a shocker. Whoever drafts him is taking him for his mind and frame, not his explosiveness. One exception however, the man did post the fourth best lane agility time.
            • Cheick Diallo didn't score that great. Maybe going back one more year wouldn't hurt?
            • "The Glove" Jr. did well across the board and even though he's a late bloomer he should find a team probably on a second round flier.
            • Joel Bolomboy had to have turned some heads. The 6'9", 225lbs 22 year old senior posted the best lane agility time of the combine and finished in the top five for three quarter sprint. Most mock sites have him going somewhere in the 2nd round.

Of course anyone who thinks they're likely to go in the lotto didn't attend. I really like Denzel. If Ujiri moved down in the draft and took him I'd be fine with it depending on the package deal.

Comment

• Yup, my Draft Board:

Sabonis
              Furkan
              Brice

GP2
              LaVert

if we can get a 2nd rounder somehow:
              Bolomboy

I especially would be thrilled if we got Sabonis. Give his dad a job as a big man coach.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                Some interesting points from the combine.
                • Marquese Chriss did well and only helped his draft stock. Ditto for Brice Johnson.
                • Denzel Valentine scored poorly for the most but this shouldn't be a shocker. Whoever drafts him is taking him for his mind and frame, not his explosiveness. One exception however, the man did post the fourth best lane agility time.
                • Cheick Diallo didn't score that great. Maybe going back one more year wouldn't hurt?
                • "The Glove" Jr. did well across the board and even though he's a late bloomer he should find a team probably on a second round flier.
                • Joel Bolomboy had to have turned some heads. The 6'9", 225lbs 22 year old senior posted the best lane agility time of the combine and finished in the top five for three quarter sprint. Most mock sites have him going somewhere in the 2nd round.

Of course anyone who thinks they're likely to go in the lotto didn't attend. I really like Denzel. If Ujiri moved down in the draft and took him I'd be fine with it depending on the package deal.
                Valentine is a guy with a bright future. He will help a team with his passing and smarts. Should make a hell of a coach one day too. I would like him in the 12-15 range, perhaps one of the bevy of Celtics picks could be had to nab him. He's a guy who would instantly make a second unit better.

Chriss is seeming to become my number 1 choice if we stay in the 8-9 range.

GP2 could be good value but really unbalanced roster for us without moves.

Diallo doesn't seem like a good value pick to me. Better options at 27, including some overseas guys which would be better for the roster composition anyway.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                  I especially would be thrilled if we got Sabonis. Give his dad a job as a big man coach.
                  Pretty sure Arvydas's current job with Lithuania's national program is significantly more appealing than positional coach in the NBA.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                    Valentine is a guy with a bright future. He will help a team with his passing and smarts. Should make a hell of a coach one day too. I would like him in the 12-15 range, perhaps one of the bevy of Celtics picks could be had to nab him. He's a guy who would instantly make a second unit better.

Chriss is seeming to become my number 1 choice if we stay in the 8-9 range.

GP2 could be good value but really unbalanced roster for us without moves.

Diallo doesn't seem like a good value pick to me. Better options at 27, including some overseas guys which would be better for the roster composition anyway.
                    I was thinking that if the Raptors hypothetically landed in 10th on Tuesday maybe Phoenix would considering swapping 13th and TJ Warren to move up. The Raptors then land two pretty good wings for the price of one just in time for DeRozan's possible exit. If he doesn't leave then they have assets to work with so no loss.

Comment

Pretty sure Arvydas's current job with Lithuania's national program is significantly more appealing than positional coach in the NBA.
                      Arvydas is pretty much like royalty over there. I wouldn't want to leave that situation either.

Comment

No doubt, but maybe a part time role would be appealing, if his son along with his starting C JV where here, Or maybe he has an interest in being an NBA coach and that would be a good start, who knows.

Comment

Apparently Caris LeVert didn't take part because of his injury recovery. He would be a good gamble at 27. If he can get healthy that's huge talent at that spot. If the medical concerns turn out to be too risky maybe in the second round then.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post
                            Yup, my Draft Board:

Sabonis
                            Furkan
                            Brice

*puke worthy* (Korkmaz being the only slight exception)

You don't draft an energy big with our lone lotto pick for probably the forseeable future.

On top of that Sabonis is probably the worst choice of the 3 and he's your favorite. Sabonis has terrible defence (please go watch his DraftExpress vid for further explanation) but in short (no pun intended) his t-rex arms that are as long as Norman Powell's are horrible for a post defender, he doesn't even crack 7ft. He also defends being very upright which makes him terrible at covering ground laterally. The result is a guy who will be bad defending both the perimeter and the interior...

With his upright stance perimeter players and stretch 4s will be able to go around him and in the post he actually doesn't hold position well so with his short arms post players will be able to go right over top him. His offence is also a bit overrated as well because he has a terrible tendency to almost exclusively go right, so he's horribly predictable. I'm willing to bet he will amount to nothing more than a big off the bench. Much of his college "success" is due to being the size of a full grown man in college. In the pros, that advantage will be gone.

Comment

• If Buddy Hield takes the senior stigma tumble to 9 to 11 range, he's a no brainer for the Raps, right?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                If Buddy Hield takes the senior stigma tumble to 9 to 11 range, he's a no brainer for the Raps, right?
                                I don't like him at all, personally.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X