Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://youtu.be/msd4OQimjDI

Comment

• Skal is going to be the major climber of the draft. In that video he did a really good job -naturally- of protecting the ball with his opposite shoulder and created space...very unlikely that he gets blocked often. Cool

____

As for the Raptors draft night, my personal armchair GM would look like this.

9th pick:

If Davis is still on the board you take him
      If Davis is no longer on the board, take Sabonis (or Skal if he magically falls to us, but that's unlikely. Murray will be gone)

27th pick:

- Jake Layman is perfectly suited to be an immediate two way role player. Saw him play live and he is extremely athletic, has a good shot, and reads and reacts to his teammates movement very well. Underrated handles. Might be the steal of the draft.
      Or
      -Caris LeVert as a swing for the fences pick. Has everything but a foot...

I'm not overly inclined to trade out of this draft or play the Free Agent market.

Comment

• Looking Ahead: 2016 NBA Draft

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
        Skal is going to be the major climber of the draft. In that video he did a really good job -naturally- of protecting the ball with his opposite shoulder and created space...very unlikely that he gets blocked often. Cool

____

As for the Raptors draft night, my personal armchair GM would look like this.

9th pick:

If Davis is still on the board you take him
        If Davis is no longer on the board, take Sabonis (or Skal if he magically falls to us, but that's unlikely. Murray will be gone)

27th pick:

- Jake Layman is perfectly suited to be an immediate two way role player. Saw him play live and he is extremely athletic, has a good shot, and reads and reacts to his teammates movement very well. Underrated handles. Might be the steal of the draft.
        Or
        -Caris LeVert as a swing for the fences pick. Has everything but a foot...

I'm not overly inclined to trade out of this draft or play the Free Agent market.
        I like Carris Lavert. Could be a steal.
        Last edited by Maury; Thu May 26, 2016, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• Looking Ahead: 2016 NBA Draft

https://youtu.be/bjAbcHdjwUs
          Seems like a solid guy. Has a smooth jumper and a good mindset. A lot to work on tho!!!

Comment

• I've got my hopes on Chriss and Zhou now.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

Comment

• I would be shocked if it's Chriss. That kid is a very longterm project and we're in win-now mode.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                I would be shocked if it's Chriss. That kid is a very longterm project and we're in win-now mode.
                Exactly. If we are drafting a big I think we need a guy who can contribute on defence right away, and that would be Davis. If not Davis, skal can probably be a contributor on the defensive end to a certain extent.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                  Exactly. If we are drafting a big I think we need a guy who can contribute on defence right away, and that would be Davis. If not Davis, skal can probably be a contributor on the defensive end to a certain extent.
                  I don't think is a good idea to draft a PF solely cause he can play defense without a midrange game(at least),JV needs his space down low, in fact nowadays players from 1 to 4 should have reliable offence with range.The game should not always be dictated by the backcourt(win or loose) where typically should have scoring options from all 5 on court.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                    While you 'might' be able to do something like that, the small sample-size suggests Ujiri tends to take the guy he likes best with the pick he has, rather than trading down and picking up an extra asset. He probably could have traded down a bit and still grabbed Bruno, too. Even Delon Wright was scouted to go much later in the first and Ujiri probably could have traded down and still had a solid shot.

Now, maybe it's just that they couldn't find a taker in these situations. But After the Caboclo draft, it certainly sounded like Ujiri had locked in on Ennis or Caboclo, and there wasn't a lot of trying to maximize the value there.
                    If memory serves, delon was mocked between 22 and 24. Masai did want ennis at 20 and Bruno in the 2nd but ennis went to Phoenix and Dallas supposedly had interest in Bruno with their first (circa 26?). How I remember it, anyway.

Comment

Wouldn't really expect either Davis or Skal to play much right away either though. Both didn't get many minutes, nor did they put up great numbers. Chriss played more and put up numbers, though I don't think that necessarily makes him the better prospect.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                        I would be shocked if it's Chriss. That kid is a very longterm project and we're in win-now mode.
                        Maury wrote: View Post
                        he has the stroke already and the hops. in our range i think he has the best potential. if, big if, he is the starting 4 he is next to lowry, demar, carroll and jv. that is a lot of vet presence. he would be asked to stand and shoot 3s and everything else would be gravy. on defense he can't be worse than scola, can't be. it is literally impossible to be worse than scola on defense.

just my preference. i know that whoever gets called at 9 masai, casey and the staff would have put them through the ringer and they will choose the right player. everything they do is program building, not even team building. i think they want this thing to be self sufficient like a perpetual motion machine. i doubt they start pat again next year and 5-8 minutes of a rookie to start the game before pat comes and spells the quarter is a good first year of growth.

whoever we pick at 9 could also not even see the floor in year one like this years rookies too, the only thing they would have going for them is our lack of depth at the 4. i don't buy the bpa instead of a positional need talk this year. they will generally be one and the same.

Comment

• Remember when Boston offered 4 first round picks for last year's 9th pick from Charlotte which Charlotte turned down? it was later reported this year's 3rd overall was one of them as well as next year's draft BKYN pick. Obviously, now in hindsight it looks like terrible decision to turn it down...but

If a similar situation presents itself, should we look into it?

Comment

I like Carris Lavert. Could be a steal.
                            I've been high on Caris for the past two drafts. IMO most talented and complete wing in the draft outside of Ingram

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            he has the stroke already and the hops. in our range i think he has the best potential. if, big if, he is the starting 4 he is next to lowry, demar, carroll and jv. that is a lot of vet presence. he would be asked to stand and shoot 3s and everything else would be gravy. on defense he can't be worse than scola, can't be. it is literally impossible to be worse than scola on defense.

just my preference. i know that whoever gets called at 9 masai, casey and the staff would have put them through the ringer and they will choose the right player. everything they do is program building, not even team building. i think they want this thing to be self sufficient like a perpetual motion machine. i doubt they start pat again next year and 5-8 minutes of a rookie to start the game before pat comes and spells the quarter is a good first year of growth.

whoever we pick at 9 could also not even see the floor in year one like this years rookies too, the only thing they would have going for them is our lack of depth at the 4. i don't buy the bpa instead of a positional need talk this year. they will generally be one and the same.
                            I disagree. Let's not pound square pegs into round holes. Davis happens to be the BPA, fits an immediate need, and is defensively capable to play NBA minutes right away. To get PT as a young guy you need to be able to play defense first, that's the rule.

In terms of PF's need to be able to shoot threes, it is easier (and more efficient) to find a SG who shoots them and have two effective targets as Pick and Roll men (instead of pop). The roll is the most efficient and consistent play in basketball, I suggest we use it a lot more than we do, and stretch 4s don't do that very much.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              I disagree. Let's not pound square pegs into round holes. Davis happens to be the BPA, fits an immediate need, and is defensively capable to play NBA minutes right away. To get PT as a young guy you need to be able to play defense first, that's the rule.

In terms of PF's need to be able to shoot threes, it is easier (and more efficient) to find a SG who shoots them and have two effective targets as Pick and Roll men (instead of pop). The roll is the most efficient and consistent play in basketball, I suggest we use it a lot more than we do, and stretch 4s don't do that very much.
                              davis as bpa is debatable. every team, even the ones with 3pt shooting 2 guards want stretch 4 and are looking for them. i think chriss has a higher ceiling than davis, even on defense.

in the 9 range these guys could even compete against each other during workouts. where the coaching staff can make a concentration grading on both.
                              Last edited by Miekenstien; Fri May 27, 2016, 02:16 AM.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                http://nyloncalculus.com/2016/05/26/...medium=twitter

Nyloncalculus' predictors are not kind to Hield or Valentine.
                                Interesting that the few draft analytics I've seen really like Dejounte Murray. Considering that he also has the measurements of a lotto pick, its kind of odd that he is projected so low in mocks (DX has him 32). I guess its the analytics really like him because he could stuff the stat sheet, even though it was inefficient in terms of shooting and turnovers. I would definitely take him at 27, if he doesn't end up lower.

I admit, we have a lot of guards and getting a big or wing may make more sense in terms of pt for development, Murray would be a project anyways and probably has a higher ceiling than cojo or wright, even though he may very well not get there. With the amount of prospects and picks we have I'd rather take a shot on a guy with a great ceiling than a high floor low ceiling guy.
                                Last edited by DogeLover1234; Fri May 27, 2016, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X