Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
    So why isn't he top 5 in a weak draft? If Poeltl is so good how is he mocked around 9-12?
    Because Poeltl is good, but he's old-school good: he has good defensive instincts and a decent post game (and he's an okay passer), but he's not an athletic rim protector and he doesn't have a jump shot, much less a reasonable three-shot. GMs want big men at the 5 now who can shoot the three at least slightly respectably and who can athletically rebound and block shots. (If Bismack Biyombo could shoot the three at, say, 32% right now, he'd be getting upwards of $20m a season this summer.)

Poeltl drops because, well, what he does isn't the cool thing for centers right now.

Comment

• Deino wrote: View Post
      Even if we ignore the void in starting 4 spot,Poetl still won't be the better pick,simply because what you need in a compliment to JV in a defensive enforcer (just like Biyombo) to use each one depending on game situations and matchups.
      Ps:they say it's not a smart thing to duplicate a talent in the NBA(specially when you need enforcements in another spot)
      And here I thought the prevailing wisdom was BPA...

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
        I'd look at the small-ball trend as the likely culprit myself. Perhaps a small bias against white centers coming out of the NCAA.
        Is there a trend toward small ball and stretch 4's? Sure. But I think impact from bigs get a little underestimated on these boards. TT has been huge for the Cavs the last 2 years. Adams was huge for the Thunder. They also have Kanter. They have Ibaka at power forward. San Antonio has Aldridge. And HOF PF / C Duncan. The Warriors employee a bunch of bigs... Bogut, Ezili... And the raps had Val and Biz, who were absolutely key for us in the playoffs.

I think the demise of the big man is being greatly exaggerated.

Comment

• I have and odd Question.

Who in your guys opinion is the BEST defensive Centre in this draft and could he take Biyombo's role?
          Axel wrote:
          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
          KeonClark wrote:
          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
          KeonClark wrote:
          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            When Davis said that his goal in NBA is to get second contract made me kinda concerned but i don't know maybe it was nothing.
            It may have had something to do with what Coach Izzo was saying before Davis declared - Izzo was trying to talk him into another year at MSU.

Michigan State freshman Deyonta Davis is “50-50” on entering the draft, his coach Tom Izzo told the Detroit News’ Matt Charboneau and other media members at the Final Four. Izzo isn’t sure if Davis is ready physically and mentally for the next level and believes he could benefit from staying in school, the story adds. The 6’10” big man is ranked No. 12 by ESPN Insider Chad Ford and No. 13 by Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress. “To me, if he is drafted 12 or 25, it doesn’t change my opinion,” Izzo said. “Maybe there is a little more money but I think it’s more what he can handle and what is good for him to get to the second contract. That’s how I’m going to give my final advice, but he’s gonna make his own decisions.”
            http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/04/d...eld-trier.html
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              Yabusele pro day

Footwork seems kind of awkward to me. Runs on his toes. Feels like an ankle injury waiting to happen.

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                I have and odd Question.

Who in your guys opinion is the BEST defensive Centre in this draft and could he take Biyombo's role?
                Defensive big 4/5 with elite defensive upside: Davis

I think he could play back up 4 to start, possibly start in the not too distant future. And play back up 5.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                  Is there a trend toward small ball and stretch 4's? Sure. But I think impact from bigs get a little underestimated on these boards. TT has been huge for the Cavs the last 2 years. Adams was huge for the Thunder. They also have Kanter. They have Ibaka at power forward. San Antonio has Aldridge. And HOF PF / C Duncan. The Warriors employee a bunch of bigs... Bogut, Ezili... And the raps had Val and Biz, who were absolutely key for us in the playoffs.

I think the demise of the big man is being greatly exaggerated.
                  Yup. Most small ball still revolves around a big man in the middle. And most rosters still have 3 7-footers.

But in terms of what's hot trend right now in the NBA, it's not big-bodied post-scorers.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    The NBA is not the musclebound, steroid-ridden cage-match that it once was. It's moreso about quickness these days - unless you're at the 5-spot, which still tends to be a brute-war until teams go small. Scrawny but skilled guys like Andrew Nicholson can come in and contribute just fine (not that he's setting the world on fire, but you get the idea).

Don't get me wrong, strength is still key. Sabonis's strength will serve him well, but it's his ability to move his feet AND be strong that might have him in the lottery.
                    But wow - watching the NBA finals shows that it is tough out there. It is so physical - a lot of bumping, clutching, grabbing and hard fouls.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      Is this a joke? Richardson has no business being a lottery pick.
                      If 17 are being invited, the Grizz pick #17

From The Vertical

Insider info: The Grizzlies are enamored with the Syracuse wing, urging him to shut down his workouts with the promise of selecting him here, sources said. They could really use the perimeter shooting he offers and has some upside.
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• DX interview with Guerschon Yabusele

Jonathan Givony: What have you been doing in Los Angeles so far?

Guerschon Yabusele: We work out a lot you know. We keep on shooting. Playing 1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3. Keep in shape, working out a lot.

Jonathan Givony: What kind of basketball things do they have you working on? The trainers, what do they want to see you improve on?

Guerschon Yabusele: The trainers want to see me improve on my ball-handling skills. Keep working on my shot and my post up game, and my three point range.

Jonathan Givony: What was the Pro Day like for you?

Guerschon Yabusele: It was a big day for me. I really like to work a lot, and work like this when there are a lot of people here. I get to improve on myself and show them that I can really play basketball, and that I can play in the NBA.

Jonathan Givony: Was it nerve racking being in front of so many NBA general managers? Pat Riley and Jerry West and all these legendary guys.

Guerschon Yabusele: I mean at the beginning I was a little bit nervous, but that's good. I know I'm ready, so I just go on the court and show them that I can play. It feels great to be here with everybody.

Jonathan Givony: What do you think they were able to see from you?

Guerschon Yabusele: I think they could see that I could shoot. I got to work a lot on my ball-handling. I can post up and I can play one on one. I can play defense and offense. I'm smart on the court and can do a lot of things.

Jonathan Givony: People think that the difference between Pro A and Pro B is huge, but this year you made it look pretty easy with the transition. You were able to get a lot of the same numbers, you had some great performances against some of the best teams in the league. How were you able to do that?

Guerschon Yabusele: At the beginning of the season you know it was a little tough, because I had to learn and play quickly. I was learning a lot, talking to the players. Go in the gym before and after and stay. I got to work a lot and you know just keep going. It was tough, but I liked it, I had to go hard. I had to learn fast, and I just wanted to play like I know I can.

Jonathan Givony: How good of a shooter are you right now?

Guerschon Yabusele: Right now I think I'm a good shooter. I can make 3s even if someone is defending me closely.

Jonathan Givony: How have you found the difference between the European line and the NBA line? Is that going to be a transition for you?

Guerschon Yabusele: From the European line to the NBA I think it's going to be ok. I know the beginning is not going to be easy for sure, but I think I'm really ready and I can improve myself.

Jonathan Givony: What can you tell us about your measurements, even in centimeters and kilograms? Your weight, and your height, and your wingspan if you know it.

Guerschon Yabusele: Right now I'm 275 pounds, and I'm 6'7 without shoes.

Jonathan Givony: What is the month of June going to look like for you coming up to the NBA Draft?

Guerschon Yabusele: It's going to be a big day for me and my family and my friends. We are going to be here and ready. I got to do a couple workouts before that. I'm ready for the draft so we'll see what happens.

Jonathan Givony: How important is it for you to go to get drafted very high?

Guerschon Yabusele: Even if I'm the first round or the second round I don't really care it's not that important. You see Draymond Green was drafted second round and right now he is one of the best players in the league. I don't really care about it.

Jonathan Givony: What do you care about?

Guerschon Yabusele: To be drafted. I want to get drafted and play in the NBA next year.

Jonathan Givony: You mentioned Draymond Green. Could you play that kind of role as a small center sometimes, who spaces the floor or would you prefer to be a power forward full time?

Guerschon Yabusele: Right now I think I could play like him. A lot of people talk to me, and compare me to him. I got a lot of energy. I can dribble a little bit and I can shoot it. I can play defense on the 3, 4, and 5. I can play on both ends, so I think I can play like him. I know I got a lot of work to do, but I really think I can do it.

Jonathan Givony: I was looking at your per minute numbers from last year and this year, and your rebounding took a big jump. Usually when guys go from Pro B to Pro A they go way down, but you went way up. How did your rebounding improve so much?

Guerschon Yabusele: I was ready, I was really ready to play in Pro A. Even when I was playing in Pro B I was thinking about Pro A all the time because I really wanted to go up a level. I just go with energy, all that I can, jumping everywhere, try to grab a lot of rebounds, take some minutes, take some shots. I just improve myself, and I'm happy to play. The coach was trusting me, so I was just playing. I'm 20 years old, I came excited on the court. I give a lot of energy, I try to be the energizer on the team.

Jonathan Givony: Even though you found a lot of success individually, your team struggled, and ultimately was relegated. Why did you guys struggle to come together so much as a team?

Guerschon Yabusele: This year was tough. A lot of players came and a lot of players left. Sometimes we played a game with five players, or six players. It was tough with confidence, but we tried to stay together everybody on the team, and talk to each other. When you play like 32 games, and you play with six players it's tough to win a lot of games. We took some games, and we were happy. We got some problems, everyone outside the court. But you know, we tried to keep going. We were close, every game we were close, like five points or four points. We played big teams, with a big roster, and we just give everything on the court.

Jonathan Givony: Great stuff man, appreciate it.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• myklk wrote: View Post
                          But wow - watching the NBA finals shows that it is tough out there. It is so physical - a lot of bumping, clutching, grabbing and hard fouls.
                          Yeah, at the highest level it gets crazy, but you still have both teams shelving their biggest guys - Bogut and Mosgov. You just need uber-competitive athletes ready and willing to lay it down consistently. That's why I can understand the hesitation here around Ellenson.

Comment

• Dejounte Murray has been added to the green room. Outside the top 8 he has the most upside. I would roll with him at 9.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Dejounte Murray has been added to the green room. Outside the top 8 he has the most upside. I would roll with him at 9.
                              I like him, but not sure about 9. He was still all flashes, watched quite a bit of UW. I dont really trust his jumper. He wasn't strong enough in college, much less NBA. Love the two way potential though. Great physical tools as well. Also is he going to be better than Baldwin? I think i like a guard who is good off the catch and shoot, defends multiple positions etc a little more.

Comment

Dejounte Murray has been added to the green room. Outside the top 8 he has the most upside. I would roll with him at 9.
                                Again, BPA and all that (which I don't think he is even close to being), but I don't know why anyone has any interest in guards in this draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X