Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    Because it doesn't just cost us Terrence Ross. It costs us Terrence Ross and the opportunity to draft someone who's not Terrence Ross with that pick.
    so you just want the Raptors to draft bunch of role players and forget about even taking a chance on a guy that can potentially become the "go to" player?

Comment

With the Steph comparison... His rookie season in the NBA he played 36MPG and had a 21% usage rate. That time and space to develop was critical for him turning into what he is.

Dan, do you have any confidence that Murray gets either minutes or opportunities with Casey/Lowry/DeMar/JV in place? And if he does, who loses opportunities for him to get them, and why is it JV?
      Ha.

As it is, CoJo is overburdened with the usage he carries with our bench, he's far better off in a low usage defensive role. And Murray's minutes (probably closer to 18 than 36) would come mostly against bench units where he can be asked to carry a lot of offence, at least 20% no problem. That also alleviates the defensive concerns until he can grow into a better defender and earn a starting spot, or not and stay a bench scorer. Add in whoever the new player is taking some PF minutes hopefully being lower usage than Scola, and Lowry and DD seeing what should be a decrease in minutes, and I don't see a lack of opportunity.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
        so you just want the Raptors to draft bunch of role players and forget about even taking a chance on a guy that can potentially become the "go to" player?
        He's not going to become a "go to" player without the opportunity to do so. That's the one thing we can't offer Murray because of the makeup of our roster. We're trying to win now, not develop rookies, and you aren't getting Steph Curry without giving him minutes and touches in the NBA.

Our offense doesn't afford that to him.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• I'll totally agree to disagree on this one. Don't see it going anywhere.

Maybe Murray becomes Steph. That might be his ceiling. More likely he lands somewhere in the middle of his projected curve.

I wouldn't trade up in this draft, personally, but that's just my opinion.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

He's not going to become a "go to" player without the opportunity to do so. That's the one thing we can't offer Murray because of the makeup of our roster. We're trying to win now, not develop rookies, and you aren't getting Steph Curry without giving him minutes and touches in the NBA.

Our offense doesn't afford that to him.
            what!

you draft a guy based on what he can offer you for the next 7-9 years.

Not because what he can do in your offense next season. You draft for talent at the top of the draft, not fit.

Even then, if Norman Powell can crack the rotation and be big part of the season, no reason to believe Jamal Murray can't, especially being a higher draft pick.

Atleast not necessarily next season, but Jamal Murray could be the guy you look to after the Lowry days.

Comment

• And another thing about Steph - Murray talks.

Steals.

Curry has really good instincts stealing the ball.. always has. He's never been a really good one-on-one defender, but the one thing that has made him serviceable on defense is his ability to pick pockets and play the passing lane well. His STL% as a FR is nearly twice as much as Murray. It's the same problem DeMar has.

Comment

• Chad Ford:

Upside: Murray's versatility and scoring ability really stand out. He's an aggressive scorer who can shoot with deep range and get to the basket. He's likely to be a 20 PPG scorer in the NBA.

His competitiveness and leadership are always there. And though he didn't play the position at Kentucky, he's got enough skills to play the point in the NBA. The best comp I've heard for Murray on the high end is Brandon Roy.

Downside: Murray's lack of lateral quickness can hurt him on both ends of the floor. He can sometimes struggle to get past quicker defenders and defensively he can get torched by athletic wings. On the low end, C.J. McCollum could be a good comp.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

I'm not arguing the point, but you're talking about intangibles, not skills. What does he do, skillwise, above average aside from scoring?
                  im not an insider or stat geek. can someone who is an insider check where murray is on kevin Peltons big board please? i think he grades out as 4th? he did that on a horribly constructed kentucky team and he was 18/19. he has the drive and work ethic to get better and i think that will lead him to get better in pretty much all areas. to me the only real area he can't improve on is length and he did struggle against length. he makes up for it somewhat in braun. he is built through the chest and can grow stronger there.
                  the steph comp is just too high. he's like lowry with a better shot and as if lowry had started to become lowry at 19 rather than his late 20's. we all know lowry is the heart of this team and you need guys like that. the guy is special and when you add the canadian thing with jurassic park its gasoline on that fire. giving up delon or a late pick or ross to get that is nothing in the big picture. you gotta take your shot bc it doesnt come often. we'd have control over the guy for years on the cheap. so much better than sending out those assets for thad young.

Comment

• I think Jamal Murray is a shooting guard, but i like him anyway. I might trade up, might not, depends on the price.

I like Dunn more than him, but other than that, he's my favorite prospect. Other than Simmons / Ingram that is.

Comment

• Green is better than Curry by a fair amount.

Comment

• I don't know if Murray turns into Curry, but I see a little of it in him and would give up an asset like T. Ross for the chance to find out.

I think an added benefit would be that it gives the Raptors options with what happens with Demar/Lowry. If DD leaves this summer, we have Murray and Powell to fill the role. If he signs long term and the Raps want to move him at the deadline (or next year, whenever) for a PF we have options. If the Raps don't want to pay Lowry as an older FA, options.

Comment

• Just read that Beasley is rising and may be drafted as high as Atlanta at 12. Was hoping for him at 27, but sounds like he won't make it that far.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                            Just read that Beasley is rising and may be drafted as high as Atlanta at 12. Was hoping for him at 27, but sounds like he won't make it that far.
                            Beasley reminds me of Rashad Vaughn from last year
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                              Beasley reminds me of Rashad Vaughn from last year
                              I like Beasley a lot. I heard that Powell destroyed Vaughn in a one one workout last year.

Comment

• Ok I've force myself into being ok with Sabonis as the pick.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X