Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Lowry's Elbow Injury - to rest, or not to rest...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • slaw wrote: View Post
    1) Is just simply false. You keep peddling this but it is absolute nonsense. Certainly, time played affects injury risk but it isn't anywhere near like what you are suggesting - there are all sorts of factors that matter.
    2) Not necessarily.
    3) Maybe, but if he needs weeks of rest/no activity to heal fully then that's not really an option is it?
    As I said, all the random factors are uncontrollable. Easy to control his minutes though.

    In any case, to answer 3), he got injured in the ORL game in London, which was in January. Seems to me like we had some time. Then reinjured it badly in the recent ORL game, which was March 20th. Seems like he could have had a couple weeks rest pretty easily starting then and come back with a week to spare before the playoffs.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

    Comment


    • LJ2 wrote: View Post
      I don't believe that is accurate. Give me a non playoff tested team like Detroit whose best player gets completely owned by JV more times than not. We can win with a decent Lowry depending on match-up.
      We have 3 years of data that says that we aren't going to integrate JV heavily into the offense no matter what. So, regardless of matchup, I'm not expecting our offense to heavily feature him.

      Even if Lowry's injury gets to the point where he has to miss games, history says that usage will go to CoJo and Wright, not JV.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

      Comment


      • Adjusting a player's minutes doesn't prevent injuries. Maybe you reduce his minutes and he subs in at a different time and gets knocked down and ruptures his spinal cord.

        Comment


        • JWash wrote: View Post
          I think you're using the wrong term when you say "break" his mechanics tbh. It just doesn't sound correct to me.
          An injury causes a player to alter his shooting mechanics, either because the joint physically won't work as it normally does, or because the normal usage is too painful.

          The bottom line is that he's injured and the injury is preventing him from shooting properly, and improper shooting mechanics have caused his shooting % to drop off a cliff.

          Call it what you will, the point remains the same. The guy should be resting the injury, so that he can be healed and come back healthy, which would allow him to shoot properly.

          The crux of the argument seems to be whether an odd day off here and there, sandwiched around heavy usage games played, constitutes sufficient "rest".
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Mar 29th, 2016, 12:55 PM.

          Comment


          • Barolt wrote: View Post
            We have 3 years of data that says that we aren't going to integrate JV heavily into the offense no matter what. So, regardless of matchup, I'm not expecting our offense to heavily feature him.

            Even if Lowry's injury gets to the point where he has to miss games, history says that usage will go to CoJo and Wright, not JV.
            JV actually usually does get much more involved against Detroit for some reason it seems like.

            Comment


            • CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              An injury causes a player to alter his shooting mechanics, either because the joint physically won't work as it normally does, or because the normal usage is too painful.

              The bottom line is that he's injured and the injury is preventing him from shooting properly, an improper shooting mechanics have caused his shooting % to drop off a cliff.

              Call it what you will, the point remains the same. The guy should be resting the injury, so that he can be healed and come back healthy, which would allow him to shoot properly.

              The crux of the argument seems to be whether an odd day off here and there, sandwiched around heavy usage games played, constitutes sufficient "rest".
              Read my second post, I misinterpreted.

              Comment


              • JWash wrote: View Post
                JV actually usually does get much more involved against Detroit for some reason it seems like.
                In the last two seasons, he's taken 15 shots 7 times. Twice this year.

                Scola has taken 15 shots 6 times this season.

                Let's not expect JV to suddenly be featured in our offense.
                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                Comment


                • JWash wrote: View Post
                  Adjusting a player's minutes doesn't prevent injuries. Maybe you reduce his minutes and he subs in at a different time and gets knocked down and ruptures his spinal cord.
                  Yes, that's completely random though. If you sub in a player half as often, you have half as much chance of said random event happening.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • JWash wrote: View Post
                    Adjusting a player's minutes doesn't prevent injuries. Maybe you reduce his minutes and he subs in at a different time and gets knocked down and ruptures his spinal cord.
                    It reduces probability of injury based on one variable (playing time).

                    You're less likely to trip going down a flight of 3 stairs, than 35 stairs.

                    Comment


                    • Barolt wrote: View Post
                      In the last two seasons, he's taken 15 shots 7 times. Twice this year.

                      Scola has taken 15 shots 6 times this season.

                      Let's not expect JV to suddenly be featured in our offense.
                      Not so much this year because of injuries I think, but last year he averaged over 13 shots per game against Detroit and 20pts and 9.5 rebs. I think he gets up for playing against Drummond.

                      Didn't say anything about him being featured. Just that he might get more involved due to the nature of the opponent. Just always assuming the negative that JV is going to get frozen out or whatever is lame. He is still at the end of the day 3rd on the team in usage (among regulars) and 3rd in FGA/gm. And it's not unheard of for guys like him to step up bigtime when needed in the playoffs.

                      Comment


                      • JWash wrote: View Post
                        JV actually usually does get much more involved against Detroit for some reason it seems like.
                        JV's usage this year: 20.4%, 25.9 MPG.

                        JV's usage this year vs Detroit: 17.1%, 24.2 MPG.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

                        Comment


                        • DanH wrote: View Post
                          Yes, that's completely random though. If you sub in a player half as often, you have half as much chance of said random event happening.
                          No you don't, because the likelihood of that event could be higher or lower at different times.

                          Comment


                          • JWash wrote: View Post
                            Not so much this year because of injuries I think, but last year he averaged over 13 shots per game against Detroit and 20pts and 9.5 rebs. I think he gets up for playing against Drummond.

                            Didn't say anything about him being featured. Just that he might get more involved due to the nature of the opponent. Just always assuming the negative that JV is going to get frozen out or whatever is lame. He is still at the end of the day 3rd on the team in usage (among regulars) and 3rd in FGA/gm. And it's not unheard of for guys like him to step up bigtime when needed in the playoffs.
                            He averaged 13 shots, and 3 ORBs against them last year. So 10 shots that he didn't create himself off misses.
                            twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

                            Comment


                            • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              It reduces probability of injury based on one variable (playing time).

                              You're less likely to trip going down a flight of 3 stairs, than 35 stairs.
                              I feel like I'm going crazy here. It's really a straightforward principle, right?
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

                              Comment


                              • DanH wrote: View Post
                                JV's usage this year: 20.4%, 25.9 MPG.

                                JV's usage this year vs Detroit: 17.1%, 24.2 MPG.
                                I literally JUST pointed out how I was talking about last year moreso than this year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X