Everything 2016/17 NBA Draft Thread aka Thank Nation 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    Damn. That's awful for him. Terrible news.
    In hindsight, basketball career probably over.

But now that he knows he can treat his ailment and live long instead of collapsing and dying on a basketball court when he is young.

Comment

• Appears that the Kings are going to work out Markelle Fultz, which is INTERESTING, because maybe Boston's looked at him and decided "he's good, but we don't think he's going to be great fast enough, so we're sticking with Isaiah" and are willing to trade the pick.

The Kings trading up for De'Aaron Fox was a stupid idea because there are a couple of point guards in this draft who they could get at 5 who are nearly as good as Fox and might even be better (assuming Fox wasn't at 5 anyway). The Kings trading up for Fultz, on the other hand, is smart as hell, because there's two transformative players in this draft and Fultz is one of them. Probably something along the lines of 5, 10, Willie Cauley-Stein and a future pickswap gets it done and that's fair value for Sacramento. A backcourt of Fultz and Buddy Hield has a shit-ton of potential. That's a young team that can go places.

Comment

• https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...read/?sort=new

First Rd of the Reddit mock draft is over. Raps traded 23+Demarre for 36+39+Gerald Henderson. Amazing trade but I don't think Philly would pay that much. Maybe a more diluted version is possible?

Comment

• lewro wrote: View Post
          https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...read/?sort=new

First Rd of the Reddit mohereraft is over. Raps traded 23+Demarre for 36+39+Gerald Henderson. Amazing trade but I don't think Philly would pay that much. Maybe a more diluted version is possible?
          Colangelo owes us. Just like we got a 2nd round pick from Orlando for Waltman, Colangelo needs to pay his dues by giving the Raptors a gift for his time here. After all his work in Toronto is what got him his job in Philly and I'm sure in his interview for the 76'ers job Colangelo outlined all his mistakes and lessons learned from his time here to the satisfaction of the owner.

Comment

• Was following the reddit draft, and listening to a few podcasts and a few things seem to be coming into focus

Lots of people think Bolden has a first round promise, which is why he hasn't gone to the US for workouts, or gone to Adidas. He's doing really well in the Adriatic League also.

Most people see Semi as a PF who can play some SF, not the other way around. Basically, a slightly shorter 2Pat. Check out his weaknesses on Youtube, they're concerning if you see him as a 3.

All the bigs seem to be expected to be picked between the 20's to mid 30's right now. All the interest from fans and mock drafts is in 1s, 2s, and players who can play the three in the lottery. I don't think that holds.

My concern with what I'm hearing from Raptors fan podcasts who have interest in drafting 6-5 players who can play multiple positions -- guys like White, Brown, Bacon and Thornwell -- is if you draft them you can play position-less basketball with these guys and Norm, Delon, etc, but teams like Milwaukee can do the same thing with guys over 6-10. In theory, Thornwell, Brown etc can play 3 positions, but who cares if guys can shoot over them? It's the same reason why I can't pencil Norm in as a starter at the 3. Despite me thinking he's the Raps best wing not named DeRozan.

I think Raps need to draft someone who can switch everything from 3-5 (& guard slower 2s). Ideally, a longer 3 or 4. No clue who that is. I haven't watched Kurucs, or the PF from Utah. I've asked about DJ Wilson, but I have no clue if what he did was a fluke or not... I like Bolden, but can he guard the 3? Will Milwaukee draft him because he looks like half their roster already?

This is going to be an interesting draft. These Mock Draft Boards are going to be mad wrong

Comment

• Speaking of Mock drafts, nbadraft has the Raptors picking Ike. He is raw but he's got length and potential but maybe 2 years away from actually getting some minutes on this roster.

That thing might be something Masai doesn't want, cause he may want an impact player now as opposed tolater which is why I think they may draft Caleb.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                Speaking of Mock drafts, nbadraft has the Raptors picking Ike. He is raw but he's got length and potential but maybe 2 years away from actually getting some minutes on this roster.

That thing might be something Masai doesn't want, cause he may want an impact player now as opposed tolater which is why I think they may draft Caleb.
                For the most part it looks like we've been looking at SF/PFs that can shoot ie/ Caleb, Semi, Leaf, Lydon, Jeanne, Hartenstein

Seems fairly obvious to me that Masai is looking to plug the hole of losing Patterson. I think he had to at least take a look at Anigbogu who appears to have better shooting touch than expected, same goes for Bam (both of whom I would take over Rabb since they seem to have the same range but the prior 2 being much better athletes, thankfully although I don't wish it on a player Rabb was hurt in a prior workout so it will likely hurt his stock and our consideration of him).

Personally I get the feeling we're taking one of Semi, Kuzma or Hartentstein, although I think it's a huge mistake to pass on Bolden if he's available. But those 2 first names just scream "Masai picks" , with the high character bs but they provide versatility and 3pt shooting which is an obvious desire here and our glaring weakness is finding a true SF to help phase out Carroll and provide a 40 year old Ibaka some rest moving forward. Although Masai was seen scouting Hartenstein on a couple of occasions during the season.

Comment

• Besides who we've looked at, the one thing I always keep hearing Tolzman talk about is the ability to switch and guard multiple positions and combine that with our desire to add more shooting and I think the decision is just boiling down to who does those 2 things the best.

IMO that player is Jonah Bolden, considering no one's able to work him out yet, I'm not sure who we could say is the player that can defend 1-4 the best, while also being a good shooter. I think of who we've looked Semi and Hartenstein fit that the most but Kuzma is a better passer/bball IQ than both with Hartenstein not as far behind which is also key in more ball movement for our supposed "high octane" offence. I really don't expect anyone else unless I missed someone (with Bam being a darkhorse but I don't think he has enough shooting and passing ability)?!

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                    Besides who we've looked at, the one thing I always keep hearing Tolzman talk about is the ability to switch and guard multiple positions and combine that with our desire to add more shooting and I think the decision is just boiling down to who does those 2 things the best.

IMO that player is Jonah Bolden, considering no one's able to work him out yet, I'm not sure who we could say is the player that can defend 1-4 the best, while also being a good shooter. I think of who we've looked Semi and Hartenstein fit that the most but Kuzma is a better passer/bball IQ than both with Hartenstein not as far behind which is also key in more ball movement for our supposed "high octane" offence. I really don't expect anyone else unless I missed someone (with Bam being a darkhorse but I don't think he has enough shooting and passing ability)?!
                    Definitely intrigued by Bolden. Just imagine if he stayed at UCLA and played with Lonzo that would have been sick. Will be cool to see where he gets picked.

Comment

• Kurucs is commonly mocked to be around the Raptors at 23, and while I myself didn't particularly love him, one less name in the pool is always a shot to a team's options.
                      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Diallo, Williams, bridges withdrawing as well has thinned things out a bit since March. Not sure whether it's better to trade up, down or hold?

Comment

Diallo, Williams, bridges withdrawing as well has thinned things out a bit since March. Not sure whether it's better to trade up, down or hold?
                          Holding seems fine. All the names everyone seems to be interested in still stretch well into the 2nd round. Trade up only if there's a clear must-have target, as always.

Comment

• Apparently OG has been underwhelming in some scouts eyes...

https://sethsdrafthouse.com/finch-re...s-fa57b7c494ef

There's some hope after all lol
                            Last edited by JamesNaismith; Mon Jun 12, 2017, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              Holding seems fine. All the names everyone seems to be interested in still stretch well into the 2nd round. Trade up only if there's a clear must-have target, as always.
                              If the names are there in the 2nd then trading back might make sense. I think u can make a good argument for all three cases but I agree, unless there is a good deal. For example, in the Reddit mock, the gm managed to trade Carroll for Gerald Henderson, ojeleye and beachem (and there were guys I like more than beachem still on board. I don't think that deal is realistic but I'll take a reduced version of it.

Comment

If the names are there in the 2nd then trading back might make sense. I think u can make a good argument for all three cases but I agree, unless there is a good deal. For example, in the Reddit mock, the gm managed to trade Carroll for Gerald Henderson, ojeleye and beachem (and there were guys I like more than beachem still on board. I don't think that deal is realistic but I'll take a reduced version of it.
                                BTW, Lou Will and the rest of the admins on this board would hate for that trade to happen - it would screw up their podcast post-game awards if Gerald Henderson was on the Raps

Comment

Working...
                                X