Clear All

• G__Deane
    replied
    It's Marc, Serge and FVV that have to be dealt with, not Kyle

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Yeah, same with kyle. Give them close to what they're getting now for another year, keeping the 2021 books clean. Then you could get one or both at a discount if you go over market value next year
    We already got Kyle for one more year after this at $30,500,000 😎

(unless I’m crizazy)

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    Most ideal scenario (imo) is things go really well in the postseason, he proves he’s still got value and we bring him back on a lucrative one year deal, and then go from there.
    Yeah, same with kyle. Give them close to what they're getting now for another year, keeping the 2021 books clean. Then you could get one or both at a discount if you go over market value next year

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Most ideal scenario (imo) is things go really well in the postseason, he proves he’s still got value and we bring him back on a lucrative one year deal, and then go from there.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    I wouldn't do a three year deal under any circumstances.....unless you're totally prepared to cut him and eat the 3rd year if necessary

Leave a comment:

• JawsGT
    replied
    If you can get marc at 65% of his current contract, even with a term of say 3 years, you do it. He'll have value at that rate regardless, even if he barely plays.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    I wonder where Marc's head is at in terms of his NBA career. How long does he want to play? Where does he want to finish his career? Is money still a motivator?

His brother Pau played in 77 games for the Spurs at the age of 37. But he started his journey man career at 34 when he went to the Bulls. At the age of 38 he played for both the Spurs and Bucks, but for only like 30 games. And then sort of retired, but didn't officially as he signed with the Blazers but has yet to play a game. When he joined the Bulls his contract went from around $20M a year in LA to $7M a year in Chicago. Basically a 65% drop in salary. He got rewarded though when he went to San Antonio as his contract doubled. From $7M to about $15M and he was 36 at the time. That was during the cap boom though.

Marc is 35.. so he's hitting that journeyman era like his brother. Assume he takes a 65% drop in salary to stay in Toronto as a starter.. that's about $8.75M a year. A little bump up to $9-10M and I could see Masai matching. The only issue is for how long? Is a 2 year deal sufficient, or is he looking for a longer term? If term is important I don't know how Masai agrees to that considering his age. Pau became a shell of who he was when he ended up in San Antonio.

If Marc plays about 65-70 games a year and playoffs yet continues to play like he has this year, then I would say keep him. He's an important cog to our machine and I don't think Masai will want to stop winning. He likes it too much.

A lot of teams will want Marc on their roster though. He's a good vet / team player. And now has a ring. I mean Iggy just got a $15M extension after sitting out for half the year. And I'd rather have Marc on my roster over Iggy any day of the week.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

He still offers so much though when he’s on the court. Nothing wrong with a little load management, which this largely appears to have been, (the length of his absence.)

Sometimes load management leads to Chips... or at least I seem to remember that happening somewhere.
    Load management is more like a scheduled day or two off and not adding a week onto multiple injury periods lol
    And if you'd have to do it for Marc, Kyle and Serge, they'd never play together lol

Leave a comment:

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    G__Deane wrote: View Post

Marc's injury was a head scratcher that looked less serious than it turned out. If the dude is breaking down, signing him for more than a 1 year deal would be foolish imo. Hope he's re-energized and healthy for the balance of this one though
    He still offers so much though when he’s on the court. Nothing wrong with a little load management, which this largely appears to have been, (the length of his absence.)

Sometimes load management leads to Chips... or at least I seem to remember that happening somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Marc Gasol injury report..seems like Marc is ready 2 come back against suns..and powell is few more weeks..Nick Nurse as asked by reporters 😊
    Marc's injury was a head scratcher that looked less serious than it turned out. If the dude is breaking down, signing him for more than a 1 year deal would be foolish imo. Hope he's re-energized and healthy for the balance of this one though

Leave a comment:

• Dr Hannibal Lecter
    replied
    Marc Gasol injury report..seems like Marc is ready 2 come back against suns..and powell is few more weeks..Nick Nurse as asked by reporters 😊

Leave a comment:

replied
    Happy 35th birthday to Big Spain! Hopefully no hamstring-aggravating celebrations for him today

Leave a comment:

• nba_4_life
    replied
    Marc Gasol on changes in the NBA

Leave a comment:

• nba_4_life
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post

Also his floor game, and his defensive positioning, and his awareness...dude is fucking good at the center position, old man smarts and strength.

I think he's got a few more years in him near this level, he already lost his speed a long time ago lol
    I think he does as well but needs to "load management"

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Wow. Marc and his shooting stroke have been looking fan-fucking-tastic!
    Also his floor game, and his defensive positioning, and his awareness...dude is fucking good at the center position, old man smarts and strength.

I think he's got a few more years in him near this level, he already lost his speed a long time ago lol

Leave a comment:

Working...
X