Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    You mean Casey or Stevens?

I think Stevens has an average roster. I think we have a better than average roster.
    Say perhaps around 8 games better than average roster?

Anyway, there's no way I can defend Casey for not being a top 3 coach in the league but what I meant by my "postup/iso" remark was that I think Casey gets a somewhat disproportionate amount of blame for the "iso" phenomenon. (but it could be mostly just residue from last season - there's a ton of that stench still hanging around).

It definitely happens though I think it's not as often as it seems, could be more a result of the timing.

At times it's definitely a play call by Casey, or at least permitted by Casey. But a % of the time it's just DD going rogue and trying to score on his man. He either brings the ball up the court on his own or ignores/doesn't wait for the offball action to happen. And then other times the offensive set has stalled and they give it to DD to try to bail them out.

You can criticize Casey for all of that but I do think that DD has earned a certain level of trust from his coach and teammates - just not from a lot of the fans lol and we all know whose more important.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      So, how do you then explain the fact that guys who came from other organizations like Biyombo, Joseph and Patterson are all guys having career years under Casey?
      Well...

CoJo is simply playing more than he ever has in the past - but I don't think he is necessarily playing better rather than more. His Scoring, Ast and Reb rates are pretty much in line with his career. His FG% and 3P% are down, but that is certainly fair and to be expected somewhat with his career high in FGA.

Patterson isn't having a career year. He has the lowest PPG, RPG, APG since his rookie season. His FG% and 3P% are both below his career averages. He's playing well for what we ask of him, but not really sure how it's a career year.

Biyombo seems to be a great fit for what Casey wants and expects. But as the point made was the coach adjusting to the players, having a player who fits having a career year (in their 4th year) isn't really much boon to the point imo.

slaw wrote: View Post
      How do you explain Lowry going from malcontent to superstar?
      Lowry was on the path to stardom in Houston, before an injury cost him his starting spot to Dragic. Casey originally attempted to neuter Lowry, with terrible results. Since then, he's managed to leave Lowry to play as he sees fit. Which has worked out well, but ultimately the reason that Lowry is playing at a superstar level is that he is a very good basketball player.

Or Derozan going from guy who could only dunk and run to all-star?
      DD has worked hard to improve. In the past, it was the mental side (poor choices) that seemed to be the bigger issue. He seems to have moved on from that this year. Is that from Casey suddenly providing a different message or has DD simply "gotten it" this year? Hard to say. DD certainly seems to fit under Casey.

What about JV and Ross getting better every year?
      Both are young player who were drafted in the top 10, shouldn't the expectation be that they get better each year? Are we not just seeing the natural progression of lottery talent picks? Are they as good as they could have been is much more debatable.

And what about all this happening while the team wins ~55 games (I refuse to buy the absurd premise that wins and losses don't matter when evaluating a coach)? I mean, is it all in spite of Casey? I guess you can argue that but there's far more logical gymnastics required than simply conceding that maybe it is some combination of the front office putting together a complimentary roster, the players playing well and Casey and his staff getting the most (or a lot) out of them.
      It has previously been well discussed, but I don't think wins is the best indicator of coaching since the GM, players also have significant impact on that success. But what do you expect with a talented roster - even a terrible coach should be able to scrap together some wins. The fact that Casey hasn't cost us a significant number of (regular season) wins doesn't make him a good coach. Good coaches are on the positive side of the ledger, Casey might be a neutral (or worse).

I don't think that Casey is a great coach and he clearly has his faults and the playoff failure hangs over his head (hey, wins and losses do matter after all apparently!) but, at the same time, a lot of good things are happening on his watch and it beggars belief to think that it has nothing to do with him, let alone is happening in spite of him.
      A lot of bad things happened under his watch too. Bargnani come hell or high water. The Rudy Gay Era. The Nets series coaching gaffes. The Wiz series. John Salmons. Winning this week doesn't erase those things or negate those on his resume - he is better this year, but that doesn't make him a very good coach.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• At the end of the day we can go back and forth on whether Casey is a good coach or not all until thy kingdom come.

The referendum on Casey is coming. NBA Playoffs. Can you get it done or not? Masai got him the pieces, barring injury (knock on wood) we are good enough to beat anyone in the east (including Cleveland, although we would be underdogs in that case). The expectation is to get to AT LEAST a highly competitive second round and preferably give Cleveland or whoever a fight in the conference finals. Less than that and he's got to go. Get that done? Unless you've got a star coaching candidate to bring in, re-ink him for a year or two and keep adding pieces.

You don't need to best coach in the NBA to win the title (see Spoelstra, Doc Rivers, etc) but you do need a good and competent one who can at least get out of the roster what is supposed to come out of the roster. Casey can show that competency by achieving in the playoffs this year. If he doesn't, bye.

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
          Anyway, there's no way I can defend Casey for not being a top 3 coach in the league but what I meant by my "postup/iso" remark was that I think Casey gets a somewhat disproportionate amount of blame for the "iso" phenomenon. (but it could be mostly just residue from last season - there's a ton of that stench still hanging around).

It definitely happens though I think it's not as often as it seems, could be more a result of the timing.

At times it's definitely a play call by Casey, or at least permitted by Casey. But a % of the time it's just DD going rogue and trying to score on his man. He either brings the ball up the court on his own or ignores/doesn't wait for the offball action to happen. And then other times the offensive set has stalled and they give it to DD to try to bail them out.

You can criticize Casey for all of that but I do think that DD has earned a certain level of trust from his coach and teammates - just not from a lot of the fans lol and we all know whose more important.
          I'm not really going to comment on the blame for iso phenomenon, because that is beyond anything I have really said. If you wanna try and hold me accountable for the masses, then go ahead, but won't accomplish much.

DD iso hasn't really been a good call (based on the %s), yet it has certainly been either encouraged or permitted. The only point of the Stevens article was that good coaches focus on a players strengths and hide their weaknesses. For years, DD hasn't really been pushed by the coaching staff to get into the right situations or take the right shots. Too much dribble, too many mid-range jumpers (with bad %s), not enough off-ball movement, not enough post ups. The Demar from 3 years ago was best suited to be an off-ball cutter with post ups and getting into the lane; but his offence involved little to no movement off-ball, infrequent post ups (even when it is going well they inexplicably stop going to it sometimes), and a lot of dribble attack. When DD got hurt, Ross came in, and despite being a completely different style of player, was forced into following DDs role. Well it doesn't really work that way, and a coach should be adjusting to the skillset and limitations of the individual players - Casey has never really done that.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I saw your coach Dwane Casey walking around here earlier. He was carrying himself like a pretty serious guy—but those are usually the funniest people behind the scenes.

KL:*Man, I’m telling you, if you wanna see some funny stuff, go find some clips of his interviews. He’s the most country-est, down south, old-school...

DD:*Case, he be hard on us, but he is one of the greatest dudes you can know.

KL:*Ever.

DD:*It’s just great to have a coach like that, knowing that he’s gonna give you the freedom to be yourself, as long as you just go out there and play hard. It’s rare to find coaches of that caliber. And with the success that he’s had with us, I just always wanna see him succeed. With that, everything Case gets—if it’s Coach of the Month, whatever—he thanks us. And we’re playing for him.

KL:*He’s our guy. Everybody tried to make a big deal out of me and him—we didn’t see eye to eye my first couple years [in Toronto]. But honestly, that man’s done a lot for my career.

DD:*With [Casey and Kyle], their relationship is like a marriage. You look at everybody’s marriage—you’re gonna fight, you’re gonna argue, but y’all gonna enjoy the great times together. That’s what it’s all about. His relationship with Case is like a marriage. Me and Case, it’s like, father-son.

KL:*Yeah, he’s yo daddy. [Everybody laughs]

DD:*I kinda come between them.

KL:*When [DeMar] comes around, [Casey and I] gotta figure it out and make it work. He’s like, “Listen y’all, why can’t we just figure this out?” That’s him—that’s his role.

DD:*And at the end of the day, we all laugh at it. If it’s something that’s going on, I just look at Case, like, I got him [points to Kyle].

KL:*We don’t have too many moments of those anymore. But it’s been fun, man. It’s crazy how things work out.

Read more at http://www.slamonline.com/them-boys-...TjlgAYxQoST.99

Good read.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Thanks for the read!

Comment

• Here to stay;

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-coach-future/

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  I saw your coach Dwane Casey walking around here earlier. He was carrying himself like a pretty serious guy—but those are usually the funniest people behind the scenes.

KL:*Man, I’m telling you, if you wanna see some funny stuff, go find some clips of his interviews. He’s the most country-est, down south, old-school...

DD:*Case, he be hard on us, but he is one of the greatest dudes you can know.

KL:*Ever.

DD:*It’s just great to have a coach like that, knowing that he’s gonna give you the freedom to be yourself, as long as you just go out there and play hard. It’s rare to find coaches of that caliber. And with the success that he’s had with us, I just always wanna see him succeed. With that, everything Case gets—if it’s Coach of the Month, whatever—he thanks us. And we’re playing for him.

KL:*He’s our guy. Everybody tried to make a big deal out of me and him—we didn’t see eye to eye my first couple years [in Toronto]. But honestly, that man’s done a lot for my career.

DD:*With [Casey and Kyle], their relationship is like a marriage. You look at everybody’s marriage—you’re gonna fight, you’re gonna argue, but y’all gonna enjoy the great times together. That’s what it’s all about. His relationship with Case is like a marriage. Me and Case, it’s like, father-son.

KL:*Yeah, he’s yo daddy. [Everybody laughs]

DD:*I kinda come between them.

KL:*When [DeMar] comes around, [Casey and I] gotta figure it out and make it work. He’s like, “Listen y’all, why can’t we just figure this out?” That’s him—that’s his role.

DD:*And at the end of the day, we all laugh at it. If it’s something that’s going on, I just look at Case, like, I got him [points to Kyle].

KL:*We don’t have too many moments of those anymore. But it’s been fun, man. It’s crazy how things work out.

Read more at http://www.slamonline.com/them-boys-...TjlgAYxQoST.99

Good read.
                  When did this interview happen? Great to hear Lowry now in full support of Casey.

Comment

• Completely agree w/ Masai.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I hope that we'll succeed in the playoffs, but what to do if the same shit continues? I like our name. Toronto Bottlers doesn't sound good to me.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        When did this interview happen? Great to hear Lowry now in full support of Casey.
                        No more than 3 weeks ago. Yeah, it is.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• "He's been phenomenal, I think, whether it's reading games or adjustments and just growth overall as a coach," Masai told reporters,*via TSN's Josh Lewenberg. "To be honest, everybody makes such a big deal about it, like, OK, if we don’t go past the first round, what’s going to happen? Coach Casey deserves to be the coach, that’s 100 percent and I stand by that.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I'm not a fan of dwane casey, obviously. I don't think he's a good coach. I think he has a good team and a borderline mvp candidate. but i don't really give a shit who's coaching if we're winning now and in the future.

so, casey lovers, if we fuck up the playoffs and he's exposed yet again, what then?

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                              I'm not a fan of dwane casey, obviously. I don't think he's a good coach. I think he has a good team and a borderline mvp candidate. but i don't really give a shit who's coaching if we're winning now and in the future.

so, casey lovers, if we fuck up the playoffs and he's exposed yet again, what then?
                              U mad bro?
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                                U mad bro?
                                lol no

Comment

Working...
                                X