No announcement yet.

Everything Jared Sullinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So yeah unfortunately doesn't look like much of a difference...but still better than Scola. Celts did say he looked in shape in media day but put it all back on by a little over half way thru the season sooooo we'll see...

I'm already calling now that I think by near year end PP will occasionally be put into the starting line up and Sully will be coming off the bench with Siakam now n then to play small ball. Sully played alongside Amir a lot last year for BOS, just saying.
    Last edited by JamesNaismith; Tue Sep 27, 2016, 02:11 AM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      GLF, you are amazing if you didn't look that up. Sully took only 1.9% of his 103 3pt attempts from the corner, which is..... 2 corner 3s all last year. lol. So, we really have no idea how that's going to work. I have a hard time picturing Sully in a contract year with his offensive skillset being happy to just sit in the corner and be a bailout option for Lowry and DD hot potatoes. More importantly, becoming a stretch big so far away from the basket could negate one his biggest strengths - offensive rebounding and easy putbacks.
      On midrange shots from 20-24 feet, Sully shot a large volume and hit 50% of them last year. At 24+ feet (beyond the arc above the break), he shot 28%. The corner three is 22'. He can hit that shot.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Sully will be this years Lou Will/Biz. I expect him to have a very good year. He can hit the corner Steven had him launching above the break 3s for some strange reason last couple years. His passing will add another dimension to the half court offense.His screen setting will get our guards really good looks. He is a good offensive rebounder but, a better defensive rebounder. Which will lead to a lot of nice outlet passes. He will average just under a double double with 2+ assist and better efficiency.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue Sep 27, 2016, 09:00 AM.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          On midrange shots from 20-24 feet, Sully shot a large volume and hit 50% of them last year. At 24+ feet (beyond the arc above the break), he shot 28%. The corner three is 22'. He can hit that shot.
          Not really sure you can compare long 2's to corner 3's. Especially 20-24 ft - the longest of long 2's. Opposing teams want you to take the long 2, but they will close out harder on the corner 3. That is pretty much standard defense in the NBA these days.

That said, this is where Sully's versatility should help, where he can drive or pass. He just needs to hit enough of them to keep the defense honest. It could work, like Scola for a while, but better. Let's hope.
          Last edited by golden; Tue Sep 27, 2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Why not let Sully take the mid-ranger's then? Post up high, kick it into JV when needed or pass it out Lowry/Carroll.

Sully's a great back to the basket player and he can pass. Use that to your advantage.
            Axel wrote:
            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
            KeonClark wrote:
            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
            KeonClark wrote:
            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Uhh, Sully in the corner is absolutely the right decision. If he's in the corner so is his man, and it will only be when he's out there with JV (he'll also get minutes at C when he'll be asked to play more inside), so the transition D should be fine.

Sully can shoot the 20 footer with incredible accuracy. He just can't stretch his range out to 24 feet. He should be great from the corner, extra work on it this summer or not.

This is absolutely great news. If they were trumpeting about him being a threat from the top of the arc, or a primary option as a post player, I'd be very worried. He can be a high post facilitator (which he'll get chances to do off the bench and as a pick outlet with the starters) and a floor spreader, as well as a top notch rebounder. That's how he should be used.
              Don't know about that Dan. He'll be on the floor with JV....but also DD and Lowry. And we know where the bulk of the shots are going. Having perimeter jumpers launched with Sully in the corner and JV banging down low....not sure i like the idea of that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Don't know about that Dan. He'll be on the floor with JV....but also DD and Lowry. And we know where the bulk of the shots are going. Having perimeter jumpers launched with Sully in the corner and JV banging down low....not sure i like the idea of that.

Perimeter jumpers? DeRozan and Lowry were among the league leaders in drives. They live inside. Yes, DeRozan takes a lot of midrange jumpers too, but he'd be taking a lot more of them if you have Sully and JV both inside clogging up the paint. Lowry takes 46% of his shots from 3 (which is a good thing), but only 19% outside of 10 feet otherwise. DeRozan takes 44% of his shots inside 10 feet, and that doesn't include the 25% of his plays that end at the free throw line (the bulk of which come from inside opportunities).

Could you explain exactly what you don't like the idea of? Last season with Lowry, DD, PP and JV on the floor (ie no real offensive rebounding from the 4, mostly parked in the corner), the Raps had a 127 ORTG in 250 minutes played together. The offence works GREAT with JV as the only interior big, so long as the other big can shoot (which Sully can, from the corners).
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  Not really sure you can compare long 2's to corner 3's. Especially 20-24 ft - the longest of long 2's. Opposing teams want you to take the long 2, but they will close out harder on the corner 3. That is pretty much standard defense in the NBA these days.

That said, this is where Sully's versatility should help, where he can drive or pass. He just needs to hit enough of them to keep the defense honest. It could work, like Scola for a while, but better. Let's hope.
                  Corner threes (all catch and shoot threes, really) tend to be pretty much completely uncontested, similar to long two's. Look around at contest percentages. As an example, let's use Sully from last season - on all 2 pointers, his shot breakdown looked like this:

Tightly contested: 1.9 FGA's
                  Contested: 2.6 FGA's
                  Open: 2.3 FGA's
                  Wide Open: 1.9 FGA's

On 2 point shots from 10 feet out?

Tightly contested: 0.1 FGA's
                  Contested: 0.4 FGA's
                  Open: 1.7 FGA's
                  Wide Open: 1.8 FGA's

Remember, these are two point attempts, though his threes tell a similar story:

Tightly contested: 0.0 FGA's
                  Contested: 0.1 FGA's
                  Open: 0.3 FGA's
                  Wide Open: 0.9 FGA's

And let's use Patterson as an example as well, to check the Raps' system is no different.

On 3 point shots:

Open: 1.2 FGA's
                  Wide Open: 2.1 FGA's

See? Three point shots skew almost the same as mid-range shots - they tend to be uncontested.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Corner threes (all catch and shoot threes, really) tend to be pretty much completely uncontested, similar to long two's. Look around at contest percentages. As an example, let's use Sully from last season - on all 2 pointers, his shot breakdown looked like this:

And let's use Patterson as an example as well, to check the Raps' system is no different.

On 3 point shots:

See? Three point shots skew almost the same as mid-range shots - they tend to be uncontested.
                    Great to see. Like I said, he will hopefully replicate what Scola did, who took very few 3's in his career but his 3-pt shooting was foreshadowed by long 2's. Sullinger is going to surprise alot of people with his versatility and BBIQ, as long as he keeps his fitness and tries to fit in with Lowry and DD. He has the potential to be much better than Scola on offense.
                    Last edited by golden; Tue Sep 27, 2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                      Dammit I wanna see a full body pic or vid of Sully now to see what can of shape he's in n it better not still be a pear.
                      Looks the same to me...

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post

So yeah unfortunately doesn't look like much of a difference...but still better than Scola. Celts did say he looked in shape in media day but put it all back on by a little over half way thru the season sooooo we'll see...

I'm already calling now that I think by near year end PP will occasionally be put into the starting line up and Sully will be coming off the bench with Siakam now n then to play small ball. Sully played alongside Amir a lot last year for BOS, just saying.
                        The whole watching other guys get paid $80 million while I had to take $5 million and now it's a contract year again will, I suspect, be ample motivation....

Comment

Perimeter jumpers? DeRozan and Lowry were among the league leaders in drives. They live inside. Yes, DeRozan takes a lot of midrange jumpers too, but he'd be taking a lot more of them if you have Sully and JV both inside clogging up the paint. Lowry takes 46% of his shots from 3 (which is a good thing), but only 19% outside of 10 feet otherwise. DeRozan takes 44% of his shots inside 10 feet, and that doesn't include the 25% of his plays that end at the free throw line (the bulk of which come from inside opportunities).

Could you explain exactly what you don't like the idea of? Last season with Lowry, DD, PP and JV on the floor (ie no real offensive rebounding from the 4, mostly parked in the corner), the Raps had a 127 ORTG in 250 minutes played together. The offence works GREAT with JV as the only interior big, so long as the other big can shoot (which Sully can, from the corners).
                          Gotta add the perimeter jumpers, turnovers, etc. that happen when DD and Lowry hit walls of defenders. Gotta count how frequently that ends up with the other team getting a quality fast break.

Now i dont have numbers for all this, but a glaring offensive weakness has always been how much we rely on creating from the perimeter, and how poorly we pick our spots when we try to speed up our offence. I'm just skeptical at the general lack of sense we see in our offence in such respects. It's exactly the kind of thing that doesn't seem like a big problem in the regular season where we can still win 50+ games with such minor issues. They become major in the playoffs when teams will try to speed us up and force our heavily used ballhandlers into bad decisions. If both our bigs are always on the baseline either as releases to take shots off kick outs or under the rim banging...then yeah i think there could be something to worry about.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Gotta add the perimeter jumpers, turnovers, etc. that happen when DD and Lowry hit walls of defenders. Gotta count how frequently that ends up with the other team getting a quality fast break.

Now i dont have numbers for all this, but a glaring offensive weakness has always been how much we rely on creating from the perimeter, and how poorly we pick our spots when we try to speed up our offence. I'm just skeptical at the general lack of sense we see in our offence in such respects. It's exactly the kind of thing that doesn't seem like a big problem in the regular season where we can still win 50+ games with such minor issues. They become major in the playoffs when teams will try to speed us up and force our heavily used ballhandlers into bad decisions. If both our bigs are always on the baseline either as releases to take shots off kick outs or under the rim banging...then yeah i think there could be something to worry about.

Why would both bigs ever be on the baseline? One or the other will be setting an on-ball pick most plays (Ideally, Sullinger on the right wing to pop to the corner, or JV somewhere on the left side to roll to the basket or flash into the post). We won't be lacking for release valves. It will probably be just like last year, except with Sullinger being an actual effective player instead of Scola being a black hole of suck. Remember, Scola took more than half his threes last season from the corner, we don't have to change anything to fit Sully in.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

On 3 point shots:

Okay well this is great to see. Are most of Patterson's 3 point attempts corner 3's?
                              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Great to hear. I never noticed that our PFs get most of their 3's from the corner but it's nice to see that stats prove they do. Everything should work out well if Sullinger continues to shoot 50% from 20-24 feet this season then. I'm excited to see how this goes.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X