Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. So the only reason DeRozan would agree to a S&T with us, is if he wants to go to a specific team who doesn't have the cap space to sign him directly.
    Yup.. and there are lots of teams that have the cap space to sign a max free agent this summer.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Yup.. and there are lots of teams that have the cap space to sign a max free agent this summer.
      I suppose it wouldn't kill me to sign him, and see how the first 3 months of the season goes, and then explore trades in January 2017.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I suppose it wouldn't kill me to sign him, and see how the first 3 months of the season goes, and then explore trades in January 2017.
        If he's back, then he's going to be back for the entire year in my opinion.

I know Masai traded Nene not too long after he was signed, but DD's a different animal. Teams I think would be reluctant to trade for him mid season without a training camp to integrate him into their line up. Unless we look at some Rudy Gay type of trade.. but that would only happen if the Raptors are sucking.

Comment

If he's back, then he's going to be back for the entire year in my opinion.

I know Masai traded Nene not too long after he was signed, but DD's a different animal. Teams I think would be reluctant to trade for him mid season without a training camp to integrate him into their line up. Unless we look at some Rudy Gay type of trade.. but that would only happen if the Raptors are sucking.
          I think Masai only looks to trade DeMar in the first place if the Raptors are sucking anyway. That said, I do think we get a much better return than the Gay deal (as great as the side deals from that turned out the initial return was nothing special). Remember, the cap will be going up even further the following summer, and getting a guy like DeMar for 25M might be seen as a bargain in a summer where 35M+ contracts are being handed out.

But I do agree that in all likelihood, if the team re-signs DeMar this summer, the next "exit" as it were would be at the 2017 draft, if DeMar disappoints in the playoffs next season.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• A smart GM would never let a 26 year old coming off his 2nd all-star appearance walk for nothing. Never.

Like DanH says... The Cap is going up even further.

If we can get picks for Bargnani...

If we can get picks for Vasquez...

Why oh why would we let Demar walk for nothing???

It makes no sense.

Would KD or Horford come here without our leading scorer who helped us get to 56 wins? Especially seeing how Lowry has been struggling in the playoffs.....Lets be real....No all-star is coming here to play with Powell or Ross as their SG.

The only question is wether Demar wants to leave. I don't think he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The interesting thing about this summer as compared to previous years is that the teams that are generally good free agent destinations have a lot of cap space and need to make an immediate impact (ie, can't stay in the lottery). Then there is that cap boom.

That's why guys like Batum, DeRozan and Conley are going to be getting more than they should be. That's why someone like Biyombo will probably be making double figures. It's a good time to be a free agent.

Personally I think Masai does what he did with Amir. Silently let him walk. Amir and DD to me are very similar. Loyal guys, that prop up the city. DD is a two time all-star and Amir was just a role player.. but they both personified what it meant to be a Raptor. Yet Amir just left and it ended up being no big deal to anyone.

Which tells me that Masai could let DD walk and as long as he does something in the off season to make up for it (ie, sign a starting caliber player like Batum or Horford) most people won't blink an eye and life will move on.
              You can't sign either of those guys with 15 mil
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                And another reason why the Raps need to at least win this round to make it a semi-attractive spot (re a decent team) for the good f/as' to consider seriously.
                Disagree. Raptors were swept in the first round and made LA's short list
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  You can't sign either of those guys with 15 mil
                  Who said you can? Let DD walk, and trade Ross for a draft pick. You now have enough for a $25M contract (or at least are pretty close to it).

Comment

Who said you can? Let DD walk, and trade Ross for a draft pick. You now have enough for a $25M contract (or at least are pretty close to it).
                    Masai is not going to let DD walk.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                      A smart GM would never let a 26 year old coming off his 2nd all-star appearance walk for nothing. Never.

Like DanH says... The Cap is going up even further.

If we can get picks for Bargnani...

If we can get picks for Vasquez...

Why oh why would we let Demar walk for nothing???

It makes no sense.

Would KD or Horford come here without our leading scorer who helped us get to 56 wins? Especially seeing how Lowry has been struggling in the playoffs.....Lets be real....No all-star is coming here to play with Powell or Ross as their SG.

The only question is wether Demar wants to leave. I don't think he does.
                      Flexibility for Masai to go in a new direction would be the benefit of letting him walk.

Bargnani and Vasquez were both under contract, so not really the same situation.

I agree that KD or Horford aren't coming here if we go this route, but there is a very strong possibility that they aren't anyway. Plan B shouldn't be capped out and bringing back the same group.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Everything Demar Derozan

Axel wrote: View Post
                        Flexibility for Masai to go in a new direction would be the benefit of letting him walk.

Bargnani and Vasquez were both under contract, so not really the same situation.

I agree that KD or Horford aren't coming here if we go this route, but there is a very strong possibility that they aren't anyway. Plan B shouldn't be capped out and bringing back the same group.
                        Sorry did the Playoffs end already? Why would Masai want to go in a different direction? He's bringing back Casey (or so he says). There's no evidence that Masai wants to go in a new direction.

It's a no brainer to bring back your star player heading into his prime.

You can always trade him or make changes later. Letting Demar walk sends a VERY bad message. Flexibility can still be achieved by trading TRoss and or moving on from others (Scola/Biz/Thompson)......

It all seems like wishful thinking from the same people who've wanted Demar gone for years. Some people actually held out hope that he would be traded at the deadline. Smh
                        Last edited by special1; Thu May 5, 2016, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Sorry did the Playoffs end already? Why would Masai want to go in a different direction? He's brining back Casey (or so he says). There's no evidence that Masai wants to go in a new direction.

You can always trade him or make changes later. Letting Demar walk sends a VERY bad message. Flexibility can still be achieved by trading TRoss and or moving on from others (Scola/Biz/Thompson)......

It all seems like wishful thinking from the same people who've wanted Demar gone for years. Some people actually held out hope that he would be traded at the deadline. Smh
                          If he feels that the ceiling for this team is what we've seen these playoffs, then a new direction would be a wise choice.

Seems more like the people who have been waiting for the playoffs to really assess this group haven't liked what we've seen from 2 players in particular. Playoffs was always going to be the crucible for this team and the results haven't been promising.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Sorry did the Playoffs end already? Why would Masai want to go in a different direction? He's brining back Casey (or so he says). There's no evidence that Masai wants to go in a new direction.

Letting your star player walk doesn't send any kind of message. Everybody understands the business side of the NBA, which includes players walking from their teams in free agency and teams moving on from their FA players all the time. Who's criticizing Portland as an organization right now? Nobody - the opposite, actually, their management proved how savvy they are in moving on from the LA era.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                              If he feels that the ceiling for this team is what we've seen these playoffs, then a new direction would be a wise choice.

Seems more like the people who have been waiting for the playoffs to really assess this group haven't liked what we've seen from 2 players in particular. Playoffs was always going to be the crucible for this team and the results haven't been promising.
                              It's not over yet....

Comment

It's not over yet....
                                No it's not but the evidence thus far points to a new direction. All season long the story has been "wait to see what happens in the playoffs" - well we are here and it's happening before our eyes, might as well talk about it even if it changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X