Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    No wait, the Bebe pick was direct from Dallas. The pick was 2 picks later from Houston via Brooklyn and was Shane Larkin.
    Yep. The pick ended up being Larkin. In terms of assets back they basically got nothing. They cleared his salary off the books. Probably better not to start paying him that salary in the first place.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Yep. The pick ended up being Larkin. In terms of assets back they basically got nothing. They cleared his salary off the books. Probably better not to start paying him that salary in the first place.
      Yeah, blank slate with more opportunities is better than that comparative return.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• On his head: a white NBA 2016 All-Star Hat. Pulled over his blue long-sleeved sweatshirt: an NBA All-Star jersey. Then DeRozan stands, turns and points out the words on the back of the jersey — DeROZAN DAD — written just below the No. 10 that his son, DeMar, wears for the Toronto Raptors.
        Asked why he maintains such strong ties to Compton when others have bailed on the community, DeRozen asked in return, “Why would I not go back?”

“Compton is a big reason why I am the person I am today. I play in Toronto. But Compton is home.”
        http://theundefeated.com/features/re...o-the-fullest/

For anyone doubting how DeMar feels about Toronto versus LA.

His dad wears an All-Star hat and an All-Star jersey... not Raptors apparel. He 'plays in Toronto.' Compton is home.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          http://theundefeated.com/features/re...o-the-fullest/

For anyone doubting how DeMar feels about Toronto versus LA.

His dad wears an All-Star hat and an All-Star jersey... not Raptors apparel. He 'plays in Toronto.' Compton is home.
          I've seen his Dad wear the black and red raptor jersey that says "Toronto" on the front on Open Gym. That doesnt mean anything. If the Lakers were actually good I would believe that his going home but there not.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I guess I have a few "devil's advocate" type thoughts that Masai may have on giving Demar the max this summer:

1. Finding guys that can handle being the focal point of the opposing teams defense and still produce even at DD's level doesn't just happen. He gets doubled, planned for and focused on and still puts up all-star numbers. Can Norm or Ross step up their production (or even maintain their current level) if they become more of a focus.

2. Being the steadily improving team is hard. Its not sexy and takes patience. It's not that hard to dream up trades to break up a team or make a deal for a headline. Its hard to be the Memphis Grizzlies. Its hard to be the LA Clippers. The Pacers for the last 4 years before 2016. Re-signing your own guys and waiting for the young guys to improve to make that leap organically is difficult but it I want to see it through.

**Having said that, I don't believe it. I don't dig into a ton of analytics. I look at basic stats, as well as the eye test. I think this team does not miss a step next year without Demar.

Comment

• BrydenB wrote: View Post
              I guess I have a few "devil's advocate" type thoughts that Masai may have on giving Demar the max this summer:

1. Finding guys that can handle being the focal point of the opposing teams defense and still produce even at DD's level doesn't just happen. He gets doubled, planned for and focused on and still puts up all-star numbers. Can Norm or Ross step up their production (or even maintain their current level) if they become more of a focus.

2. Being the steadily improving team is hard. Its not sexy and takes patience. It's not that hard to dream up trades to break up a team or make a deal for a headline. Its hard to be the Memphis Grizzlies. Its hard to be the LA Clippers. The Pacers for the last 4 years before 2016. Re-signing your own guys and waiting for the young guys to improve to make that leap organically is difficult but it I want to see it through.

**Having said that, I don't believe it. I don't dig into a ton of analytics. I look at basic stats, as well as the eye test. I think this team does not miss a step next year without Demar.
              We'll definitely be fine without DD with the way JV and Powell have improved.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Or move Norman Powell into starting rotation let DD reunite with Lou Williams in LA and spend that money to get FA PF.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                  The usage hasn't match the production, so not really impressive since usage can literally be given to anyone.

You let him walk because he isn't good enough for the salary that some team is going to offer him and that the team can do better with that money.

Over-paying a player for the next 5 years is a bad move for a franchise. So maybe we don't have someone ready to step up into that role next year, but you don't make a 5 year mistake to cover for a problem that could be solved in 1 year.
                  Stop looking at him in a vacuum, this team won a lot of games and has had tremendous success with him as the main guy. His personal stats are not overwhelming, but this team is built around what he does (getting to the line, high volume shooting from midrange). If your argument is that we need to completely change our offensive play style if we want to get better (i.e. not get rolled by the cavs) and have a shot at winning a title, that could be an interesting discussion, but unless we are going to seriously retool over the next year or two (while Lowry is still in his prime) and change the offensive approach and culture with this squad, I think you would be foolish to let him walk.
                  "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

• The only way I see DD in LA is if he's traded for Blake Griffin. Doc has always praised DD since back in his Boston days. Other than that I don't see it happening. His not going to sign with the Lakers cause they suck. Masai will not let him walk after a ECF berth.
                    Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Wed May 18, 2016, 01:12 PM.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      The only way I see DD in LA is if he's traded for Blake Griffin. Doc has always praised DD since back in his Boston days. Other than that I don't see it happening. His not going to sign with the Lakers cause they suck. Masai will not let him walk after a ECF berth.
                      You're probably right, but the Cavs right now are a good example of the huge difference between getting to the ECF and getting to the NBA finals. The Raptors have had a great year, they're also still in need of a significant talent upgrade and it's going to have to come from somewhere. Otherwise they're going to end up like the current Hawks team.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• hateslosing wrote: View Post
                        Stop looking at him in a vacuum, this team won a lot of games and has had tremendous success with him as the main guy. His personal stats are not overwhelming, but this team is built around what he does (getting to the line, high volume shooting from midrange). If your argument is that we need to completely change our offensive play style if we want to get better (i.e. not get rolled by the cavs) and have a shot at winning a title, that could be an interesting discussion, but unless we are going to seriously retool over the next year or two (while Lowry is still in his prime) and change the offensive approach and culture with this squad, I think you would be foolish to let him walk.
                        Although I still expect DeRozan to be re-signed, I don't think it would be overly impactful if he left.

Whether DeRozan stays or goes, I think this team desperately needs a new offensive strategy; hero-ball does not work.

The Raptors don't have any wings that could replace DeRozan, if asked to play the same role. However, the Ross/Powell combination could effectively replace DeRozan in a revamped system:

- Ross/Powell offer better 3pt shooting and better defense than DeRozan

- JV would get a significant increase in offensive touches and responsibility (more inside-out play)

- a healthy Carroll will play a bigger role offensively (as he apparently was promised and wants)

- an upgraded starting PF would also provide more offensively than Scola did all season

- Lowry be Lowry, with more opportunity to facilitate (thanks to new offensive system and an improved starting lineup) and less need to rely on him to singlehandedly lead the team

- solid depth: Ross/Powell, Joseph, Patterson
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed May 18, 2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Although I still expect DeRozan to be re-signed, I don't think it would be overly impactful if he left.

Whether DeRozan stays or goes, I think this team desperately needs a new offensive strategy; hero-ball does not work.

The Raptors don't have any wings that could replace DeRozan, if asked to play the same role. However, the Ross/Powell combination could effectively replace DeRozan in a revamped system:

- Ross/Powell offer better 3pt shooting and better defense than DeRozan

- JV would get a significant increase in offensive touches and responsibility (more inside-out play)

- a healthy Carroll will play a bigger role offensively (as he apparently was promised and wants)

- an upgraded starting PF would also provide more offensively than Scola did all season

- Lowry be Lowry, with more opportunity to facilitate (thanks to new offensive system and an improved starting lineup) and less need to rely on him to singlehandedly lead the team

- solid depth: Ross/Powell, Joseph, Patterson
                          This is pretty much where I stand. Except with that added benefit of a new system meaning Lowry gets less worn down.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            You're probably right, but the Cavs right now are a good example of the huge difference between getting to the ECF and getting to the NBA finals. The Raptors have had a great year, they're also still in need of a significant talent upgrade and it's going to have to come from somewhere. Otherwise they're going to end up like the current Hawks team.
                            I agree, its time to get that superstar.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• hateslosing wrote: View Post
                              Well for one, Lowry is the main guy, not Demar. The success we had this year was built around the play of Lowry, that's why he got MVP consideration.

We should absolutely be changing the offensive approach and culture. The approach is flawed.
                              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• BrydenB wrote: View Post

2. Being the steadily improving team is hard.
                                To devils advicate your devils advocate:

1) it is hard to find those guys, but 2 things: JV is clearly ready for that role, and; DD isnt quite good enough in that role to take us to the next level, so why financially handi-cap the team while also limiting the potential. I think moving in a different direction is best at this point

2) steadily improving takes a long time, but maintaining the status quo will ensure that improvement from your most important pieces stagnates.

If the Spurs have taught us anything, its that you need to be offensively flexible (and not just play one style of basketball) and everyone needs to be good defensively.

Comment

Working...
                                X