Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Sure, but let's ignore the silly second jump, which is just a side effect of teams not being able to spend enough to keep up with increasing revenue. The real cap rises should look like 89, 93, 97, 102, 107. The cap adjusting itself to catch up to underspending screws up the calculation for a couple years after the jump. Looking at those numbers, DD's contract (if flat) would decrease in percentage of the cap every year. Just because we get a bonus year next summer where his contract is an even smaller percentage than it should be doesn't negate the overall point - that flat contract would be a better deal in future years than it would when signed.
    There's an assumption there as well though... the contract becomes a better bargain in future years - assuming his production has no drop off at any point during the contract.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      There's an assumption there as well though... the contract becomes a better bargain in future years - assuming his production has no drop off at any point during the contract.
      I think that is a pretty safe assumption for a player who will be in his prime and has improved every year.

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

Comment

One could similarly say there is an assumption being made by some people that his play will not get better, in spite of this season's play being head and shoulders above his career prior to that.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          One could similarly say there is an assumption being made by some people that his play will not get better, in spite of this season's play being head and shoulders above his career prior to that.
          Historically, athletic, drive first SGs peak around 27-29 then drop off after that, with the few exceptions being guys who are All-Time greats.

Vince had his first sub-20 PER season at 30, McGrady at 28. Those guys had higher peaks than DeMar, too.

It wouldn't be unheard of for him to be at his absolute peak right now, and start to drop off in the next few years.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Carroll AND Ross or DeMar?

I'd rather keep Carroll and Ross. If you get rid of both, who the hell spaces the floor for us?
            Whomever we get back, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

https://youtu.be/RwEIjbfOHD0?t=9s

Comment

they were about the same.
                  let's not forget Demar looked like a willing passer for most of the regular season.

Playoffs were a different story.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    they were about the same.
                    let's not forget Demar looked like a willing passer for most of the regular season.

Playoffs were a different story.
                    If Demar had maintained his regular season play into the playoffs, I would be fine overpaying him to stay. But it's not just that he came into the playoffs and slumped, he substantially played like a worse player with terrible selfish decisions. He really seems to believe that the best thing for the team in tough situations is for him to play like Kobe and that is a problem. We saw it in clutch situations all year (ISO offence) and in the playoffs. Hard to change a players mental approach to the game.

So not surprised that Demar had better assist numbers than George, would have expected them to be fairly similar to be honest. Demar in the regular season was (mostly) great. Playoff Demar was Maggette.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      If Demar had maintained his regular season play into the playoffs, I would be fine overpaying him to stay. But it's not just that he came into the playoffs and slumped, he substantially played like a worse player with terrible selfish decisions. He really seems to believe that the best thing for the team in tough situations is for him to play like Kobe and that is a problem. We saw it in clutch situations all year (ISO offence) and in the playoffs. Hard to change a players mental approach to the game.

So not surprised that Demar had better assist numbers than George, would have expected them to be fairly similar to be honest. Demar in the regular season was (mostly) great. Playoff Demar was Maggette.
                      Our fondest hope is that either he sees that himself, or someone points it out to him while he is planning his workout and training regimen and watching game tape for this summer's workouts. It seems to me that he is more of a facilitator during the US National team scrimmages. Possibly it has been explained to him that is a big part of his role.

We have never seen him playing as much within the flow of the game as we did this past season. I would expect to see a repeat next year. If the Raps can find another scorer that DeMar trusts, I think the assist ratio would go up. He has started passing to JV. He willingly passes to Lowry. I think that during the game he just thinks he is the best choice in most situations.

Comment

Every contract in the NBA is handed out with the assumption that the player won't tail off during the span of it, you realize this right?

Comment

• Demar at the max or something close to it is far from a slam dunk, but it's going to be necessary given the dynamics of the cap this summer, how he played last season, and the team coming off the Eastern Conference Finals.

Masai will be doing everything he can to maintain and build off the momentum from this year, and letting one of your best players walk for nothing - a player that you have spent the last 7 years developing no less - with no concrete plan B in place seems like basically the opposite of how to do that.

I'm fine with maintaining the asset at the best possible salary, and hoping that he continues to make strides in his game that allow him to play a little more efficiently, or some small changes in our offensive philosophy deliver us the same outcome. Or you may find yourself trading him in 12 months from now - who knows. The one thing I'm sure of is that letting walk without getting anything in return but the hope that Ross can step up to be a full 82 game starter is not the recipe for success.
                          Last edited by Fully; Mon May 30, 2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post

coaching

Comment

• Coaching comes to mind here. Casey has been encouraging him to launch at every turn for the last 5 years. He's not going to stop now, and for good or ill, this is who DeMar is. He thinks that every shot he takes is a good shot, and even went so far as to say that he likes taking contested shots instead of wide open ones. Remember that gem of a quote? It's one thing to have that approach when you have supreme talent. DeRozan does not, and when he goes into I got this mode on offense, it's like watching a car wreck in slow motion. With Casey back, his approach and tendencies aren't going to suddenly change-- and that's why I have a problem with bringing him back. He just doesn't get it.

Comment

What a strange comparison.. we're talking about the ECF Raptors and the Pacers? The reality of AST% is you kind of need other players on the team who can put the basketball into that hoop thingy. DeRozan has that, George doesn't.
                                your pal,
                                ebrian

Comment

Working...
                                X