Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    ^we run a lot of action to get him open so I don't know how Casey going to 'figure out a way to get him better shots'

Problem is he catches the ball, stops, lets the defense set, then attacks

This was a problem highlighted by Coach Nick during the season on one of his vids
    This was actually how I started noticing it.

Once it's pointed out to you; its something that you just can't stop seeing.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      ^we run a lot of action to get him open so I don't know how Casey going to 'figure out a way to get him better shots'

Problem is he catches the ball, stops, lets the defense set, then attacks

This was a problem highlighted by Coach Nick during the season on one of his vids
      Yeah this is the most enfuriating thing about him.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
        Yeah this is the most enfuriating thing about him.
        Oh no, that is a ways down on the most infuriating list

1) terrible close outs
        2) picking up nobody in transition
        3) picking up someone who is already covered in transition and forcing his teammate into a tough spot
        4) blaming his teammate on defense
        5) his defense
        6) not passing in transition
        7) Looking off JV
        8) missing the swing pass
        9) letting the defense set

I could go on...

Comment

• I think we've gotta let DeMar go. But there's a couple of criticisms people here are pulling up about his character. I don't agree with them at all. He's a good guy, thing is good guys have flaws as well. He's not a cancer in the slightest.

He's just not a smart player, I think you can fix that by installing a good offence where all he does is slash and kick off screens with some corner 3s and midrange jumpers off pindowns to keep defenses honest. But it's too late to test if that'll work now, because if it doesn't, you're paying a ineffective player Max money.

I was going to be OK with giving him the max after the season he had. But he seems to revert too easily to hero/ISO ball, we're seeing the effects of that right now.

I think it's a better idea to take the money we were going to offer him and give it to Batum or Horford. Or if you can, S&T him for some high picks/blue chip prospects (Hezonja/Gordon/LaVine?).

I have hope that he might turn into a Ginobili/Wade type (obviously worse than either of them) because that suits him 1000x better than the Kobe ripoff he's trying to be. But I guess another team is going to have to try to see if they can get that out of him,I wouldn't want to take that risk.

Comment

• His situation feels similar to David Price's. I mean you have to overlook tenure, but the fact that Price had a great season, but a terrible offseason. I think you cannot overlook that and have to let him go if he doesn't pick it up.

And this is not even due to his scoring. If Demar wasn't such a one dimensional player, then I'm sure people could overlook the offensive struggles.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              Don't think I agree with the point about Masai being too loyal. He traded Vasquez, a player he's had a close connection to for a very long time.
              And as has been brought up before, he traded Nene very shortly after re-signing him to a lucrative deal.

Guy manages how he wants...I hope.

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                His situation feels similar to David Price's. I mean you have to overlook tenure, but the fact that Price had a great season, but a terrible offseason. I think you cannot overlook that and have to let him go if he doesn't pick it up.

And this is not even due to his scoring. If Demar wasn't such a one dimensional player, then I'm sure people could overlook the offensive struggles.
                Ya just in terms of general basketball roster building...you should never pay lucrative money to a sub-par defensive player.

In terms of how I want the Raptors to build a team is every player, 1 through 15, can play hard defense. Offensively we can adapt and change things based on those skills, but everyone has to be able to play hard D when the big lights come on. Defense or you play for a different team...that's how you set a franchise culture

People argued that DD was an average defender this season, but I maintain that he is below average at best...and he is straight up a liability defensively this series. One thing you can always control is your defensive effort, and he just doesn't bring it. I wouldn't risk a bad sign and trade to keep him. Unless we can trade him without bringing back any salary it just doesn't make sense

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                  I think we've gotta let DeMar go. But there's a couple of criticisms people here are pulling up about his character. I don't agree with them at all. He's a good guy, thing is good guys have flaws as well. He's not a cancer in the slightest.

He's just not a smart player, I think you can fix that by installing a good offence where all he does is slash and kick off screens with some corner 3s and midrange jumpers off pindowns to keep defenses honest. But it's too late to test if that'll work now, because if it doesn't, you're paying a ineffective player Max money.

I was going to be OK with giving him the max after the season he had. But he seems to revert too easily to hero/ISO ball, we're seeing the effects of that right now.

I think it's a better idea to take the money we were going to offer him and give it to Batum or Horford. Or if you can, S&T him for some high picks/blue chip prospects (Hezonja/Gordon/LaVine?).

I have hope that he might turn into a Ginobili/Wade type (obviously worse than either of them) because that suits him 1000x better than the Kobe ripoff he's trying to be. But I guess another team is going to have to try to see if they can get that out of him,I wouldn't want to take that risk.
                  Kobe ripoff? More like Ricky Davis ripoff, or is that too harsh for ya?

Comment

• If we max Demar AND pick up Caseys option, depending on how we finish our playoff run, I'll be ready to hop off the Masai train.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, I haven't really commented or anything since last night...I've been thinking about DeMar and his comments.....

So yeah, I want this guy gone. Not sure that'll happen, but his comments exemplify that this guy's never been as smart a teammate as you'd want from one of your top players. Looking to save face and throwing teammates under the bus? That's some serious douchiness. He'll probably never "get it" if he's saying that shit in his 3rd playoff appearance as a 7 year veteran. He clearly thinks he's a fucking superstar when he's just a volume scorer to be lucky to play in the situation and era he's in (ie gets to chuck and lots of limited/crappy SGs in the league at the moment).

It's gotten to the point where I think maybe it was a good idea to retain Casey. These guys are comfortable with him, especially DeMar, and if you changed coaches it provides another excuse for them. Now, Casey's not the best strategist and that's clearly affecting our playoff performance to at least some degree, but it's also pretty clear DeMar is just shitting the bed in a way that's pretty much completely on him.

Going into the summer I'm much more worried now about team composition than coaching. We need to overhaul things a bit here. I'm really hoping they can find some way to sign and trade DeMar now, and REALLY hoping that somehow ends up being for Jamal Murray.
                      Good post. Most posters and fans that follow closely are coming to realize it's time to move on from DD.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        Good post. Most posters and fans that follow closely are coming to realize it's time to move on from DD.
                        Yup

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                          I've never been super attached to him or anything, but he's been a decent player at decent value for us that seemed to have the right mentality that you'd be ok keeping him to figure out if he can work on a great team....but yeah those comments about guys not hitting shots when he passed them the ball was the straw that broke the camel's back. Can't have a fucktard like that around. Might be semi acceptable if he was playing great and actually looking to facilitate.....but he's not. Ship this fucker out.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• My hope is that they are just saying these things to the media (and he probably messed up on that particular comment) while internally discussing the real issues.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Yeah, I haven't really commented or anything since last night...I've been thinking about DeMar and his comments.....

So yeah, I want this guy gone. Not sure that'll happen, but his comments exemplify that this guy's never been as smart a teammate as you'd want from one of your top players. Looking to save face and throwing teammates under the bus? That's some serious douchiness. He'll probably never "get it" if he's saying that shit in his 3rd playoff appearance as a 7 year veteran. He clearly thinks he's a fucking superstar when he's just a volume scorer to be lucky to play in the situation and era he's in (ie gets to chuck and lots of limited/crappy SGs in the league at the moment).

It's gotten to the point where I think maybe it was a good idea to retain Casey. These guys are comfortable with him, especially DeMar, and if you changed coaches it provides another excuse for them. Now, Casey's not the best strategist and that's clearly affecting our playoff performance to at least some degree, but it's also pretty clear DeMar is just shitting the bed in a way that's pretty much completely on him.

Going into the summer I'm much more worried now about team composition than coaching. We need to overhaul things a bit here. I'm really hoping they can find some way to sign and trade DeMar now, and REALLY hoping that somehow ends up being for Jamal Murray.
                              Nailed it!

I was never a Demar hater, but I wasn't sold on him either. I always viewed him as a very predictable, 1-dimensional offensive player and knew from the get-go that the key to taking this team down is letting him do it. For all the skills he added through years of hard work (and that is one thing that impresses me about him), he can't bring all those skills together to be a viable offensive threat.

Maybe it's not all his fault, after all the offensive system in place...well...there doesn't even seem to be one. It's just "give the ball to Kyle or Demar and they'll make it happen". Neither of these guys are Lebron, or Jason Kidd, or any other player that could make up plays as they go along. Especially Demar.
                              Last edited by nubreed000; Sun Apr 24, 2016, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Did you guys watch the actual video? It did not feel like he was calling out his teammates, just that he was trying to explain how he was dealing with the extra attention, and what plays he could make. He looked down at the stats and said what came to mind. Then he immediately said he has to take better care of the ball.

I don't think he's as selfish as is being made out. We are playing the exact same kind of ball that we have been playing all year. Many of us said it was stupid and that it would hurt us in the playoffs. Well, that's what's happening now. I don't think that makes DeMar cancerous or selfish. It's just the natural outcome of having the same group of guys under the same bullheaded coach. The same line of reasoning we always use.

"Shots we normally make" is a philosophical one, not one of character. Is it really any wonder that our lead guys are rigid in their thinking after five years of leadership by one of the most rigid, inflexible coaches around?

Comment

Working...
                                X