Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ball4life wrote: View Post
    Fair enough.

So you are telling me we should reduce his usage to make him more efficient(I agree) all the while paying him ~20 million?(I don't)

And now we are comparing a legit 20-10 guy LMA to DD?

The homer-ism is off the chart here.
    All I said is DeRozan scores with about the same efficacy as LaMarcus Aldridge.

Aldridge's best scoring season was probably this past year:
    - 23.4ppg on 19.9 FGA (1.18pps)
    - 52.8 TS%
    - 30.2 USG%

DeRozan's was probably 2013-14:
    - 22.7ppg on 17.8 FGA (1.27pps)
    - 53.2 TS%
    - 28.0 USG%

I'm just talking purely about scoring here, and actually based on those stats it's pretty even between those two at their best. Obviously Aldridge brings more to the table in other areas (rebounding, great defensive metrics, etc). But scoring-wise, statistically there isn't a huge difference between the two in their highest scoring seasons.

Both guys shoot over half of their shots from mid-range, Aldridge is better at it, but DeRozan is better at getting to the free throw line. While I think everyone remembers the crazy scoring games LMA had against Houston in the 2014 playoffs, he actually scored 26ppg on 23 shots during 11 playoff games that year (50.9 TS%), which is not incredibly efficient.

They're very similar types of scorers just at different positions. I think what LMA does is looked at better, because people have the traditional idea that a SG is meant to be well... a shooter (from 3 not mid-range) and a power forward is supposed to have that in-between and inside game. So LMA fits the traditional definition of his position better than DD does, but they actually produced similarly as scorers in their best seasons.

I really want to emphasize that I am not saying DD is as good as Aldridge.
    Last edited by JWash; Thu Aug 20, 2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      Probably in the 80's or something.
      Ya, I could go with that.... maybe even early 90's.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        And if Mindlessness felt the urge, I am sure he could go back through the last 100 pages and find other posters with similar posts justifying a max contract or near max contract littered with rationale such as "team U-S-A!" "All-Star!" "Loyalty!" and "Hard work!"
        I will never find the urge to do that. Trust me.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
          I will never find the urge to do that. Trust me.
          You sure?

You could be Joe Pesci with me gone all DeNiro.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
            SCENARIO 1

It's next off season

DeMar's agent walks in and says

I want the five year max or my client walks (110 - 120 million dollars)

YES or NO
            No.

thead wrote: View Post
            SCENARIO 2

It's a month before the trade deadline DeMar's agent walks in and sits down with you

He says hey -insert your name here-

This is a list of teams we are interested in provided you do not want to pay the max. The interest between us and these teams is mutual (it's irrelevant for this scenario who the teams are but the package we get back is as follows.

1 top ten protected first round pick a 2nd round pick a prospect on a rookie deal (who does show promise but could flame out) and an expiring filler contract

Your option is here is take what you can get or max him out.

What do you do?
            I'm on the fence for this one.

thead wrote: View Post
            SCENARIO 3

You are sitting in your office sipping on gin juice. You are presently laid back in your chair, with your mind on your money, and perhaps your money is on your mind... Sorry Snoop was playing in the background

DeMar's agent walks in and hands you a piece of paper and says "write down the most money and years you are willing to offer."

You write down __ years and ____ million and slide it back.
            Most right? $20M/year for 4 years.

Ideally, $17M/y for 3 years.

EDIT: Think I should clarify, I would not recommend paying DeMar $20M/y, it's just the most he'd be able negotiate to with me.
            Last edited by Mindlessness; Thu Aug 20, 2015, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
              No.

I'm on the fence for this one.

Most right? $20M/year for 4 years.

Ideally, $17M/y for 3 years.
              Ideal for me is 90-95/5y. 18-19m each year

but he's probably going to get 100m/5y which im okay with
              Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                OKAY GUYS because I think a lot of us are closer on this then the thread reflects

Here's the scenario.
                1. No to Max (as ultimatum - But I don't think a "gun to the head" is his style. Which is why the opening position is out there now.

2. Take the picks/prospects. Similar to no. 1. And a good package, with lotta dough to spend.

3. $22Myr for 4yrs Respectfully close to Max. Reognizing he's a big part of what will bring further success and assets (in my view).

(I didn't peek at other answers first. GREAT, FUN POST!!! )

(I still think he'll sign for $20M, or a little less. When the FA dust is settling. Or a little less yet, maybe, before. Masai's cap-ologist will tell him how much less is necessary. Or maybe Dan. But book it.
                Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Aug 20, 2015, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post

- 52.8 TS%
                  - 30.2 USG%

DeRozan's was probably 2013-14:
                  - 22.7ppg on 17.8 FGA (1.27pps)
                  - 53.2 TS%
                  - 28.0 USG%

I'm just talking purely about scoring here, and actually based on those stats it's pretty even between those two at their best. Obviously Aldridge brings more to the table in other areas (rebounding, great defensive metrics, etc). But scoring-wise, statistically there isn't a huge difference between the two in their highest scoring seasons.

Both guys shoot over half of their shots from mid-range, Aldridge is better at it, but DeRozan is better at getting to the free throw line. While I think everyone remembers the crazy scoring games LMA had against Houston in the 2014 playoffs, he actually scored 26ppg on 23 shots during 11 playoff games that year (50.9 TS%), which is not incredibly efficient.

They're very similar types of scorers just at different positions. I think what LMA does is looked at better, because people have the traditional idea that a SG is meant to be well... a shooter (from 3 not mid-range) and a power forward is supposed to have that in-between and inside game. So LMA fits the traditional definition of his position better than DD does, but they actually produced similarly as scorers in their best seasons.

Not critizing but one is a shooting guard while the other is a power forward. A PF that shoots like a SG = MAX, a SG that shoots like a PF = mid-range

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Not critizing but one is a shooting guard while the other is a power forward. A PF that shoots like a SG = MAX, a SG that shoots like a PF = mid-range
                    Isn't it bigs that people usually expect higher shooting efficiencies from?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                      Isn't it bigs that people usually expect higher shooting efficiencies from?
                      It isn't just efficiency but TS%, Demars lack of a three pointer really hurts. It's easier to accept a mid-range game from rebounders than guards.

There have been a few times where DD gets caught arguing a call or gets flattened and can't get back on defence. Guards need to be able to get back

Comment

I'm just talking purely about scoring here, and actually (1)based on those stats it's pretty even between those two at their best. (3)Obviously Aldridge brings more to the table in other areas (rebounding, great defensive metrics, etc). But scoring-wise, statistically there isn't a huge difference between the two in their highest scoring seasons.

(2)Both guys shoot over half of their shots from mid-range, Aldridge is better at it, but DeRozan is better at getting to the free throw line. While I think everyone remembers the crazy scoring games LMA had against Houston in the 2014 playoffs, he actually scored 26ppg on 23 shots during 11 playoff games that year (50.9 TS%), which is not incredibly efficient.

1. Lets not compare DD's one and only good season (and ignore 5 others) with LMA's multiple excellent seasons. And this is LMA playing in a stellar starting 5 sharing the ball.

2. You yourself admitted LMA is a better scorer from midrange. This is despite LMA's post up primarily being the last resort to their offense while DD's midrange IS the primary option in our offense. Never mind the double team LMA gets in comparison to DD causing the drop off in percentages. And lets not forget LMA kicks the ball out starting a crazy ball movement which usually ends up in corner 3s. Meanwhile, DD forces the shit outta the shot or pass it to the nearest player with 2 seconds left.

3. Ofcourse LMA does multiple other stuff well enough warrant a key part of a team and is being paid like one for it. Do you think anyone would disagree on paying DD if he moves the ball, rebounds, defends and do multiple other things other than just scoring inefficiently? we wouldn't be having this conversation

JWash wrote: View Post
                        TS% is not the end all be-all. Yes it describes efficiency, but one must then look at role/situation to determine how good of a scorer a player really is. I mean DeRozan actually scores the ball about as well as LaMarcus Aldridge does.
                        which brings me to the initial point i was making. He is not a scorer you want to depend on. He is not a primary guy. And when you do bring in a primary guy eventually, his scoring is not going to stay the same (his bread and butter sorta speak). This is a 15pts 5rbs 4 ast guy we are talking about. And we should be paying him close to Max for his services?

I am not saying lets get rid of DD at all cost. But lets not get stuck in mediocrity by paying a mediocre talent star level money, weather the market dictates it or not.

If you still believe in 20 million +. Lets agree to disagree.

Comment

• 1) helllll no
                          2) i would absolutely take the trade for a first
                          3) 3 years 32 mil. To get paid you need to produce...

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                            Starting to feel very confident about my avatar bet for DeMar to break 31.5% from 3. Who'd I make that with again?
                            What's an avatar bet. Sounds Serious.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                              What's an avatar bet. Sounds Serious.
                              It is, very.

Comment

- 52.8 TS%
                                - 30.2 USG% .............
                                I know it takes awhile to put out a post like that, spell- and grammar-check and so on. I'm still new here (tho I'm a "starter" ... like KieeeeeeFFFF! so I may be overdoing the verbiage. Nevertheless, I appreciate your effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X