TV Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    Wife leaving for a few weeks on Monday, so we're binging it. 8 episodes in now. Episode 4 wrecked me, as a father, though.
    me too and then 5 was slow. i'm on 7 right now

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      me too and then 5 was slow. i'm on 7 right now
      The initial Punisher storyline I thought was amazing, then it slowed down a bit. I feel like it's setting up some good stuff for the end of the season though.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• The Super Rich and Us ...a BBC production

The making of the gross inequities in the financial sector and creating the wealth class (in good part)...but at whose expense?

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
          The making of the gross inequities in the financial sector and creating the wealth class (in good part)...but at whose expense?

Jamie Johnson of the Johnson & Johnson dynasty did a similar documentary way back in 2006 called "The One Percent" and he uses his name to get some really amazing interviews (Bill Gates Sr., Adnan Khashoggi, Steve Forbes, Milton Friedman etc.). Pretty mind blowing stuff. He manages to upset Milton Friedman actually, which is pretty funny.

I think he actually was nominated for a few Emmy awards for a previous Documentary he made called "Born Rich", and the young people growing up in these households.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
            Jamie Johnson of the Johnson & Johnson dynasty did a similar documentary way back in 2006 called "The One Percent" and he uses his name to get some really amazing interviews (Bill Gates Sr., Adnan Khashoggi, Steve Forbes, Milton Friedman etc.). Pretty mind blowing stuff. He manages to upset Milton Friedman actually, which is pretty funny.

I think he actually was nominated for a few Emmy awards for a previous Documentary he made called "Born Rich", and the young people growing up in these households.
            Good for him. They are a few like him (one of the heirs to the GM fortune runs his philantrophy full time as does Bill Gates of course in the education and medical fields helping disadvantaged people all over the world etc.). Even Warren Buffet does.

I look forward to watching this thanks. Hope it's not as disgusting as the one I posted. Those of course (with govt's help) took advantage of the rules and in some cases committed fraud.... and no one went to jail.

Trivia: Woody Johnson is the owner of the New York Jets and is a member of the same family. At least such people got their money thru inheritance from perfectly legitimate business which actually created/manufactured products rather than shuffling around financial instruments and screwing with ordinary people's savings.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              Good for him. They are a few like him (one of the heirs to the GM fortune runs his philantrophy full time as does Bill Gates of course in the education and medical fields helping disadvantaged people all over the world etc.). Even Warren Buffet does.

I look forward to watching this thanks. Hope it's not as disgusting as the one I posted. Those of course (with govt's help) took advantage of the rules and in some cases committed fraud.... and no one went to jail.

Trivia: Woody Johnson is the owner of the New York Jets and is a member of the same family. At least such people got their money thru inheritance from perfectly legitimate business which actually created/manufactured products rather than shuffling around financial instruments and screwing with ordinary people's savings.
              Funny you should mention Warren Buffett ... he disowns his grand daughter, Nicole Buffett, for participating in this very same documentary.

But yes, I agree that there is a difference between those who just have money (ie Royals) compared to those whose predecessors did innovate and create. But when its also so much easier to create wealth when you already have it, which is a lot of what that documentary covers.
              Last edited by Joey; Sat Mar 19, 2016, 05:58 PM.

Comment

The initial Punisher storyline I thought was amazing, then it slowed down a bit. I feel like it's setting up some good stuff for the end of the season though.
                im on ep 4 atm and im loving the punisher so far ... shows do that ... the really came out of the gate strong with the punisher so i guess so are just laying the groundwork for the finale ... or so i hope so when i get to it

Comment

• Finished season 2 last night. Jesus, just brilliant TV. I'll leave any spoilers out. Episodes 3 & 4 might be the best 2 hours of superhero TV ever though.
                  twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Finished season 2 last night. Jesus, just brilliant TV. I'll leave any spoilers out. Episodes 3 & 4 might be the best 2 hours of superhero TV ever though.
                    im on episode 8, going to watch it in a bit, go to the gym then watch the raps, then watch some more ... i wish netflix would make all super shows now ... jessica jones was great too coming from a different perspective of superheroes storytelling and i cant wait for luke cage series and im intrigued about ironfist with the controversy surrounding it

Comment

Finished season 2 last night. Jesus, just brilliant TV. I'll leave any spoilers out. Episodes 3 & 4 might be the best 2 hours of superhero TV ever though.
                      Just finished episode 4. It's decent but I'm finding it pretty empty in general. Jon Bernthal is far and away the best part of the show. The guy deserves an Emmy. Matt Murdock/Charlie Cox is pretty dull, and Foggy and Karen's storylines have been pure filler. The black cop, the disposable Irish bad guys, it all feels really cliche.

I'd honestly take the end of Flash season 1 over this.

Comment

• finished it last night. really good. only let down for me was episode 5. LOVED 9. good show. season 1 winner, jessica jones winner, season 2 winner, can't wait for luke cage. and with luck a punisher series would be great too. with deadpool doing so well a punisher r rated movie could be good and i read that a script for lobo was in the works, which would be wicked.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          2 episodes in... the action is so awesome, but man the writing has turned to shit. Really hope it gets better.
                          The pacing is a big problem. It was last season, too. A lot of that comes down to the supporting characters (Foggy and Karen) not being particularly interesting and the writers have to try to shoehorn in stuff for them to do. A lot of superhero shows have this issue but it's very noticeable in Daredevil cause you watch episodes back-to-back.

The production value is better this year but it still feels like a show made on the cheap. I want just one fight scene in the daytime and not on an abandoned rooftop, hallway, alley or warehouse. Is that too much to ask? Jessica Jones felt cheap, too, but they did a better job with the straight drama stuff so the show never felt quite so dim and rudimentary.

Spoilers: A perfect example is when Karen goes to Castle's old house. Most shows would set this up with a sale and she goes there to an open house and maybe there's a suspicious realtor or suspicious buyers hanging around and she's forced to do some quick thinking or something. Nope not here. Cause that would require hiring actors and shooting intricate scenes. Instead, you guessed it, abandoned location, at night, in the dark, throw in some faceless extras and another unseen getaway. Even the most interesting scene of the season (I'm only in episode 4) with Castle shooting his way through the hospital ends in a dark, abandoned stairwell/alley, at night, and a mostly unseen getaway. That's all to save money.

Comment

• I fell like I am now slogging my way through Daredevil. The Elektra stuff has really fallen flat for me and I just can't get over how cheap this show looks. I don't know, in Jessica Jones Hell's Kitchen really feels like a character in the story but here, we don't even see Hell's Kitchen..... it's mind boggling given that it's such a part of who DD is. Honestly, not sure I'm making it to the end of this series......

Comment

• I'm slogging my way through too. I love the action; I've always been a sucker for martial arts. But they've basically turned Foggy into a nagging housewife. I can hardly stand him anymore.

And the show does look cheap. Or at least static. Everything is talk talk talk talk talk. At least with Game of Thrones they use sex scenes to deliver all the exposition.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                                I fell like I am now slogging my way through Daredevil. The Elektra stuff has really fallen flat for me and I just can't get over how cheap this show looks. I don't know, in Jessica Jones Hell's Kitchen really feels like a character in the story but here, we don't even see Hell's Kitchen..... it's mind boggling given that it's such a part of who DD is. Honestly, not sure I'm making it to the end of this series......
                                Gotham is the only "Superhero" TV show on TV to me that doesn't have that "Cheap" feel to it .. I can't watch SHIELD, or Flash, or any of those other ones .. don't have Netflix, but DD never struck me as anything ground breaking.

Gotham is fantastic though, and has managed to stay good throughout for me, mostly due to the incredible casting and characters. Even the Mr. Freeze arc wasn't terrible.

Comment

Working...
                                X